DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.1.0.28, Now Available! [Updated]

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2014

That's what's tripping me up. I can't seem to manage to find a way to utilize multiple scope selectors in one filter. I can either use tag or path, but not both.

If I could do something like "posercf AND path::F:/!Libraries/Daz Studio Library" and combine the default name selector and path, I'd be golden.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

My DIM is 1.0.1.115 and when I open it I do not get a message asking me if I want to update. I am on a mac.

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

so I manually downloaded the installer. It gave me an error message until i changed admin to Read & Write on the DAZ 3D directory and installer is now working !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited December 1969

I am getting a new PC.

3 things

1) I used DIM to uninstall all my content from my old PC so that I could use it to install all of my content on my new PC. However, on my old PC, not all of my content has been moved within DIM to the "ready to download" tab. About a third remains in the middle "ready to install" tab. It was uninstalled, but not moved to the ready to download category. My installed category does say 0. Will the DIM download and install the content that says "ready to install" rather than "ready to download" to my new PC?

2) How do I install the DIM on the new machine and have it know about the status of all of my content? I hear people say save the manifest. What is that, and how do I make it available to my new PC?

3) I am a Carrara user. When installing the CMS, etc., how do I make sure that the correct system is used (Valentina?), not the update that Carrara can't use?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,868
    edited December 1969

You don't need to uninstall on the old machine, unless you are selling or giving it away. DAZ allows you to install your content on any machines you use, as long as you are the only person using it.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited December 1969

You don't need to uninstall on the old machine, unless you are selling or giving it away. DAZ allows you to install your content on any machines you use, as long as you are the only person using it.

Thanks for your reply. When I install DIM on the new machine, will a fresh set of all my content appear in the available to download tab? Even if I haven't uninstalled from my old machine - my old machine is exhibiting all the signs of dying, which is why I am buying a new machine.

Does that include really old content that the product page says isn't available in the store anymore?

edited December 1969

Yes, all your content (that's available through DIM) will be listed as ready for download - though if you want you can copy the downloads folder over from the old machine, if you have limited bandwidth. Items that are no longer in the store should still be available through DIM, or the product Library, for purchasers.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

My DIM just updated to 1.1.0.27. What changed? Where's the announcement?

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,180
    edited December 1969

An update to Install Manager (1.1.0.27) was posted this afternoon... if you've used Install Manager in the last few hours, no doubt you've already noticed. This update contains fixes for a couple of issues...

The first issue addressed by this version is with the handling of "vendor categories." Earlier versions are not correctly marking categories created by DAZ and/or our Published Artists as having come from the "vendor", which means that they will not be managed (i.e. updated, cleaned up, etc) as such and will cause "exported user data" to contain more information (i.e. be larger) than it should - unless the metadata for products that provide it is re-imported. With this new version, new content installations that contain metadata will be marked appropriately. Correcting existing content installations with the new version is as simple as checking the "Products" top-level item on the "Installed" page, right clicking on the item and choosing "Re-Import Metadata > All Selected". This issue has also been fixed in the next version of DAZ Studio, but that version will not be immediately available.

The other issue resolved by this version is related to the "first time" user experience. When a new user downloads and installs DAZ Studio, via Install Manager (aka "auto-install"), the ordering of the package installations [particularly on a Mac] could cause a supplemental package to install before the DAZ Studio application package. When this happened, said new user would be presented with an error dialog indicating that the path to DAZ Studio could not be found and that the package could therefore not be installed. This is now fixed.

If at any point you are presented with an update to Install Manager and the usual post/announcement with information about the update has not been made, you can always take a peak at the Change Log.

-Rob

edited December 1969

Thanks for the details, Rob.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Some of my thumbnails don't come down. Maybe about 10% of them though that's only a very rough estimate. I haven't figured out any pattern to it yet so just wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem with non-appearing thumbnails?

Once I've requested a thumbnail download, DIM seems to think I've gotten it so further tries are fruitless. Doesn't matter if I do it from Ready to Download or Installed.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Some of my thumbnails don't come down. Maybe about 10% of them though that's only a very rough estimate. I haven't figured out any pattern to it yet so just wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem with non-appearing thumbnails?

