lighting a scene interface question

StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
edited May 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

1) If I'm working in textured display to arrange a scene and I add a light (spotlight, etc) it lights the area of the scene as a light would, but the rest of the scene goes dark. Any combination of making the light visible/invisible in the paramters pane or disableing it in my content pane does not change that lighting. I'm foreced to delete the light in order to restore the default global lighting for preview.

2) why is it when I add another light, switch back to Iray preview my entire scene is darker? Shouldnt the addition of a light make it brighter? I'm using Dome and Scene with an HDRI and a spotlight or 3. Even after I change the spread and up the luminance of the light the entire scene drops down in brightness.

is this by design?

Post edited by StratDragon on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,175

1) If I'm working in textured display to arrange a scene and I add a light (spotlight, etc) it lights the area of the scene as a light would, but the rest of the scene goes dark. Any combination of making the light visible/invisible in the paramters pane or disableing it in my content pane does not change that lighting. I'm foreced to delete the light in order to restore the default global lighting for preview.

Turn off Window>Preview Lights (cmd/ctrl L)

2) why is it when I add another light, switch back to Iray preview my entire scene is darker? Shouldnt the addition of a light make it brighter? I'm using Dome and Scene with an HDRI and a spotlight or 3. Even after I change the spread and up the luminance of the light the entire scene drops down in brightness.

That would be surprising - do you have a simple scene that shows this, with instructions on what light to add where?

is this by design?

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

1) I will try that

2) I was incorrect when I said switching to Iray, this brightness drop happens in texture preview mode, not Iray. Im very dependent on coffee these days for coherency.

when my scene finishes but its at 2% after 12 minutes and it is going through the GPU. I'm going out back to pull weeds before it gets hot and the snakes get curious.

Now after I spell check it's 12% @ 17:00.

thanks for the response.