Glowing Cat Ear Hairs

PudgyPudgy Posts: 65
edited July 2020 in The Commons

How do I fix this glowing ear hairs problem? I am using daz studio and the hivewire cat iray. Please and thanks in advance

Post edited by Pudgy on

Comments

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,435

I have no idea how to fix it, I just came to say I have the same problem.  I'm using the Iray materials, in an Iray scene, and yet the ear hairs look crazy bright!  So I hope someone chimes in with a solution, or some tips.

• valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519

I've never had it happen on HW cat (the same one shown even) but I would say your light may be too strong and causing side effect in backscatter. You can either try with different light setup, or go under surfaces in the EarHairSheets adjust glossiness and backscatter values.

• PudgyPudgy Posts: 65

I've never had it happen on HW cat (the same one shown even) but I would say your light may be too strong and causing side effect in backscatter. You can either try with different light setup, or go under surfaces in the EarHairSheets adjust glossiness and backscatter values.

thank u for the tip.. will try..

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

It looks like the hairs aren't picking up any diffuse from the .jpg. Perhaps there is a different diffuse .jpg for the ear hairs.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Is this with Perspective View?   I get that effect with the Hivewire Cat when the headlamp on in Perspective view only.  The ears look correct using a camera, whether the headlamp is on or off.

No tweaking of the surfaces is necessary.

Hivewire Cat Perspective View Headlamp On.jpg
    1483 x 831 - 250K
    Hivewire Cat Perspective View Headlamp Off.jpg
    1480 x 831 - 169K
    Hivewire Cat Camera View Headlamp On.jpg
    1482 x 830 - 198K
    Hivewire Cat Camera View Headlamp Off.jpg
    1482 x 830 - 183K
  • valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519
    Sevrin said:

Is this with Perspective View?   I get that effect with the Hivewire Cat when the headlamp on in Perspective view only.  The ears look correct using a camera, whether the headlamp is on or off.

Great catch, I first thought it was Headlamp to blame but it gave me nothing in the camera viewport, I didn't think to try from perspective tho :)
    V.

• PudgyPudgy Posts: 65
    Sevrin said:

Yes it is with perspective view!! I haven't thought of that being an issue! I will most definately revisit that... thank u again for all the help guys! I really appreciate it!

Hmm, I'm not using perspective view, and I'm still having the problem.

Hmm, I'm not using perspective view, and I'm still having the problem.

Post an image, please.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Tone some gloss values down. They are too reflective, and real cat ears wouldn't be that reflective anyway.
    Tone some gloss values down. They are too reflective, and real cat ears wouldn't be that reflective anyway.

That wasn't the issue.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    They said they weren't using perspective view, so...

Here's one attached, I was using a custom camera and of the HDRIs in Iray Skies - 10 Skies for Use with Iray and headlight at 0.80.  I tried with headlights completely off and it still did the same thing, but of course I forgot to save the render, and it takes me hours to render anything.

Kitty Glitch.png
    1203 x 820 - 2M

Here's one attached, I was using a custom camera and of the HDRIs in Iray Skies - 10 Skies for Use with Iray and headlight at 0.80.  I tried with headlights completely off and it still did the same thing, but of course I forgot to save the render, and it takes me hours to render anything.

Headlamps are never a good idea for final renders.  They just give a flat light, and it's not a nice "fill light" effect, either.

They used "Specular/Glossy" for the cat which is kind of weird, and I think a lot of the problems come from that.  I tested a bunch of stuff with the hivewire cat before replying to the original post.  Turning off Glossy effects did not help. 

There are two things you can still try in the surfaces tab for 01_EarHairSheets.

1. Change the Base Color to a darker grey.

or

2. In the Geometry section, reduce the Cutout Opacity until it's almost invisible, 0.1 or less.

You can do small Spot Renders of just the ear area to see if either of those suggestions help. You will see the results in a few minutes and can cancel once you see the result.

Sevrin said:

Headlamps are never a good idea for final renders.  They just give a flat light, and it's not a nice "fill light" effect, either.

They used "Specular/Glossy" for the cat which is kind of weird, and I think a lot of the problems come from that.  I tested a bunch of stuff with the hivewire cat before replying to the original post.  Turning off Glossy effects did not help. 

There are two things you can still try in the surfaces tab for 01_EarHairSheets.

1. Change the Base Color to a darker grey.

or

2. In the Geometry section, reduce the Cutout Opacity until it's almost invisible, 0.1 or less.

You can do small Spot Renders of just the ear area to see if either of those suggestions help. You will see the results in a few minutes and can cancel once you see the result.

This time I ended up just fixing it in post, but I'll try those things next time.  Thank you very much!!