My attempt to create clothes in Blender using SinckleYeld´s tutorial

Comments

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,863
    edited December 1969

Oh cgcookie has nice stuff. I remember watching these tutorials when I was getting started a few months ago : )

edited December 1969

Today I did some work on the shoes. I UV unwrapped them, assigned materials and tried to rig them to save them as a wearable preset but I have a problem.

heres what I did:

1 - I loaded genesis
    2 - I posed the genesis´s to the pose I used when creating the shoes
    3 - I imported the shoes, this is what they look like before transfer utility (see pic 1)
    4 - I run them through the Transfer Utility (Template - None) and this is how they end up (Pic 2 )

Any ideas what could be wrong?

And ignore the crazy colors : D Those are temporary to distinguish the different material zones : D

aftertransfer.png
    500 x 500 - 92K
    notransfer.png
    500 x 500 - 87K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,102
    edited December 1969

The pose is ignored - as with the shape, the Transfer utility is working from the zeroed state of the shoe mesh and figure to work out the relationship. There are workarounds that make life a bit simpler but high-heeled shoes are a pain.

edited December 1969

I tried to do it as Sickle said by posing Genesis and then conforming the shoes : ) So any idea how exactly can I make the high-heeled shoes work? : ) I thought that maybe the toe bones will be the problem but deleting them didnt fix this.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited July 2014

Richard Haseltine, looks correct there.

Looks like transfer is not seeing the pose the figure is in, only the relation from where the shews are to the T-pose. (Think superimposed figures, one in t-pose as transfer sees it, the other as you see it in the interface)
    Move the shews so it is on the figure, in the t-pose.

Then make a separate pose preset.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

Better yet, You have the shews on the feet to start...

Now move the feet with the shews on the feet, back to the T-pose (with the shews following). Then try a transfer.

SKYWARN just activated, got to go, chat later.

edited December 1969

What T-pose do u mean? : )

edited December 1969

O.K. we pooled threw that one with some minor bruises. In any case...

The one with the ankle and toe rotations at 0 (zero). I was going to make a cartoon strip of sorts, then hell went to a bucket here, lol.

edited July 2014

Ok, a diagram for what I have difficulty putting into words, lol.
    Sorry for the ramped confusion. Screen-caps from Daz Studio, describing what I was referring to.
    (edit)
    The correct steps, HighHeel Tutorial is named, and discussed in the next few posts.

edited December 1969

OH thanks for reply Zarcon I already rigged them though! A lot of trial and error, I was about to give up : D BUT HERE THEY ARE YAY!!!!

I_DID_IT_.png
    500 x 500 - 88K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Your project is really coming together dave! I have been watching your progress in between my own meddling in Silo. You are doing a great job. Could you explain how you got the shoes to fit the foot pose?

edited July 2014

Hey Kharma and thanks for your feedback! I followed some tutorial I downloaded from http://www.sharecg.com I think it was called something like rigging shoes for genesis or so. If u dont find it I can try to dig through my internet history and get the link for u if you want.
    And although the tutorial was made for Genesis 1 it worked for me in Genesis 2 but it did take some experimenting before I got it working. If you intend to rig shoes for the first time it does take a while and it also depends on the type of your shoes. High heels are apparently the worst : D But dont give up! It can really get frustrating, take breaks before every attempt and eat chocolate, at least thats how I keep my sanity!

As for the pose from the picture, this is a completely random custom pose I made as I grabbed the ankle and pulled it up in excitement when I found out it finally fits! : D

Now Im working on saving pose preset that only affects the feet with the shoes on for all the other pose presets that are in the library because when I load genesis and lets say I load in the Pose 04 for genesis 2 female ( u can check it out in your library if u dont know which one I mean), the shoes do not automatically lift the feet up and in this case they are not working properly.

So I need to make a pose preset so it works with poses that were not made for high-heeled shoes. I hope I can do it. Wish me luck!

Post edited by Toyen on
    edited July 2014

That is excellent dave.evert, you got it to work. Glad to see I didn't confuse you me and everyone to much.

I'm curios how far off that cartoon is from how it is done? should I pull it to prevent confusing people?
    (edit)
    this one?
    DS4 Tutorial:Rigging High-Heels for Genesis rev1
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/61954/favorite/3/PDF-Tutorial/DS4-TutorialRigging-High-Heels-for-Genesis-rev1

edited December 1969

Yep that was the one! But as I said, u have to kind of experiment with it to get the result done. And I think I just made a good fix for poses that werent made for high heels! It works most of the time so I think I´ll leave it like that and move to the next thing. I also have a simple purse and a bracelet so the outfit now has 5 parts. I might add a ring or a necklace but I dont know about that yet.

after2.png
    500 x 500 - 137K
    before2.png
    500 x 500 - 117K
    after.png
    500 x 500 - 89K
    before.png
    500 x 500 - 89K
    edited July 2014

Did you have to run the Transfer-Utility twice as mentioned in that pdf?
    (edit)
    I like that pose fix, it looks good.

edited December 1969

It depends if you decide to do the weight mapping in the second half yourself or if you use transfer utility and then fix the Transfer utility weight maps and bones. I used transfer utility and fixed it.

edited December 1969

Hows it going guys and how is your shoe rigging? I find creating textures the most time consuming operation so far. Maybe not the hardest but definitely the longest process ever. Especially when I decide that the one I have just created is not good enough so I start all over again : D But the one I´m working on right now looks promising so I hope it will be good. I have flowers decorating the dress in the upper part so now it is really hard to make a texture so the pattern doesnt interfere with the flowers that are already on the dress. what about u guys? : )

edited December 1969

been to busy to get threw any more blender videos. I haven't done another "Wilmap in motion" render in far to long.

