SereneNight's Sci-fi Fun

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited April 2017

Here are a couple Centaur images. I can definitely say that the horse 2 part of Centaur doesn't look too great. It looks shiny, lacks detail, and you can't really do much with it. 

centaur-escape.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    Cent-final.jpg
    2208 x 2400 - 4M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

And yet, you've managed to make him look fantastic! 

Thanks for the kind words. I think I'm done with the centuar for now. On to more adventures of Owen and Boyd!

edited April 2017

Okay messing around with Scene Optimizer. Really like it! Makes things render so much faster. Here's the two versions of the MKS Tactical Sniper Rifle I did today. 

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the shirt and sleeves of the Army uniform it doesn't look right to me. So I wanted to try to minimize its look by making it darker and obscuring it in shadow. Also tried to cover it with the war dog vest. So I took the initial image into photoshop and tweaked the heck out of it. 

fin.png
    1600 x 1300 - 6M
    fog.png
    1600 x 1300 - 6M
    edited April 2017

Fantasy Skins for Genesis 3 is a pretty cool set. I'm also really liking the new Orestes winter grove HDRI's. Very nice looking stuff. I hope they make more. Orestes' produces nice quality stuff.

alien-woman4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 987K
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Your fantasy skins render is a great image.  Love the lighting/clothing reflecting on your character's skin.

I'm thinking of getting the scene optimizer.  Only hesitating because I haven't used scripts yet and am not sure I'll be able to figure it out.

This is a pretty easy script to use. I'm not a fan of complication, and all you do is load it, reduce texture size, and save. It really has been useful so far. I'm testing a scene with 6 bogeymen in it. I wouldn't have been able to use 6 in one scene without reducing their size prior to this.

Thanks for your comments about fantasy skins! It is a nice package. I love the way it compliments existing skins.

Thank you Serene Night, I'm going to go ahead and get it!  Also, I do like your post work on army guy :)

Let me know if you have any trouble World's Edge. I think it was fairly straightforward, but there is a pdf readme, too including which will help.

It might be a little while before I try it, but if I have an issue, I will ask.  Thank you for offering, very kind of you!

edited April 2017

okay, I tested the Scene Optimizer, and can say this product is dangerous. I can now put 6 bogeymen, a stonemason set, two robots and Boyd in one scene! I can see I will be making more complex stuff from now on.

fight-1.jpg
    2500 x 1944 - 3M
    fight-2jpg.jpg
    2500 x 1944 - 5M

Looks great, especially the first one.  Very realistic action scene.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Your second centaur render (the golden one) deserves to be a front page promo- it's staggeringly good. Love the camera angle on that too. Fantasy Skins looks really good too, love the different pinks/purples on the armor that tie in with the DOF background. Glad you got the scene optimizer- just don't give your characters more than they can fight off LOL.

edited May 2017

Yes, I do admit it is a temptation to see how many monsters I can cram into a scene. =-)  I do so love big fight scenes, but they are hard to compose, as there is inevitably some stray bodypart going where you don't want it. Then, because I can I seem to want to render much bigger! which defeats the purpose of using the optimizer. LOL. Because my renders go back to taking a long time!

Glad you like that one Worlds Edge. I admit sometimes I can't decide between several images and those were two of eight.

Now I'm messing around with the tux.

• Okay messing around with Scene Optimizer. Really like it! Makes things render so much faster. Here's the two versions of the MKS Tactical Sniper Rifle I did today. 

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the shirt and sleeves of the Army uniform it doesn't look right to me. So I wanted to try to minimize its look by making it darker and obscuring it in shadow. Also tried to cover it with the war dog vest. So I took the initial image into photoshop and tweaked the heck out of it. 

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you use the scene optimizer? I bought it and can't figure out where the heck it is in the program... I've only been using DAZ for a year and I've had a friend help me get to know the program and work it but he doesn't have the scene optimizer so he can't help me :( 

Okay how it works  is it is a script. Scripts are programs or helper apps which trigger actions to happen. You need to load  your scene... Then you save it so you have a pre-transformed copy.

Once that is done start the script by clicking on it in the product view. Choose the default option of dividing textures by 2.  A button below that will allow you to confirm that selection that this is what you want to optimize. Then run the script. It will ask you where it can save these new textures since it can't re saved over the default ones. Specifiy a location where this can happen. . Run the script. After you run it it will tell you it is done and to save.  Choose a different file name. Save and reopen and render like normal it should render much faster.

i am at work but can provide some screenshots when I get home. Good luck 

• Okay how it works  is it is a script. Scripts are programs or helper apps which trigger actions to happen. You need to load  your scene... Then you save it so you have a pre-transformed copy.

