Timeline Graph View

Until now I have been using GraphMate as my timeline graph editor but today I decided to try the new one which is built-in with the new 4.12 timeline. I clicked to expand the graph panel but, try as I might, I can't adjust the view to focus on my keyframes or the portion of the timeline where the action is. The icons to the right which include pan and zoom, etc., don't seem to do much and the one I expected to reset the view to show the frame just doesn't. Is there a tutorial explaining these new features?

Comments

• Are you using the General release (4.12.0.86) or the Public Build (4.12.1.75)? There have been quite a few fixes and changes to the Timeline in the latter.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Are you using the General release (4.12.0.86) or the Public Build (4.12.1.75)? There have been quite a few fixes and changes to the Timeline in the latter.

I have (this morning) updated to 4.12.1.76 using DIM. So I hadn't used the new graph editor before then and thought I might experiment with it using the updated 4.12.1.76. 

To be clear, I still have Keymate and GrahMate tabs so I have been using those until now. I know the new timeline is supposed to replace them but I can't find much information on the new features. So I have furthr questions such as, what if I import a scene that I animated using KeyMate/GraphMate - will the keyframes I created in that scene be visible (and adjustable) using the replacement key/graph tools?

• Yes, KeyMate/GrpahMate and the equivalent featrues in the updated Timeline are all working on basic DS keyframes, they are not like AniBlocks using a special data structure.

edited April 2020

Yes, KeyMate/GrpahMate and the equivalent featrues in the updated Timeline are all working on basic DS keyframes, they are not like AniBlocks using a special data structure.

Could you explain how to view the key frames in the new graph panel? As I said, trying to manipulate the view with those frame tools on the right is not helping me zero in on the area of the timeline. 

Post edited by marble on
  • In Advanced mode you need to expand the dope sheet to show the actual property names, then you will see and be able to manipulate the individual keys.

edited April 2020

In Advanced mode you need to expand the dope sheet to show the actual property names, then you will see and be able to manipulate the individual keys.

Ok, so I checked the drop-down and I am in View Mode > Advanced View. I have two panels open across the bottom of my screen. The upper panel is the Timeline and the lower panel is what I assume to be the graph panel (no idea what you mean by "dope sheet"). The lower panel is empty and no matter what I do with the adjustment buttons on the right, nothing appears in that panel.

[EDIT] Just to explain further. In GraphMate I would select a pose/transform parameter in the properties panel and that would then show in the GraphMate panel with the keyframes along the timeline and a graph plotted between the keyframes. This allowed maniplulation of the pose from the plotted keyframes in the graph. I try to follow the same procedure in in the new timeline but again, nothing appears in that panel - even if I manage to get the view to focus on the movement zone (+/-10, for example).

timeline.jpg
    2462 x 475 - 100K
    Post edited by marble on
  • The dope sheet is the uppe area - you need to expand the bones, by clicking the triangles, then the groups under the bones, to get to the individual parameters. This is in 4.12.0.86, since that is what I had available.

Timeline dopesheet and keys.jpg
    1920 x 474 - 117K

The dope sheet is the uppe area - you need to expand the bones, by clicking the triangles, then the groups under the bones, to get to the individual parameters. This is in 4.12.0.86, since that is what I had available.

Ahh I see it now, thanks. There's a "Properties" category under the Node on the left hand side of the Timeline (upper panel). There I found the parameters with a "P" in a box and selecting that highlights the keyframe triangle and also shows the graph below. The regular Properties tab doesn't seem to be connected when it comes to the timeline.

Wow, that's quite involved compared to Graphmate but maybe that's because of what I got used to. 

edited April 2020

I've hit another problem with the new Timeline Graph view.

I cant select the keyframes in the last frame because they are covered by the pan and zoom buttons. In Graphmate I can click on the keyframe marker and drag it around to adust the setting (or just delete the key). So I am once again returning to the tried & trusted Graphmate because the new timeline isn't finished yet.

Timeline02.jpg
    568 x 387 - 23K
    Post edited by marble on