Bug Report: Animators Beware, DS 4.12.1.117 deletes values keyframes en masse

13»

Comments

• hookflash said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    KennethC said:

Any news on the bug fix for this issue from DAZ?   

There is a new entry in the Change Log http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_2_40

Thank you for pointing it out, Richard. It is encouraging to see some action on timeline bug fixes.

Well, this is of course the fruit of action that had been going on for a while - but nothing appears in the change log until there is a change to report.

... And the change says "fixed". So the burning question now is how long before we get a new beta? I don't remember such a long gap between beta releases.

I swear, I'm going to get the Daz logo tattooed on my forehead if they really did fix the Timeline / IK bugswink

you will look like a face transfer character cheeky

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,053
    edited September 2020

When I go to the link, there is no 4.12.2.40 entry?

If you mean on the change log page, it's at the bottom of the list for the "private build" section.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Leana said:

When I go to the link, there is no 4.12.2.40 entry?

If you mean on the change log page, it's at the bottom of the list for the "private build" section.

The "DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to" comes after the changes for that build, it's the last step.

• mindsong said:

My take-away is that they are not actually missing, just inaccessible without doing toggling/setting gymnastics. Not sure if a save after the visibility issues occurs would 'confirm' the preceived loss, but that could go either way.

I think the Keymate relationship is that plugin can still 'see' the data if it is there to see.

To the user, the data that was there appears to not be there, and that is scary, and certainly not good for productivity - obviously changing the course of a workflow, if you think your recent work is gone.

Also - I noted elsewhere that the timeline framecount is doing the same thing.

A recent 1200 frame effort of mine gave me a start when it was 'truncated' in the timeline to 269 frames (no idea why 269) when reloaded into a 4.12 DS instance. I reset that to 1200 and the frames and my keyframes were still there, even though the scene/timeline *appeared* to be truncated.

Try disbaling AniMate.

Actually it should be enough simply to have the AniMate plug-in closed throughout the session

mindsong said:

And, for the last 5 or so DS general updates, my timeline 'active zoom?' was reset to 217 frames, meaning I would save something at X and restart/reload it to refresh DS memory (...) and when rendering the series I would find that it stopped at 217 (of the 1000+) that was/were set. Irritating, but probably in related code. All project-driven DS animators know about this quirk, but ... well I can't mention devs and actually using tools without deletion.

--ms

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

DS Version 4.12.1.118 on Windows 10
    Ticket has been sumitted to tech support

Anyone have anything new on this issue?

I have been using 4.12 daily since it first dropped.  I create comic/graphic novel panels. It makes sense for me to generate single scene files with multiple frames, each with differing camera angles, poses, etc.  I set up a scene with multiple frames and then render the entire scene as an Image Series. DAZ claims (I think) that DS is a fine application for doing this sort of work, yet here we are months later with this issue unresolved.   

I first noticed an issue about a week ago when saving/re-opening a file with a clothing wearable that required a morph adjustment about half way through the timeline. The morph change disappeared when the file was re-opened.  I thought it was an anomaly with that particular scene file. 

I next saw it yesterday when I tried to modify an old multi-frame scene that included a "Mouth Smile" on a G2 character.  The old file loaded correctly and worked as expected.  However, when I re-save the scene file and re-opened it, I noticed that the changes to this property were lost along the timeline.  I thought it might be an issue with G2, but when I loaded a G8 character into a empty scene, made some morph mods, then saved/re-opened, I noticed that the issued replicated there, as well. 

The issue also applies to scene subset files.  

When the issue is observed, a simple test is to load a G2 character into an empty scene.  At frame 0, make sure pose "Mouth Smile Closed" is set to zero.  At frame 1, set the paremeter to 100% (see attached).  Save as a scene or scene subset.  When the scene or scene subset is re-opened from the file, the result will depend on where the scrubber was when then scene was saved.  If saved at frame 0, the  "Mouth Smile Closed" parm will be zero for both frames.  If the scene was saved with the scrubber at frame 1, the "Mouth Smile Closed" parm will be 100% at frame 1 and not keyed at frame 0 (essentially 100% for both frames).  I have tried this with 10 frames.  I have keyframed the entire character at both frames.  I have keyframed (using GraphMate) just the "Mouth Smile Closed" at both frames.  I have tested this using the DS Timeline only and I have tested it using KeyMate/GraphMate.  Same result.  

I cannot determine what changes to my setup that may have precipitated the issue.  I have not installed any new plugins in well over a year.  

I would guestimate that more than 70% of my scenes have multiple frames.  It would be a major blow to my workflow if I have to resort to creating single scene or scene subset files for each panel in a scene.

G2F Frame 0.jpg
    720 x 720 - 198K
    G2F Frame 1.jpg
    720 x 720 - 199K
  • The issue appears to have been fixed in the open beta, so use that. 

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

Richard, Slartibartfast,

Thanks for info.  For those, like me, who prefer not to work with betas releases, let DAZ tech support know that you are having issues and they will direct you to a prior version of 4.12.  I am still trying to access the damage.  I produce roughly 2-3 scene files a day, so it doesn't require a degree in math to see that there may be quite a few corrupted files...

• Just installed the latest beta (4.12.60), and the keyframe holocaust still persists when opening my pre-4.12 scenes, no difference at all

I have (or had) a similar workflow from artistb3, I use the timeline only to make different takes in the same scene instead of creating several scenes, so most of the stuff I have ever done on daz is corrupted

• tamarindo said:

Just installed the latest beta (4.12.60), and the keyframe holocaust still persists when opening my pre-4.12 scenes, no difference at all

An update to fix an issue with saving can't restore previously lost keys, ir can only ensure that the issue is now gone for new saves. If you have scenes that did have keys, didn't show them in the recent release builds (from which they were not saved), and still don't show them in the beta then that would be a different issue - for which more information is required. There were also issues with the display of information - the play rnage being truncated by the AniMate 2 (or Lite) plug-in, and certain filter options requiring a bit of jiggling to show, both of which should now be fixed (and they didn't actually lose data, though they may have caused a heart-stopping moment or two when it looked as if they had).

tamarindo said:

I have (or had) a similar workflow from artistb3, I use the timeline only to make different takes in the same scene instead of creating several scenes, so most of the stuff I have ever done on daz is corrupted