April 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• sueya said:

Here's version 2 of my image. I have moved the camera to show the candlelabra and changed the floor to polished stone to get more reflections. I would like some feedback and advice on how to get coloured rays coming through the stained glass window if that's possible with 3Delight.

hi...

volumetric light

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/dazstudio/studio-lighting06

• AZDigitalArtistAZDigitalArtist Posts: 775
    edited April 2020

Hello, I call this one "Gaia."  I did some color grading in Photoshop and added some brushwork and some fractals from a friend, along with the planet, which I couldn't find in my Daz library at all.

SheriEmerson_Gaia.jpg
    720 x 900 - 826K
    Post edited by AZDigitalArtist on
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    edited April 2020

Hello, I call this one "Gaia."  I did some color grading in Photoshop and added some brushwork and some fractals from a friend, along with the planet, which I couldn't find in my Daz library at all.

This looks amazing!

I can easily imagine this being a book cover for a SciFi-Fantasy book.

P.S.

Could you please tell me the character and outfit you used?

Post edited by alex86fire on
  • SmoerebroetSmoerebroet Posts: 31
    edited April 2020

@AZDigitalArtist
    Very nice rendering. I like that little "Luis" here and that happy "Royo" there. ;)

(Hm, scratch head ... i tagged AZDigitalArtist but it's not linked. I know it from other sites with CKEditor it works ... shouldn't it show up a list with potential users after typed some letters?)

Post edited by Smoerebroet on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,797

@AZDigitalArtist
    Very nice rendering. I like that little "Luis" here and that happy "Royo" there. ;)

(Hm, scratch head ... i tagged AZDigitalArtist but it's not linked. I know it from other sites with CKEditor it works ... shouldn't it show up a list with potential users after typed some letters?)

not happening here, but the way you did should have worked

• Hello, I call this one "Gaia."  I did some color grading in Photoshop and added some brushwork and some fractals from a friend, along with the planet, which I couldn't find in my Daz library at all.

This looks amazing!

I can easily imagine this being a book cover for a SciFi-Fantasy book.

P.S.

Could you please tell me the character and outfit you used?

Hi, thanks for the compliments!.....I used Rune 7 and the Corvus Ensemble outfit by Arki and Shox-Design  https://www.daz3d.com/the-corvus-ensemble-for-genesis-3-female-s-and-genesis-8-female-s

• @AZDigitalArtist

Wow....I have no idea what any of that means....sorry...I've been on Daz since around the end of April last year, and started doing 3D renders in July, if that's what you're asking.

• 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182
    edited April 2020

This is not final. This is from yesterday and I have made some progress but haven't rendered it. The progress is just a minor tweak in the pose but damn dforce. I have been working straight from yesterday with the exception of sleeping and eating and after countless simulations, I have managed to get small tweaks in the pose. For a small tweak, it took me too much time all-cause of simulations. I am starting to dislike dforce. I don't know what to call this picture. Anyway, I thought I should upload this before the update.

Country 00 Corrected Logo scaled.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited April 2020

Update. Haven't thought about the title. feel free to suggest.

Country 01 Clean Correction Logo Scaled.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by 0996ps on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,797

It's obviously a "spring flirt"

Here is a suggestion about making the process easier. Forget about de-forcing everything after every change, just finish up all the posing and then go ahead with the d-force. to further simplify safe the figure with the clothing item and whatever might be colliding into a subscene leaving away everything else, use d-orce there safe again and then merge into the complete scene (remove the figure previously occupying the space) . for several items on different persons make several subscenes. safes time and nerves.

Coming back to something you said earlier about which imagesyou like you stated that you like 3delight images, well why not try that? I will try to help you with questions. havening learned about lighting with 3delight will help you so much with rendering.

Linwelly said:

It's obviously a "spring flirt"

Here is a suggestion about making the process easier. Forget about de-forcing everything after every change, just finish up all the posing and then go ahead with the d-force. to further simplify safe the figure with the clothing item and whatever might be colliding into a subscene leaving away everything else, use d-orce there safe again and then merge into the complete scene (remove the figure previously occupying the space) . for several items on different persons make several subscenes. safes time and nerves.

Coming back to something you said earlier about which imagesyou like you stated that you like 3delight images, well why not try that? I will try to help you with questions. havening learned about lighting with 3delight will help you so much with rendering.

Scarfs was going through fence no matter what position the hand was in. I had to to manually adjust arm and hand again and again before and after simulation until dforce looked decent which wasted lot of time. I didn't check if the fence was an instance but I am sure it wasn't. I don't know if instances effect dforce anyway. Dforce is easy most of time except with scarfs. This is the second clothing which gave me trouble with dforce. Other then scarf going through fence, it was also sticking with feet even when I simulated it far from legs. I also made sure nothing was touching clothing. Dforce is tricky and I feel like if it effects efficiency and speed I am but better off with it but when you need professionalism it may be worth trying.