Once I've requested a thumbnail download, DIM seems to think I've gotten it so further tries are fruitless. Doesn't matter if I do it from Ready to Download or Installed.

Yes, I've noticed that for a few version updates. I'm not sure if thumbnails on of the newer products are done in time. Try selecting all and Retrieve Missing to see if they come in at a later date.
  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

I'm having trouble with this. DIM starts, slaps a notification there's an update over the top of the normal login window, I click to update, DIM shows the moving bar thing in the login window that's still open but can't be clicked on, then just reopens the update notification window again, and on and on, round and round. Had to kill it from the task manager. Tried again, same again.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

Try downloading it from your product library and install

edited December 1969

Um.

Eventually DIM managed to download its update, the installation started ... and I was bombarded with many permission requests for this and that by Comodo. Basically tried to give it any permission it wanted. Then got a DAZ error window - from the DIM installer presumably - saying there was an error because it needed administrator privileges and to do it again with those (I was logged in as the admistrator at the time). But on clicking OK, instead of everything stopping as I expected, it carried on, more Comodo requests, and then finished and it SEEMS to be updated.

But what about that error? If it's running (and saying it's .27), is it OK? Or can it run but be messed up by not having privileges - or not having settings set in the Registry or something? And where IS the downloaded installer? If I could find it I might run it again manually.

edited December 1969

Well, sorted ... I suppose. But that was not a good, smooth customer experience.

First DIM fails repeatedly to download its own update and jams up completely, needing a Task Manager kill. Eventually, after repeated attempts it gets the update, but generates at least two error messages (one about needing administrator privileges, and the other something about a problem with the CMS) while installing, leaving me uncertain if it's a good install or not, and also unable to find where it's put the installer .exe. So finally I manually download the DIM installer and run it separately, to hopefully uninstall anything messed up from the auto effort and do a final proper install.

This does not seem to be a robust system at all. Very disappointing.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,323
    edited December 1969

I, too, had trouble with this auto-update through DIM. Eventually I apparently lost the DIM program altogether. No desktop icon, no program in the windows program listings, no way to restart. So, I had to go and manually download it from my program library the run the installation program. Seems to be working OK now; but very scary at the time.

Charlie

edited December 1969

The DIM update went perfectly smoothly for me. I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit. I have DIM installed on drive D.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    The DIM update went perfectly smoothly for me. I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit. I have DIM installed on drive D.

Windows 7 64 bits too, but I always had had problems with DIM update. I always need stop DIM process and manually download and install it. DIM on drive C.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited August 2014

Miss B said:
    Spit said:

Yes, I've noticed that for a few version updates. I'm not sure if thumbnails on of the newer products are done in time. Try selecting all and Retrieve Missing to see if they come in at a later date.

Thanks for the reply :) I've tried that several times--no luck though perhaps I'm only checking for the more recent ones since I don't make a list of missing or anything.

*BUT*

Just installed the update and it seems to be all okay now! Even doing the select all bit and requesting missing seems to have worked. I'm not checking 12 thousand entries but slid my mouse through the first couple hundred in ready and installed and they're all there--even ones I know didn't come down before.

I'm happy!

Not sure if it's the update or me, but it's golden.

edit: Whohoo! I just became an Active Member. It was my 1000th post and I didn't even notice. :)

Post edited by Spit on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited December 1969

All my software is installed on D:

After a fresh windows install on C:

How do I tell DiM that all my content is already installed?

It wants to install all of my files again in the Ready to Install tab

thx

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Do you have access to the C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles folder from the previous install? That's where DIM records what has been installed and where.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited December 1969

nope.. knew I forgot something..

