A Few Fantasy Town Backgrounds

Here are a few backgrounds I created using Daz assets, often involving applying shaders and creatively smashing different premade purchased assets together so they look like they belong together.

Dragon Age Lake Callenhad Background.jpeg
1500 x 926 - 317K
Jader Estate 1.png
1070 x 910 - 2M
Jader Estate 2.png
1064 x 598 - 1M
Jader Estate 3.png
1064 x 851 - 2M
Jader Estate 4.png
1064 x 851 - 1M
Jader Estate 5.png
1064 x 851 - 2M
Jader Estate 6.png
1064 x 851 - 2M
Busy Medieval Port.jpeg
2000 x 1600 - 738K
Boston Market.jpeg
3837 x 1896 - 2M
Hogwarts Great Hall.jpg
1500 x 1125 - 1M

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,863

@fairman2007,

After looking at each image that was some amazing work. I have tried to do that before at a more limited level and gave up. Totally blown away at your skill, imagination, and perserverance.

Mary

• @fairman2007,

After looking at each image that was some amazing work. I have tried to do that before at a more limited level and gave up. Totally blown away at your skill, imagination, and perserverance.

Mary

@memcneil70

Thank you so much for the comment.

It is time-consuming, even when you start with a base of premade assets, just retexturing them and positioning them and keeping camera reference points in mind. Fun, to be able to create your own worldscapes though. I'm better at towns than nature where I stick even closer to the premade stuff.

I tend to use Daz to illustrate scenes from roleplays I've done, or as fan-art for games/movies I've enjoyed. Daz is a great creative stress-releiver after a long boring day at work.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,270

Harry Potter's Great Hall, and a town from Dragon Age, right?

I've publication projects based on both of those. 

• JOdel said:

Harry Potter's Great Hall, and a town from Dragon Age, right?

I've publication projects based on both of those. 

Yeah? What are you publishing? Dragon Age is my favorite video game, though I'm not good at figures I do think I'm getting borderline ok at background scenes, though I mostly still use premade assets.

• Here is a town I just completed, loosely inspired by Minas Tirith from Lord of the Rings.

Tiered City.jpeg
    4000 x 2472 - 2M

Here's the page for the first volume of a 5-Volume series. It's called 'Vicrory at Ostagar'. The author is very good indeed. I also have a number of her Potterfics in the Publications collection. Her page on ff.net has some additional Dragon Age stories. 'The Keening Blade' is a fun one. 

http://www.redhen-publications.com/VaO-1.html

• JOdel said:

Here's the page for the first volume of a 5-Volume series. It's called 'Vicrory at Ostagar'. The author is very good indeed. I also have a number of her Potterfics in the Publications collection. Her page on ff.net has some additional Dragon Age stories. 'The Keening Blade' is a fun one. 

http://www.redhen-publications.com/VaO-1.html

Very impressive! I had no idea people took fanfiction that seriously, its a full novel.

Neat that you blended your own 3d art with game screen shots and drawings from the Wiki.

The most impressive thing though was the book format you put it into, with the trim that made it look like an ornate medival manuscript like the old monks used to create. How cleverly done it was! You must have graphics art skills aside from your Daz skill. 

Yeah, I worked in graphics for something close to 40 years, even if the graphics I was building on the job were pretty much all designed to look like maps. All pretty much self-taught. I was already on the job for close to 20 years before we ever got access to a computer.

That faux 2-page spread layout is something that I developed back around 2003. It made all kinds of sense at the time. At that point ePublishing was still mostly a glimmer in just a few random eyes, and none of the current formats for doing ePublishing existed yet. I still think it's probably the best trade-off between what is doable and how I want things to look.

At that time the most accessible cross-platform format available was Acrobat. Which has the advantage of fitting whatever size of window you drag it to. The basic layout actually is designed to fit on US letter-sized stock, so any of my publications projects *can* be printed (apart from the theater crafts book, and it can, too, just not on letter-sized stock. It calls for ledger/tabloid-sized). But I wouldn't really recommend printing them. Those background graphics on *every page* tend to choke printers. And it eats ink and toner like nobody's business.

Of course, even though it fits the window, I doubt that anyone can read any of them on a smartphone. And quite frankly, I'm not about to try to develop something  that can be read on a smartphone. My hobby is designing *books,* damnit.

Yeah, fanfic is a very wide-ranging phenomenon, and there are some excellent works of fiction written for it. (a lot of dreck too, but there's a lot of commercially published dreck.) The ones on my site were all things that I found entertaining to read. In addition to the 'Victory at Ostagar' series, it's mostly Harry Potter fanfic. But there are a couple of apocryphal Oz books as well.