3dl is interesting and I have decent amount of Genesis 1 content but the reason why I do not want to try it is that it renders very slow for me and I can't get test result with quick render like I can with Iray. These two alone makes me think 3dl is not for me but I could try 1 render with it. It's open render challenge and this could be a good time to try it.

At one point I felt like removing scarf entirely but then I was like it takes Dynamics away.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@TristanQEverett, Re: dforce. One thing you can do is create primitives to help guide the drape. For example, a plane between the scarf and the figure's feet can be used to prevent the scarf from coming into contact with the feet. And a cube could be used, a bit higher and forward of the fence, to keep the scarf from intersecting the fence.

I also prefer simulating using the Animation Timeline with 60 frames or more, At Frame 0 the figure is in the default pose, though frequently not at world center, (Start from Memorized Pose: Off,) adding a keyframe at Frame 0 because it isn't done automatically, then applying the final pose at Frame 30. That allows me to make tweaks along the timeline before the fiinal pose, if necessary. The fabric will "settle" during those last frames, but you can choose to use the results anywhere along the timeline.

Depending on what you're doing, it may be best to create a morph of the simulation at the frame you like best. Here's a how-to on creating morphs from dForce Sims.

• SmoerebroetSmoerebroet Posts: 31
    edited April 2020

@AZDigitalArtist

Wow....I have no idea what any of that means....sorry...I've been on Daz since around the end of April last year, and started doing 3D renders in July, if that's what you're asking.

This is a positive compliment and has nothing to do with DAZ. ;) It reminds me to the "heroic fantasy art" artist: Luis Royo.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Royo
    and some art:
    http://www.luisroyo.com/en/contact/ ( I linked the contact, because breast jumps in the eyes when opening the "index side". I'm not sure if this would be ok or not. Have a look in his gallery. :)

@Linwelly Yes i see it now. Hmmm is there a delay for displaying?

Edit: Ok no delay...who knows what happend yesterday.

Post edited by Smoerebroet on
    L'Adair said:

@TristanQEverett, Re: dforce. One thing you can do is create primitives to help guide the drape. For example, a plane between the scarf and the figure's feet can be used to prevent the scarf from coming into contact with the feet. And a cube could be used, a bit higher and forward of the fence, to keep the scarf from intersecting the fence.

I also prefer simulating using the Animation Timeline with 60 frames or more, At Frame 0 the figure is in the default pose, though frequently not at world center, (Start from Memorized Pose: Off,) adding a keyframe at Frame 0 because it isn't done automatically, then applying the final pose at Frame 30. That allows me to make tweaks along the timeline before the fiinal pose, if necessary. The fabric will "settle" during those last frames, but you can choose to use the results anywhere along the timeline.

Depending on what you're doing, it may be best to create a morph of the simulation at the frame you like best. Here's a how-to on creating morphs from dForce Sims.

Yep that will be very helpful. If only I had calmed down and thought a bit before I went crazy on manual adjustments. This much work isn't too hard compared to re-shadimg dream home and bar. This time I felt like it was too easy. I felt like everything was already made for me to just connect with each other. Then again i paid for all these stuff so I should get a use out of them even if it felt too easy. Anyway using primitives and timeline is great ideas. I will try it next time.
  • ariochsnowpawariochsnowpaw Posts: 147
    edited April 2020

Intermediate Challenge

The Traveler

A Traveler, weary from the road, did chance to lay

In pleasant glade to seek respite

Unknowing it was home to Fae

But also Wight

Dreamless, and deep, ’he passed the night

Much rested for the coming day

Kept safe by fairy light

’Til on his way

I think this still needs some refinement so would welcome suggestions.

Trying to play catch up a little since I missed a couple months of challenges.

I used instances for the Fae and Wights.  The trees are also instanced but I can’t take credit for that since it is DA Forest set.  I just moved things around.

The Wights are created in Marvelous Designer and mesh lights were added.

The dome is just a point light in an Uber Volume but I used a gel to create some variegated lighting on the sleeping traveler.  I think that may need to be stronger as it gets washed out a bit by the point light in the full render.

The Traveler and the Wights are posed with PowerPose and dForce.  Can’t take much credit for the Fae poses, those are just minor tweaks of Ethereal poses by Val3dart.

The background fog is from Sickleyield’s Fast Fog since I learned last year that heavy volumetrics and my rendering machine do not get along well.