I understand the texture bit, I haven't posted any more simple patrons in my thread for far to long. They look good, tho they could be better I keep thinking, then I never get around to working on them again, lol. "O" i need to add that thread to my sig, eventually.

Also been answering what questions I can in the new user forum. Some day, I hope to get back to this. Honestly, I'de rather leave clothing to y'all, and wilmap. I want simple things like computer guts to simulate component layouts. "O" and to add handles to existing skirts and dresses.

edited December 1969

Oh ever get the feeling that when u are creating something, the more time you spend with your project the uglier it seems to you? : D I have been creating a bump map for the shoes, oh the stitching is killing me. But it has to be there, for the realism : D I am beginning to miss Blender after a few days spent in Daz testing the textures. I think I´m gonna model a new purse for the outfit tomorrow. I have like one simple purse but I think I can do better.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Oh ever get the feeling that when u are creating something, the more time you spend with your project the uglier it seems to you? : D I have been creating a bump map for the shoes, oh the stitching is killing me. But it has to be there, for the realism : D I am beginning to miss Blender after a few days spent in Daz testing the textures. I think I´m gonna model a new purse for the outfit tomorrow. I have like one simple purse but I think I can do better.

When that happens, I ask Fuseling to look at it, or my other sister who isn't in 3D but has a good artistic eye. Sometimes you've just been looking at something too long.

edited December 1969

Hey there Sickle!! Definitely! The worst thing is when you constantly try to improve things and the improvements are doing more damage than good : D I´m a perfectionist so I always feel like it could do a little better! Cant wait to finally get some renders done with this set. Rigging is finished. The dress is almost done, I just cant seem to find the right specularity and glossiness. Shoes are still missing a bump map which should be done today and I think I´ll create a purse.

edited December 1969

Hey there everyone! I have finally finished first version of the bump map for shoes. It still needs further work but for now I´ll leave it like that. Also I have been looking at hits article http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/publishing/adding_jcm_clothing/start

So if I get it right, in case I want to make the dress look more realistic in poses where its stuck to the legs (and it shouldnt be) I can achieve that with creating a JCM? I triend the handles but the disadvantage is that the handle part of the object needs to be position individually every time the figure moves I guess.

Now if I create a JCM for lets say a sitting pose, will it only work for that one particular pose or will it try to generate a more realistic result for all similar sitting poses using the JCM created for that one particular pose?

Also, check out the shoes! :D A bit barbie ATM though : D

shoespreview.png
    500 x 647 - 256K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Those shoes are looking good, Dave! Love the flower detail and the tiny stitching. Sorry, not a clue yet about JCMs though.

I signed up with CG Cookie as a citizen so I'm pretty much buried in Blender videos these days following along with the Blender Cookie guys. Then I'm going to get back in the saddle and try my hand again at some clothing and shoes for DAZ again. Lately if I needed something in a hurry, I'd just take a bought model and modify the mesh (just for my own use), which is a time-saver but not as satisfying as starting from scratch. Hope to be following in your footsteps soon!

edited December 1969

Hey Jindi and thank u! Working on this outfit I do miss some Blender stuff : D CG Cookie is a nice website, I havent been there for a while though. When Im done with this outfit I must get back to Blender and build a solid scene to bake. They just added Cycles Baking which is AMAZING!

edited December 1969

Good progress! I have no problem with some ladies being much girlier than I am (I miss the chunky punk heels of the 90's, me). And anyway, they are a cute style. ;)

A JCM works in concert with a joint rotation, not a pose. So what happens is:

1. I export the dress with one thigh bent 90 degrees. Just one, at base resolution, not conformed to any figure, nothing else in the scene.
    2. I edit the dress in the modeler to smooth out the sharp crotch kink or other visible issues. I export to obj again.
    3. With the dress still in its bent pose, I load that as a morph with JCM in the name, and reverse deformations set to "yes."
    4. Now it's time for Property Editor. I make sure I have a Property Editor tab. With the dress selected, I find my JCM in the Parameteres list (putting the letters JCM in the search bar is helpful). I expand it so that I can see everything under it, including "Controllers" and "Sub-Components."
    5. I expand "Controllers" so that I can see "1st Stage" (Add/Subtract) and "2nd Stage" (Multiply/Divide). 1st stage is what we use to activate the morph only when a joint is bent; 2nd stage is what we use to have it only activate when an FBM is on.
    6. With the Property Editor still open and expanded to this place, I go to the Parameters tab of DS with the dress still selected, and I find the Bend rotation (XRotate) of the thigh that is bent. I right-click and set Parameters into Edit Mode.
    7. Now to the left of the morph name, a letter with dotted lines around it appears, usually M or P. I click that and hold down the mouse button so I can drag it over and drop it onto the Property Editor onto 1st Stage under that Bend rotation.
    8. Once the rotation is a controller in the 1st Stage area, I have to do one more thing for it to work properly: set the Scalar. I double-click the words ERC DeltaAdd under 1st Stage to expand the joint rotation, and then click Attributes to expand that. For the thigh, a scalar of -.014 (that's NEGATIVE point zero one four) is usually workable; if you look at the settings of JCM other artists have done you will see other things that work fine too, as long as it's negative.
    9. Once you've done this, the morph should snap right to going on and off with the joint bends, and when you bend the joint you should be able to see the morph activate and deactivate.

