Dress Uniforms for G8M

Dress Blues, Dress Whites, UK Calvary Horseguards, etc.

Is there anybody out there even willing to explore this untouched realm becase I cannot find a single one piece fit for G8M (or male contents in general)?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    Join the club
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

There's a reason that realm is untouched.  A decent dress uniform would take forever to produce, thus losing the PA money, and people would inevitably complain about it not being appropriate for their country, service branch, time period, rank, gender or whatever.

• glossedsfmglossedsfm Posts: 329

Maybe we should rename this the "suggest a product you want so that other members can tell you why you wont get it" subforum.

• lana_lasslana_lass Posts: 518
    edited July 2020

Maybe we should rename this the "suggest a product you want so that other members can tell you why you wont get it" subforum.

Erm @Sevrin is just answering the OPs question as to why they can't find this product anywhere and it's a 100% valid and helpful reply IMO smiley

There are a few uniform products but they are indeed either tactical/fatigues, historical, somewhat non-specific, and overall few and far between. A few dress products, historical and current, in case it's helpful:

Military Dress Uniform for Genesis 3 Male(s) and Genesis 2 Male(s);

Naval Uniform for Genesis 2 Male(s);

dForce Naval Uniform for Genesis 8 Male(s);

Uniforms for Michael 6;

- Blitz Girl Uniform;

Shenandoah: Officer;

Dynamic Uniforms for Michael 4 Genesis

Army General Uniform and Expansion.

And an older one from the other store that perhaps could be converted...

Kapitanleutnant M4 for Poser

Post edited by lana_lass on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

You'll find even more military uniforms at Renderosity if you don't mind fitting the V4/M4 clothing models to the version of Genesis you're using. Also some of the uniforms are partially modeled as done for video games (aka manual occlusion culling by the modeller).

Look for cybertenko & tannenbaum in the Renderosity store or just search for things like military, French military, and so on.

• Yeah, period uniforms? Give us more. It's almost criminal that there aren't more, considering that it's just 100% crafting and 0% conceptualization.

Like... Regency/Victorian British Army/Royal Marines dress uniform?! How can you do a Regency drama without a dashing Cavalry officer? That would fit Steampunk as well. You have to go back to M4 to find Napoleonic/Regency stuff. Or Royal Marines? Royal Navy? We have all these scruffy Pirates with dumb Pirate gear, but no Royal Navy officer?! Ugh. Terrible.

As for the Daz store... Oskarsson's Blitz Girl is nice. I think Oskarsson's Inspector uniform pairs very well with it.

• AdreanAdrean Posts: 135

Thanks guys for the suggestion. I do own a couple of uniforms from both Daz and the other sites (including tannenbaum's) but it still feel lacking when it comes to the department of dress/formal uniforms. Good ones with sufficient morphs are even harder to come by.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    edited July 2020

As Sevrin pointed out, creating a realistic uniform is a lot of work. You'll need to do lots of research and get every little detail right because you can be sure that people will point out every little mistake you may have made as a reason not to buy them if they're not exactly right (yes, that happened in the past). And unfortunately for those who want them, the potential market for those is very limited inside a market which is already quite small.

So unless you find a content creator who is passionate about those type of things and doesn't care that they probably won't sell enough copies to recoup all the work they put into them, there's little chance you'll see lots of those.

Post edited by Leana on
  • glossedsfmglossedsfm Posts: 329
    edited July 2020
    Leana said:

As Sevrin pointed out, creating a realistic uniform is a lot of work. You'll need to do lots of research and get every little detail right because you can be sure that people will point out every little mistake you may have made as a reason not to buy them if they're not exactly right (yes, that happened in the past). And unfortunately for those who want them, the potential market for those is very limited inside a market which is already quite small.

So unless you find a content creator who is passionate about those type of things and doesn't care that they probably won't sell enough copies to recoup all the work they put into them, there's little chance you'll see lots of those.

IMO if someone is not familiar with them, trying to do your own research is the worse way to go about making the outfits.  Better to just talk to people who have been in the military and have worn the uniforms or have them critique your 3d work before you finalize it.  For example a key feature of an every day service dress uniform are shoulder epaulets, pleated pockets.  The Army General Outfit and the Blitz Girl Outfit have those key features.  The military dress uniform outfit is not a very good uniform imo because the belt has a painted on appearance on the jacket instead of it cinching the jacket like a belt should and it is much too high.  The stripes on the arm are also too high and the hat is too oval and should be more round like the hat in the Army General Outfit product.

People will complain and if they do screw em.  If the product sells thats all that should matter and if it doesnt sell then dont make them.  People complain that too many female armor outfits have heels but i dont forsee PA's stopping that trend anytime soon.  Maybe remind those people who complain that there is a demand for that product that they are complaining about but no supply. 

Post edited by glossedsfm on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

I would love to see a modular set for fictional uniforms, with various epaulettes, patches, collar pads and collar styles, different buttoning types (single/double rows etc.), rank insignia (shoulder, collar, sleeve), various leather straps and belts, sidearm holsters (sabre, pistol, etc.), ammo pouches, various head gear types (caps, hats, tropical helmets, helmets with goggles, etc.), 

That would be awesome. I would totally buy that as soon as it would hit the shop.

