My Daz Studio 4.10 is not using GPU mode for rendering

taiuritaiuri Posts: 553
edited June 2020 in The Commons

Hi Guys, I have a problem. I restarted my laptop and installed the newest version of Daz 4.12. But I had conflicts because my files were made in Daz 4.10 so I decided to return to 4.10.

The problem is I discovered Daz is not using GPU mode for rendering and when I try to see another folder it crashes.

Do you know why my Daz is using the CPU mode and not using the GPU? Any option I have to select? I have to say I have selected the Nvidia Iray option for rendering.

Some nvidia driver must I have for Daz 4.10? Or the problem is from settings?

I hope you can help me,

Thank you guys!

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• How are you checking? Task Manager does not, by default, relfect the use Iray makes of the GPU - try switching to the Performance tab and set one of the GPU grpahs to CUDA (if that's an option) or Compute_0.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Hi,

I have a similar situation.
    For some reason I still use 4.9 for most of my scenes and have a 4.10 beta with the corresponding nVidia driver.

So 4.10 renders fine on GPU, but now the iRay renders on the 4.9 don't use the GPUs anymore. I think this depends on the different nVidia driver versions accepted by the different iRay versions involved.
    But I don't have any clue how to manage the correct drivers installed at the same time.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited June 2020

Has windows 10 or yourself update GPU drivers past  version 436 if so its properly the driver causing you problems. Daz4.10, daz 41.11 will  run best on GPU driver version 436 after that gpu version NIVIDA  changed the architecture so the drivers are more gear RTX GPU's and real time raytrace and the Opitex prime accelerations option is permanently turned on which will use up tons of GPU resources on Daz Studio . specially if your using a a older gtx GPU graphic card & older daz 4.11 & 4.10.   before i tried anything else like uninstalling daz or something.  I would try rolling back the gpu driver to 436  and see if that helps https://www.nvidia.com/Download  that has been my experience

Post edited by Ivy on
  • taiuritaiuri Posts: 553

How are you checking? Task Manager does not, by default, relfect the use Iray makes of the GPU - try switching to the Performance tab and set one of the GPU grpahs to CUDA (if that's an option) or Compute_0.

Where is the Performance Tab? Could you explain me how to set GPU graphs to CUDA or Compute_0, please?

Ivy said:

Has windows 10 or yourself update GPU drivers past  version 436 if so its properly the driver causing you problems. Daz4.10, daz 41.11 will  run best on GPU driver version 436 after that gpu version NIVIDA  changed the architecture so the drivers are more gear RTX GPU's and real time raytrace and the Opitex prime accelerations option is permanently turned on which will use up tons of GPU resources on Daz Studio . specially if your using a a older gtx GPU graphic card & older daz 4.11 & 4.10.   before i tried anything else like uninstalling daz or something.  I would try rolling back the gpu driver to 436  and see if that helps https://www.nvidia.com/Download  that has been my experience

I'm using Windows 10. I'll try your suggestion and let you know the results. Thanks for the advice.

• taiuri said:

How are you checking? Task Manager does not, by default, relfect the use Iray makes of the GPU - try switching to the Performance tab and set one of the GPU grpahs to CUDA (if that's an option) or Compute_0.

Where is the Performance Tab? Could you explain me how to set GPU graphs to CUDA or Compute_0, please?

Open Task Manager and click More Details at bottom left. You will then see several tabs, including Performance. Click GPU on the left, then click the label above one of the graphs on the right and select CUDA (or Compute_0)

taiuri said:

Open Task Manager and click More Details at bottom left. You will then see several tabs, including Performance. Click GPU on the left, then click the label above one of the graphs on the right and select CUDA (or Compute_0)

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the Task Manager?

• If you are not using Task Manager tto decide whether the GPOU is being used what are you using? It isn't a particularly good way to monitor the situation, I asked only because usign it is often the reasone people think the GPU isn't beiing used when it is.

If you are not using Task Manager tto decide whether the GPOU is being used what are you using? It isn't a particularly good way to monitor the situation, I asked only because usign it is often the reasone people think the GPU isn't beiing used when it is.

I've never used Task Manager. That's why I asked for where it is. I can't find it anywhere in the Menu options. When I render I just choose as Engine: Iray Nvidia, but last night I discovered it's rendering in CPU mode only, not in GPU. Where is the Task Manager or how can I open it?

Any other solution for my problem, guys? I really need help! Anyone knows how to make Daz uses GPU mode for rendering? 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    taiuri said:

I've never used Task Manager. That's why I asked for where it is. I can't find it anywhere in the Menu options.

It's not a DS tool, Richard meant Windows task manager, that you can open for example by right-clicking the Windows task bar.

taiuri said:

When I render I just choose as Engine: Iray Nvidia, but last night I discovered it's rendering in CPU mode only, not in GPU.

How do you know it's rendering in CPU mode?