Setting limits on the morph is important, because you don't want the JCM to trigger at less than 0 (for instance).

At some point I had a workflow for making a JCM for both thigh bends only trigger when they were both bent, but I can't remember the workflow (I do JCM a lot, dresses seldom; I like my loincloths and my man-pants). I'll have to flail around and see if I can locate it.

As you can see, this means setting up JCM can be a lot of work because you have to be prepared to do one for every bend on every joint you want to affect. When I do shorts or underwear I usually do them for just the thigh Bend and Side-Side rotations, since those are what causes the unrealistic crimping in combination with one another. I wince for some of my old M4 stuff where I didn't know how to do automatic JCM yet and everything is manual.

edited December 1969

P.S.: You can do this with an entire pose, just with the reverse deformations but without the ERC freeze steps, and create a user-controlled clothing pose to go with a figure pose that way. There are some morphs for bent knee, kneeling, etc. on the MFD that are meant to be used this way, and Aave Nainan of course is an expert on flawless morph-poses.

edited December 1969

Hey there Sickle! Thanks a lot for explanation! Seems like a lot of work which I guess is useful if you intend to sell the product so the customers have the best results possible with the outfit. For my personal renders I think I wont be doing any JMCs for this outfit but I might look into them in the future! I tried to model another purse today but it came out looking like a completely different style and it doesnt go with the rest of the dress : D : D I have spent so much time creating this, I think its time to give it some proper renders, with lights and stuff!
    Also I was checking out renderosity today, they have some interesting stuff there too! I wonder whats Poser like.
    Also, how well things that are made for Daz Studio work with Poser? Or other programs in general. Like I know that rigging or shaders made in Blender wont work in Daz. So rigging and Shaders (created with shader mixer for example not maps) will only work inside Daz Studio as well?

Anyways, Im running some test renders ATM and I have placed a plane behind Genesis so her shadow reflects on it but when rendered, the plane is white even though I have diffuse color set. What could be the problem? Too much light? Or reflection?

edited December 1969

Anyways, Im running some test renders ATM and I have placed a plane behind Genesis so her shadow reflects on it but when rendered, the plane is white even though I have diffuse color set. What could be the problem? Too much light? Or reflection?

Can you share what lights you are using? I've found a little reflection on a primitive with a surface setting of 'plastic' for lighting when using certain lights, but nothing that causes it to render white. Even bright lights shouldn't remove all colour, so this is an interesting one. (I do sometimes have characters with custom skin textures that render completely white, but that's a different issue and one I finally found a fix for.)

edited August 2014

Hey there Jindi! The problem was Specular Strength. I set it to 0 and the background now renders properly. Anyways heres a first proper render of the outfit. More to come. And yet again, no matter how many test renders I did still Im getting some weird shadows and other things so it didnt come out the way I wanted it but nevermind : D I´ll add it to my gallery anyways.

And I´m gonna call this Girly Petals Outfit for Genesis 2 Females : D

EDIT: Okay thats it, time to clean up the desktop and lock all these files to some dark corner of my computer! I have learned so much creating this outfit, especially how not to do things!
    Last night I started working on something new and I´ll post pictures soon! : )

Feel free to comment and give me suggestions what could be improved! I´d love to hear that! : )

back_view_-_Copy02.png
    500 x 650 - 432K
    shoes_-_Copy.png
    500 x 650 - 362K
    dress650promo22.png
    500 x 650 - 386K
    dress650_00-_Copy.png
    500 x 650 - 392K
    Post edited by Toyen on
    edited December 1969

Glad you got the specularity issue sorted. It's great to see your finished 'Girly Petals' outfit. I think the fabric detail is lovely and especially the little extra flower embellishments. Nice unusual neckline! I also like the way the shoes coordinate, and her bangle and purse.

Only thing I would suggest is that you create a morph for this in Blender (and load back in via Morph Loader Pro -- it's all in SickleYield's tutorial I believe) just to pull the mesh away from the chest area a little. That will create a nice natural look of fabric as it flows over the breasts. This is the one problem with auto-fit, it makes everything very clingy and in reality the dress wouldn't cling quite so much there.

Fantastic work though. I'll look forward to seeing what you are working on next. That bedroom you created looked impressive!