Modular seems like a good idea if it's with morphs to ajust the styles I guess.

• andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited July 2020
    Sevrin said:

There's a reason that realm is untouched.  A decent dress uniform would take forever to produce, thus losing the PA money, and people would inevitably complain about it not being appropriate for their country, service branch, time period, rank, gender or whatever.

Objection, your honor! Men's fashion since 1950 has been about as imaginative as a steel nail (and WHEN it got creative (70s) it was mostly somewhere between ridiculous and ugly).... which in a conservative sector like parade uniforms makes EVERYTHING look largely the same - internationally. Colorful exceptions such as the wonderful full dresses of the Indian army are of course excluded!

My advice for all users mastering a minimum of kit bashing (in fact mainly fiddling with shaders and materials): "Inspector Uniform" from Oskarsson . It is by no means an ideal product, I especially regret that shirt, tie and jacket are one single block - but it has turned out to be the most suitable product for my personal needs. The choice between the classic hat and the "Képi" in French style makes "Inspector Uniform" pretty versatile! With some work on colors and badges and some cheating with camera angles etc. I have acceptable results in the representation of military- and police officers from European, African and Asian nations. - And -  not to misunderstand each other - I am a fanatic when it comes to realism - I can do a lot of research on the internet to find the right color / look for certain national uniforms before switching my PC on to actually make the picture!  For the badges I use "Everyday Labels and Signs" from maclean onto which I load original badges copied from the Internet. With some practice, even a Neanderthal user like me can do it.

Of course, I would be the last to complain if a 3d artist brought a better product to the market!

Post edited by andreretogasser on
  • lana_lasslana_lass Posts: 518
    edited July 2020

I would love to see a modular set for fictional uniforms, with various epaulettes, patches, collar pads and collar styles, different buttoning types (single/double rows etc.), rank insignia (shoulder, collar, sleeve), various leather straps and belts, sidearm holsters (sabre, pistol, etc.), ammo pouches, various head gear types (caps, hats, tropical helmets, helmets with goggles, etc.), 

That would be awesome. I would totally buy that as soon as it would hit the shop.

+1 I think this is a fantastic idea!

Post edited by lana_lass on
  • ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550

Hi! At the moment I'm making something that turns into a mess dress with a flick of a switch :)

-P-

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    Protozoon said:

Hi! At the moment I'm making something that turns into a mess dress with a flick of a switch :)

-P-

Nice, I look forward to seeing it.

Looks like some of our dreams may be answered. See this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/421401/soon-to-be-pa-yay#latest

For those that haven't seen, he has some amazingly detailed and realistic military dress uniforms that he has created, so hopefully one of them will be his first product

• ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550

Looks like some of our dreams may be answered. See this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/421401/soon-to-be-pa-yay#latest

For those that haven't seen, he has some amazingly detailed and realistic military dress uniforms that he has created, so hopefully one of them will be his first product

Totally awesome!

Goodness it's been so long!

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251

Pretty much why I stopped posting any product suggestions for things I'd like to buy. I've been a customer for 17 years, I don't need to be told why I shouldn't want something or be told by someone who isn't a vendor why no one will never make it. It's not the Product Demand forum. It's not helpful and I don't see why people enjoy putting the energy into it.
    Timbales said:

Pretty much why I stopped posting any product suggestions for things I'd like to buy. I've been a customer for 17 years, I don't need to be told why I shouldn't want something or be told by someone who isn't a vendor why no one will never make it. It's not the Product Demand forum. It's not helpful and I don't see why people enjoy putting the energy into it.

In many caees it's about educating users, especially those that have never modeled or created anything in 3D. Would you rather have an idea why there isn't one in the store or just be clueless and always wonder why it was never made?

There are many users that don't know all that exists in this community and even more that are unaware of the 3d world outside of it and I know i try to find alternatives when someone asks for something because most times it's a heck of a lot faster that waiting the year or more for a PA to develop thet product they requested.

I have seen posts from existing PAs to new PAs that they should avoid this forum, so I wonder just how useful it is in the first place.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    Timbales said:

In many caees it's about educating users, especially those that have never modeled or created anything in 3D. Would you rather have an idea why there isn't one in the store or just be clueless and always wonder why it was never made?

There are many users that don't know all that exists in this community and even more that are unaware of the 3d world outside of it and I know i try to find alternatives when someone asks for something because most times it's a heck of a lot faster that waiting the year or more for a PA to develop thet product they requested.

I have seen posts from existing PAs to new PAs that they should avoid this forum, so I wonder just how useful it is in the first place.

If someone posts, "Why isn't there _________" and you have an opinion, by all means reply. If someone posts "I'd really like to buy _________" and you know where there is something similar, by all means reply. But I don't agree that someone making a suggestion needs to be educated, as you put it. When there is no response and they don't see it in the store, they'll get their answer.
  • sterlenejcsterlenejc Posts: 178
    that's why I stopped supporting Daz and started creating content myself. No one is going to create male content