Obj import Export Morph Question

Okay...here is my question...

I have a shirt that fits poorly, under normal circumstances, but I have all sorts of tools, such as, smooth modifier and fit control to get it to work...

if I do all these fixes and then export the item as an OBJ, and then import it as a morph...it should work ....right???

Is there any reason it wouldn't?  I'm not chaning the topology in terms of faces or vertex...

JD

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

Are you saying that MLP is failing? The most common reasons for that are not exporting at base resolution, or including something like eyelashes in the export accidentally.

If MLP is succeeding but the morph doesn't look as expected when dialed in, then it's likely that you need to change the settings for Reverse Deformations. This is the case when the morph was created with an already morphed or posed base figure.

One other thing worth mentioning is that in order for smoothing modifier changes to be taken into account and baked into the exported morph, Interactive Update must be turned on.

HTH.

- Greg

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited July 2020

You need to export at Base Resolution. (Setting Sub D to zero will NOT work).

You need to make sure that the scale the item comes back in at is the same as in Studio.

You can NOT add or remove geometry. EG: If you delete a vertex, then add it back - chances are it will break. You would have to undo said delete.

Ideally work in default pose and default shape; if you're not, then import back in and select the settings to allow for the differences.

(If you ever use external software to adjust the obj, then you will also need to check/find where the option is to Keep Vertex Order.)

Post edited by nicstt on
  • nicstt said:

You need to export at Base Resolution. (Setting Sub D to zero will NOT work).

You need to make sure that the scale the item comes back in at is the same as in Studio.

You can NOT add or remove geometry. EG: If you delete a vertex, then add it back - chances are it will break. You would have to undo said delete.

Ideally work in default pose and default shape; if you're not, then import back in and select the settings to allow for the differences.

(If you ever use external software to adjust the obj, then you will also need to check/find where the option is to Keep Vertex Order.)

OK...this makes sense... I'll try it again...

I just wanted to make a morph out of the result, post smooth modifier...and I assumed smooth modifier didn't add geometry.

JD