Luxrender problem with M5 gens (lines between hips and torso)

edited December 2015 in New Users

Hi,

I have a problem that only happens when I render using Luxrender, the gens attachment looks like it's entirely another layer and has it's own shadow too. I've been digging in google for 5 hours today, and I can't find a proper and clear answer / solution to it. Is there anybody that can help me out on this topic?

The best discussion I found about the problem was in this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/35227/#519504 but it's not specific enough, I tried exporting my scene and then deleted different SkinHip files in hope to fix the problem but I didn't make any progress in fixing it.

I included an image to show what exactly happens to me when I use Luxrender.

croop.jpg
908 x 303 - 129K
Post edited by DAZ_Brian on

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Which exporter are you using? Luxus or Reality? Poser or Daz Studio?

• edited December 1969

Which exporter are you using? Luxus or Reality? Poser or Daz Studio?

I am using Reality exporter in Daz Studio

edited December 1969

If you read the post you linked to, you'd notice there's an problem with Reality in that it doesn't recognize geografted parts properly. In Daz Studio, part of the original geometry of the figure is hidden and essentially replaced with the geograft, but Reality doesn't know this and exports both out. What you are seeing is the result. Unfortunately this has been a known issue for a while, but Reality hasn't seen any updates for ages aside from the development of Reality 3 for Poser, and presumably Daz Studio eventually.

The only way around this is to manually edit the files yourself to remove the duplicated geometry.

• edited December 1969

What should I be looking for inside the files? I'm up for doing this in order to get it to work properly, but the thing is I can't find enough information on What should I edit there?

I should open the .lxo file as I understand, and look for ..... ?

I would be super grateful if you could explain this to me

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Your solution is probably related to Displacement settings. I had a person PM me about the same problem at the neckline on the M4 for Genesis 2 products, so he assumed it was product related. I told him to zero out the displacement settings (especially if there is no map being used) and it solved the problem.

• edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Your solution is probably related to Displacement settings. I had a person PM me about the same problem at the neckline on the M4 for Genesis 2 products, so he assumed it was product related. I told him to zero out the displacement settings (especially if there is no map being used) and it solved the problem.

DIsplacement settings in surfaces tab for the genitals in Daz Studio? Or displacement settings in Reality exporter? I'm sorry I don't understand it.

If you mean the ones in surface tabs (with the M5 genital selected) they are all zeros and 'off' in there, in Reality I found some displacement settings under "Modifiers" and changed them all to zeros, or am I doing everything wrong? I still see the same seams

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:

DIsplacement settings in surfaces tab for the genitals in Daz Studio? Or displacement settings in Reality exporter? I'm sorry I don't understand it.

If you mean the ones in surface tabs (with the M5 genital selected) they are all zeros and 'off' in there, in Reality I found some displacement settings under "Modifiers" and changed them all to zeros, or am I doing everything wrong? I still see the same seams
    It is possible for displacement maps to create seams in Luxrender on seamless texture models (human and organic shapes is where this will be visible). I always remove them in these cases. Note that you must delete the displacement map reference in the Modifiers tab of Reality, because the presence of a disp map link will cause a level of subdivision regardless of other settings (i.e. even when subdivision shows 0, there will be in fact one level of subdivision). It's the type of subd that Lux applies that is causing the seams to become slightly out of alignment.

However, I suspect in this case that it is the problem with two copies of the Geo-Graft being imported by Reality into the Lux scene which is causing the problem. Cwichura's solution doesn't involve editing the .lxo file, fortunately, but you do need to delete object files (.ply) in the resources/objects directory created by Reality. This is the process:

First you need to rename the graft item(s) in the DAZ Studio Scene tab. So, say the graft item is "Genesis Male Genitalia": in the Scene tab, rename this to (e.g.) "Genesis Male Genitalia GRAFTX". You can rename to anything, but make sure the string you added is unique to the graft items in your scene.

Next call Reality and (assuming you have done all the adjustments to shaders, etc.) in the Output tab check "Export Only". The reason for this is that we don't want to call Luxrender yet. Then click "Render Frame". Reality will export the geometry and create the Lux files, but it will not run Luxrender.

Now we have to go to our Render directory (wherever Reality is set up to export Lux files to) and find the "objects" folder for our scene. Let's say the scene is called "reality_scene". Go to where your Reality scenes are exported and you will see a folder called "reality_scene-Resources". Click inside this and you will see a folder called "Objects". In that folder you will see .ply files that have the word GRAFTX in them, because remember we renamed them in Studio. E.g. Genesis Male Genitalia GRAFTX_Genesis Male Genitalia GRAFTX_2_SkinGenitalia_30.ply. In the case of the genitalia there will be two files like this. Delete them!

(If you have more complex graft products, e.g. Genesis Bot, there will be lots of these files, but just search for "GRAFTX" and delete all found.)

Now you are ready to call Luxrender. Look for the .lxs file (it has the Luxrender icon) corresponding to the scene you just edited and double click it and Luxrender will run and render you scene.

Seems complicated when written out but it's not too troublesome once you have done it a few times.

As I said elsewhere, I'm assuming this will be fixed in Reality 3. R3 is now being beta tested and I'm hoping it will be released in the next couple of months.

• edited December 1969

Hiro Protagonist THANK YOU so much :D I was thinking that I'll have to regret buying Reality because of this little "defect" and given that I'm a beginner without much experience, gladly not (thanks to your awesome explanation)! This was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

All seams are fixed - and I don't have any problems with deleting those files every time I do a render.

Thank you so much again!!

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

Hiro Protagonist THANK YOU so much :D I was thinking that I'll have to regret buying Reality because of this little "defect" and given that I'm a beginner without much experience, gladly not (thanks to your awesome explanation)! This was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

All seams are fixed - and I don't have any problems with deleting those files every time I do a render.

Thank you so much again!!

My pleasure! I'm glad this fixed the seams for you, and also prevented you from regretting your purchase. Also, I have cwichura to thank for coming up with this elegant solution.
  • edited December 1969

Hi there, I have the same problem with Sledgehammers "OMG Genitalia for G2F" ! I will give this a try and report back...

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Geo-grafting has been fixed in the upcoming Reality 4 - Studio Edition. See the announcement on my website.

Cheers.

edited December 1969

Once again, nice work Paolo.

• skyitskyit Posts: 25
    edited July 2015

i am experiencing again this problem in the new version 4 of Reality, this time it appears a noticeable seam and a different light all around the genitalia of Michael 6 and Gianni (not yet tested M5). But this time i can't fix it by deleting the object files because they are not duplicated: if i delete them, it will render a black genitalia.

i found people talking about this bug here:
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?94959-Reality-4-male-gens-issue/page3

a bug not fixed yet! :/

Image removed, please crop higher

Post edited by Chohole on
  • The workaround in this thread applies only to Reality 2.5.

In the initial versions of Reality 4 the problems were much worse, with no workaround. That is what the RDNA thread you just quoted is talking about. That thread is also redundant as the Geo-Graft problem has been fixed in Reality 4.0.7., which is the current version and came out quite a few months ago.

The problem I think you are having (as I can't see it) is possibly due to displacement maps in the genital figure. Assuming displacement maps are present, try deleting them from the texture slot in Modifiers—in practice they don't do much, if anything, anyway. Also make sure that the maps and texture settings in the two hip textures (one in the body, one in the gens) are identical.