I do have an older backup of it so will use it..

at least it cuts it down by 2/3rds lol

I wish they would install it into the same directory as the program so I don't have to remember it all :-(

Thanks

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Spit said:

I noticed this happening to me recently. Selecting a new item, the option for that particular item is greyed out. I just came in to see if there was an update but I'm on version .0.27

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Miss B said:
    Spit said:

I noticed this happening to me recently. Selecting a new item, the option for that particular item is greyed out. I just came in to see if there was an update but I'm on version .0.27

AFAIK if it's grayed out that means there isn't a thumbnail available.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Miss B said:
    Spit said:

AFAIK if it's grayed out that means there isn't a thumbnail available.

That's odd. The thumb is there in the store page - that's where it takes it from? I can do it manually....d/l the thumb, put it in the thumb folder and rename it to the product code...but I am Teh_Lazy and prefer to do it with one click. LOL

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

wiz said:
    Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time.

So, when is the update to Carrara, the DAZ flagship application, due out?
    Any word since June?
    edited December 1969

wiz said:
    wiz said:
    Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time.

So, when is the update to Carrara, the DAZ flagship application, due out?

Any word since June?

Not that I am aware of, sorry.

• OrcaSoulOrcaSoul Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

I just installed DIM on Win7-64.
    After finally getting all the paths worked out, It successfully installed over 900 products.

Then I made several purchases, mostly free items and when I log onto DIM it shows them ready for download.
    When I select and click "Start queue", DIM disappears from the screen, when I try to restart it all I see is the spinning icon then nothing happens. I need to reboot to get it to load again.

I've copied the log and separated out the portion where it failed:

+++++++++++++++ Install Manager 1.1.0.27 starting +++++++++++++++++
    OS bits: 64
    Platform bits: 32
    Qt Version: 4.8.6
    Locale: en_US
    Running on Windows 7, Build 7601, Service Pack 1
    Physical Memory:
    Total: 3.9 GB (4294967295)
    Avail: 3.9 GB (4294967295)
    Virtual Memory:
    Total: 3.9 GB (4294836224)
    Avail: 3.8 GB (4158152704)
    Current Memory Usage: 33%
    Current DateTime:
    Loc: Sun Oct 26 11:20:16 2014
    UTC: Sun Oct 26 18:20:16 2014
    Application Data:
    Location = C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/InstallManager
    Disk Total: 1.3 TB (1465794211840)
    Disk Avail: 426.8 GB (458304020480)
    Reading dzInstall.ini
    Current Account: OrcaSoul
    Current Download Path:
    Location = C:/Users/OrcaSoul/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads
    Current Content Install Path:
    Location = C:/Users/OrcaSoul/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
    Current 64-bit Software Install Path:
    Location = C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D
    Current 32-bit Software Install Path:
    Location = C:/Program Files (x86)/DAZ 3D
    Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
    Current Account: OrcaSoul
    Processed 1098 installed products, totaling 37.8 GB
    Product 1751-1 has the same name as 2295-1:Allosaurus
    Product 1695-1 has the same name as 2296-1:Gallimimus
    Processed 862 products with 1252 unique product downloads
    WARNING: Could not set permissions on file: C:/Users/OrcaSoul/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads/IM00002097-02_AGrandEntranceDS.zip.{16ca9418-c963-3533-1247-96b3d7fb21fd}.part
    WARNING: Error opening save file "C:/Users/OrcaSoul/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads/IM00002097-02_AGrandEntranceDS.zip.{16ca9418-c963-3533-1247-96b3d7fb21fd}.part" for product 2097-2, "A Grand Entrance DS": could not presize file WARNING: Error opening save file "C:/Users/OrcaSoul/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads/IM00002097-02_AGrandEntranceDS.zip.{16ca9418-c963-3533-1247-96b3d7fb21fd}.part" for product 2097-2, "A Grand Entrance DS": Access is denied.

This happens if I select all the product, and if I only select one product.

"A Grand Entrance DS" is the first product on the list.

At first glance the last 2 segments seem to show the problem, but what is causing it?

I do notice that there seem to be 2 products with the "same name", but different product numbers...

Any help would be appreciated.

edited December 1969

Try deleting the two C:/Users/OrcaSoul/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads/IM00002097... files and then redownload them - they install OK for me (a DS package and a Poser package).