Leana said:
    taiuri said:

I've never used Task Manager. That's why I asked for where it is. I can't find it anywhere in the Menu options.

It's not a DS tool, Richard meant Windows task manager, that you can open for example by right-clicking the Windows task bar.

taiuri said:

When I render I just choose as Engine: Iray Nvidia, but last night I discovered it's rendering in CPU mode only, not in GPU.

How do you know it's rendering in CPU mode?

"It's not a DS tool, Richard meant Windows task manager, that you can open for example by right-clicking the Windows task bar."

Excuse me, but I'm a beginner, that's why I don't know where I have to right-clicking. If you could send me a screencap it'd help me so much. 

And how did I know it's in CPU mode? A friend is fixing it and told me, it's not using the GPU. He doesn't know Daz at all. He told me he was using a software which told him the GPU is not being used when it's rendering. I don't know what software he is using, but the fact is the GPU doesn't work. 

I hope you can help me, please.

• As I said, I mentioned Task Manager only as it is often the cause of people thinking the GPU isn't being used when it is. I suspect it is what you friend did, so proceeding on thata ssumption right-click on the WIndows Task bar (the  bar at the bottom of the screen, by default, with a button for Windows and a button for each aplication running, pus the clock at the other end) and select Task Manager, click More Details if it doesn't allready have several tabs, go to the Performance tab, click on the GPU in the list of graphs, click the label on one of the graphs, select CUDA if it's on the list on Compute ), start a render, and see if the graph shoots up to reflect the use of the GPU.

As I said, I mentioned Task Manager only as it is often the cause of people thinking the GPU isn't being used when it is. I suspect it is what you friend did, so proceeding on thata ssumption right-click on the WIndows Task bar (the  bar at the bottom of the screen, by default, with a button for Windows and a button for each aplication running, pus the clock at the other end) and select Task Manager, click More Details if it doesn't allready have several tabs, go to the Performance tab, click on the GPU in the list of graphs, click the label on one of the graphs, select CUDA if it's on the list on Compute ), start a render, and see if the graph shoots up to reflect the use of the GPU.

I'll tell my friend this procedure in order he can check out if the GPU keeps without working. Thank you so much for your help. 

In case it doesn't work. Is there an option in the Daz General Settings where I have to select it in order to it renders in GPU mode?

You can start by checking if DS is actually supposed to use the GPU first. If you go to Advanced tab in the Render Settings panel, does your GPU appear in the device lists in the Hardware section? If so, is it selected?

• If it is, Help>Troubleshooting>View Log file after doing a render and scroll to the end, it should give a final breakdown of which device did what. Also, if your DS is current then the place Leana mentions will hae an option to disable CPU fallback - turn that on and if the GPU fails then you won't get a render at all, which would be conclusive.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    Ivy said:

Hm, somehow I' lost.
    Following that link and selecting my GPU card (GTX 1060) I currently only get their latest version (451.48) for download for my system (Win10-64 pro).
    Where to get the older/previous ones?

edited June 2020
    AndyS said:
    Ivy said:

Hm, somehow I' lost.
    Following that link and selecting my GPU card (GTX 1060) I currently only get their latest version (451.48) for download for my system (Win10-64 pro).
    Where to get the older/previous ones?

I was not sure which graphic card he is using EVGA handles drivers differently  than Asus just for a example

if its drivers for Geforce gpu  this link is what you want https://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy

for everything else NIVIDIA use the link I provided above its the adavnced search ,  you should see a option list like this  https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited June 2020

And this is the legacy driver I was talking about rolling back version 436. https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/150298/en-us

I also just recommend this driver for daz 4.10.  daz 4.12.1.117 & newer will definitely require the up to date gpu driver.

Post edited by Ivy on
    Leana said:

You can start by checking if DS is actually supposed to use the GPU first. If you go to Advanced tab in the Render Settings panel, does your GPU appear in the device lists in the Hardware section? If so, is it selected?

It has the 2 options CPU and GPU, I selected GPU only, but it keep without working when it's rendering. Also I installed the 436 driver and it didn't work either. What else do I have to do?

Do I have to uninstall Daz and install it again? Or even worst, restart my laptop again? Please don't tell me that. I hope you can help me guys :(

edited June 2020

Let see you installed a new version of daz 4.12  which over wrote your daz4.10 and did not like it so you try to reinstalled daz 10.   So the driver roll back is one of the first thing I try when trouble shooting a issue &  daz 10 works best on older gpu drivers

When you reinstalled daz 4.10  which is no longer supported. BTW  .  Did you use the daz 4.10 installer to reinstall daz 4.10? or did you use the 4.10 zip file that comes in dim to over write your files you might have a conflict in the appdata folder from installing daz 4.12 which would have over written those original 4,10 appdate files

without the daz 4.10 installer there is no way to get those app date files back. you might put a ticket in and asked daz if they will give you a new copy of daz 4.10 with the installer but i would not hold my breath.