Once that is done start the script by clicking on it in the product view. Choose the default option of dividing textures by 2.  A button below that will allow you to confirm that selection that this is what you want to optimize. Then run the script. It will ask you where it can save these new textures since it can't re saved over the default ones. Specifiy a location where this can happen. . Run the script. After you run it it will tell you it is done and to save.  Choose a different file name. Save and reopen and render like normal it should render much faster.

i am at work but can provide some screenshots when I get home. Good luck 

Thank You! I got it working right now.

Yeah! Glad you got it to work. Hopefuly it renders faster for you.

edited May 2017

Here are Boyd and Owen in their tuxes. I think they turned out nice! If I had my druthers that collar would be much thinner, and there would be an alternate corsage. Hmmm... I'll have to check my runtime to see if I have any others. Don't want the guys to look like carbon copies of eachother.

NervetoAsk.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629

Here are Boyd and Owen in their tuxes. I think they turned out nice! If I had my druthers that collar would be much thinner, and there would be an alternate corsage. Hmmm... I'll have to check my runtime to see if I have any others. Don't want the guys to look like carbon copies of eachother.

tt be cool if the shirt sleeves were longer so they could display cuff links. 

I'll have to see if there is a morph.  The jacket has a shorten sleeve option but i unlocked the parameters on that and made the jacket longer-sleeved on the black suit. I really like that the buttons are separate so you can hide or change them

edited May 2017

Here's the Roamer Bot by Antfarm. I really love Antfarm's work, and this bot is very cool. Like his tattered covering too. Only thing I wish? More poses. HE doesn't use any of the standard figures so poses will have to be done by hand.

roamer.2duf.png
    1400 x 1600 - 3M
    edited May 2017

This is a couple of Owen swimsuit  images. I really love the MARS 360 HDRI by Midnight Stories. In this case I wanted to try some of the new water shaders in the store. I think the water plane blended perfectly with the 360 environment. These are SF-Design's new water shaders. To make the water darker, and less clear, I added a second plane under the first one to give it depth.

final.jpg
    1600 x 1800 - 2M
    lake-view3.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
    edited May 2017

This image wasn't terribly popular but I liked it- and  I had been wanting to do a rollerblading image. The set of rollerblades though really badly deformed on Boyd's feet even in the most normal poses (They were made for Genesis 3 female) so only really rigid poses worked for me, but even then the wheels were deformed. Too bad. Would've used those more.

fall.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    edited May 2017

Boyd and Owen on a date. And Boyd takes a picture. Owen looks plenty shy in this image, which I find amusing.

Owen's collar bugs me, it is from the Trading Floor Outfit. It looks really thick, but I didn't want them both to wear the exact same thing.

Together2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited May 2017

Protype by Hinkypunk proved an interesting challenge. The set puts a geoshell over your character. I found it best to add some high definition morphs to the body to avoid the obscuring of facial details. But I still couldn't avoid a certain mannequin quality. I will try again though since I think the skin and shell are pretty.

prototype.png
    1400 x 1600 - 6M

Aw, the rollerblading one is adorable! Love the lighting on all of these.

However, I do not like the tuxedo shoulder, it seems like the shoulder (going horizontally) curves down then rolls upward. Like the 70's shoulder pads. I haven't tried the product yet. A D Former may be needed. I know what you mean about not having the collar the same for the two guys. It would be nice if some of these would have bones/movement morphs. (I haven't done clothes for bones, so don't know how those would work for collars.)

I haven't been successful at doing deformers. I have tried, but the instructions aren't clear enough for me I'm afraid, and the videos have tools that don't look like mine.

The collars are really thick on most of the men's suits. The shoulders of the tux are awkward, and it ads a lot of body thickness, but I like that it doesn't hug the pecs like other men's suits do. The bowtie also looks like a cartoon character's. 

@ Serene Night - the date scene is adorable.  And you're right, Own looks kind of shy.  It is great when an expression looks real, they don't always feel/look authentic, you know?  But that one is exactly on point. 

I see what you are saying about the collar and what @Novica says about the shoulder.  You guys are making me see issues that my eyes previously glossed over.  Kind of like when someone points out a plot hole in a movie, or an error (hair change/clothing change from scene to scene that shouldn't be there, for example).  Once someone brings those things to your attention, you can't unsee them, lol  It's good though, it is teaching me to look at things with a more critical eye.  All those things can be fixed in post work if they bug you, but in order to fix them, you have to notice them first!

Once someone brings those things to your attention, you can't unsee them, lol  It's good though, it is teaching me to look at things with a more critical eye.  All those things can be fixed in post work if they bug you, but in order to fix them, you have to notice them first!

@worldsedge  That's our job, to make you miserable. Misery loves company! devil

This discussion has been closed.