I keep every daz version so the installer should look something like this

Capture.JPG
    1335 x 594 - 102K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    Ivy said:

Let see you installed a new version of daz 4.12  which over wrote your daz4.10 and did not like it so you try to reinstalled daz 10.   So the driver roll back is one of the first thing I try when trouble shooting a issue &  daz 10 works best on older gpu drivers

When you reinstalled daz 4.10  which is no longer supported. BTW  .  Did you use the daz 4.10 installer to reinstall daz 4.10? or did you use the 4.10 zip file that comes in dim to over write your files you might have a conflict in the appdata folder from installing daz 4.12 which would have over written those original 4,10 appdate files

without the daz 4.10 installer there is no way to get those app date files back. you might put a ticket in and asked daz if they will give you a new copy of daz 4.10 with the installer but i would not hold my breath

No, I restarted my laptop, so I have to install all my programs. I decided to install Daz 4.12, but my previous files before I restart my laptop, were made in Daz 4.10, so when I tried to render them there were conflicts, so I decided to return to Daz 4.10, reinstalling over 4.12. And I used the installer called DAZStudio_4.10.0.123_Win64. Did I do something wrong? How can I fix it? I've submitted a ticket in the Daz Help, but I don't have a reply yet. 

If you used the 4.10 installer then you should be right back where you started from. just make sure you also install all the 4.10 matching plugins as well. 

You didn't happen to make a back up shadow copy or create a system restore point before you installed 4.12 . if you did you can try doing a system restore to a later date then the day you installed daz 4.12. sometimes thats works?

with windows 10 . Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type rstrui into Run, and click tap on OK to open System Restore.

Ivy said:

If you used the 4.10 installer then you should be right back where you started from. just make sure you also install all the 4.10 matching plugins as well. 

You didn't happen to make a back up shadow copy or create a system restore point before you installed 4.12 . if you did you can try doing a system restore to a later date then the day you installed daz 4.12. sometimes thats works?

with windows 10 . Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type rstrui into Run, and click tap on OK to open System Restore.

I only made a back up of the Content (in order to not installing it again), but unfortunatelly I didn't make one of the system. I don't think system restore works, because the laptop was restarted and my friend, who is reparing it, thinks maybe that could be worst. :(

Ooo sounds like you might have something beyond the daz forum help if your having your computer repaired.  you might want to get that fixed first .

The guy who was repairing my laptop couldn't decipher why my daz doesn't work with the GPU Mode, I've submitted a ticket to the Daz Help Center, but I don't receive a solution yet. Here I describe my equipment and my issue in case someone here has a solution:

1.- My laptop is a HP Pavilion with GPU Nvidia GTX 950M RAM Memory of 8 GB
    2.- My driver is of date 06/21/2006 version 10.0.19041.1 from Microsoft Windows, but even if I update the driver to the most recent, I have the same results.
    3.- I restarted my laptop and then I installed the version 4.12
    4.- My Task Manager tells me when I work and render in Daz only the CPU mode is working to 100% while the GPU 1 Nvidia Geforce mode keeps 0% and therefore my RAM Memory uses between 60 and 85% and that makes my laptop crashes into the black screen.
    5.- In the Render Settings my Engine render selected is NVIDIA Iray and in the Advanced Tab, I selected:
    a).- Devices: CPU and CUDA 4294967295 - GeForce GTX 950M (WDDM)
    b).- Interactive Mode: Devices: CPU and CUDA 4294967295 - GeForce GTX 950M (WDDM)
    c).- General:
    1).- Allow CPU Fallback (Requires Restart)
    2).- Allow GPU Detection (Requires Restart)
    3).- Check GPU Driver Version (Requires Restart)
    6.- When I load 2 or more characters in a scene, my laptop chrashes into the black screen, checking out my Task Manager the CPU Mode is working 100%, RAM Memory between 60 and 85% and GPU 1 Mode: 0%
    7.- My GPU works perfectly with another softwares, it was checked out with FurMark and it said the GPU works without problems, except in Daz where it denies to work.
    8.- Finally I have to say I've been rendering since Last November without problems. I started with this issue since May. When I rendered without problems, I didn't check if my GPU Mode was working, but if I didn't have problems, I guess it was.

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you guys!

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,152

I see Compute_0 maxed out and Compute_1 is doing nothing. Does that mean the GPU is being used for rendering?

• How are you checking? Task Manager does not, by default, relfect the use Iray makes of the GPU - try switching to the Performance tab and set one of the GPU grpahs to CUDA (if that's an option) or Compute_0.

I see Compute_0 maxed out and Compute_1 is doing nothing. Does that mean the GPU is being used for rendering?

Yes

taiuri said:

2.- My driver is of date 06/21/2006 version 10.0.19041.1 from Microsoft Windows, but even if I update the driver to the most recent, I have the same results.

Don't use the generic driver provided by Microsoft, use an actual nvidia driver, from nvidia's site. The ones provided by Microsoft don't support any of the advanced features DS needs to render.