The Traveler.jpg
    2500 x 1545 - 3M
    Post edited by ariochsnowpaw on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

I've made some progress using Volumetric light and OmniFreaker's Uber Volume shader. Need to reduce density and opacity I think so it looks less like a  blue white cone and more like dust

• sueya said:

I've made some progress using Volumetric light and OmniFreaker's Uber Volume shader. Need to reduce density and opacity I think so it looks less like a  blue white cone and more like dust

here you surely can find some good tips from the maker himself Mr. OmniFreaker

http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberVolume

• So I've a question. I began tweaking my scene and although the "Car Gal" theme I was going for is intact, it ended up with an entirely different feel to it, so much so that I felt it would be best to read the rules over again, and although it says:

4. Submit no more then 2 images to any one challenge.

I would like to make doubly sure that it would be alright if I submitted my entry once more, albeit with the changes I've made? To save time, I'll attached the image nonetheless, so if it's alright, great! If not, feel free to remove this message, or the attachment itself. smiley

MuscleCarNEON.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 135K
  • So I've a question. I began tweaking my scene and although the "Car Gal" theme I was going for is intact, it ended up with an entirely different feel to it, so much so that I felt it would be best to read the rules over again, and although it says:

I would like to make doubly sure that it would be alright if I submitted my entry once more, albeit with the changes I've made? To save time, I'll attached the image nonetheless, so if it's alright, great! If not, feel free to remove this message, or the attachment itself. smiley

I think it means not more than two totally different pictures. Otherwise beginners can't really participate and have a good learning experience. But i understand your doubt. I'm not 100% sure. Only 99.5%. XD

So I've a question. I began tweaking my scene and although the "Car Gal" theme I was going for is intact, it ended up with an entirely different feel to it, so much so that I felt it would be best to read the rules over again, and although it says:

You can post the same image multiple times. Posting early gives others a chance to give feedback, and gives you a chance to play with those ideas, or just continue to refine the scene. The point of the challenges is to help each other learn the program and hone our skills, so posting the image as it evolves makes a lot of sense. Regardless of how many times you post the image as it evolves, it is still considered a single entry.

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

Well it's been a little while since I took part in one of these challanges, so hopefully it isn't to latefor me to join this one. I decided to try and go for a sort of "musical part of the movie" vibe and with how big the lower part of the dress is I would say I managed to do that. One issue i've been having though is that there's a black bar sticking in the hair, I haven't been able to pin down what is causing it, especially since it is only visible in the renders. I have managed to fix it with photoshop so far but if anyone else knows what is behind it I could use the help.

1 (photoshopped).jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 246K
    1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 447K

Welcome back, no nose. That's a really nice image.

When Iray was first introduced to Daz Studio, the default optimization was Memory and I saw anomalies like that black bar on many things. The beta testers were able to figure out that needed to be set to Speed to get rid of the anomalies. Now Speed is the default. Working from memory, you'll find that parameter in the Render Settings > Optimization. I believe it is now called Instancing Optimization. Check that and change it to Speed, if necessary.

If that's not it, then I have no idea.

One comment on the image, I think it would look even better if you changed the dimensions to be taller, show us more of the background above her hand, as well as more of her skirt. (Assuming the rest of the skirt looks as good as that in the frame.

And if you want to tone down the blowout of the white dress, you can add a touch of gray to the Base Color parameter. The dress will still look white, but more of the details will show up.

L'Adair said:

When Iray was first introduced to Daz Studio, the default optimization was Memory and I saw anomalies like that black bar on many things. The beta testers were able to figure out that needed to be set to Speed to get rid of the anomalies. Now Speed is the default. Working from memory, you'll find that parameter in the Render Settings > Optimization. I believe it is now called Instancing Optimization. Check that and change it to Speed, if necessary.

One comment on the image, I think it would look even better if you changed the dimensions to be taller, show us more of the background above her hand, as well as more of her skirt. (Assuming the rest of the skirt looks as good as that in the frame.

And if you want to tone down the blowout of the white dress, you can add a touch of gray to the Base Color parameter. The dress will still look white, but more of the details will show up.

That did the trick, thank you very much. I also zoomed out the camera a bit, though the way the zoomed out version looked inspired me to mess a bit with the movment of the dress, not sure which one is better. Sadly as far as I can tell though, changing the base color of the dress didn't bring out much detail.

2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    3.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • Version C here, with toned down lighting to allow for the light from an added room to be seen on the floor, and instance of the person walking down the hall exiting said room, a droid parented to the first walker, and another droid coming up behind the hero. Also tweeked the camera angle some.

april2020c.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited April 2020
    no nose said:
    L'Adair said:

That did the trick, thank you very much. I also zoomed out the camera a bit, though the way the zoomed out version looked inspired me to mess a bit with the movment of the dress, not sure which one is better. Sadly as far as I can tell though, changing the base color of the dress didn't bring out much detail.

I like those better, with more space between her hand and the top of the image. What I was thinking, though, was making the dimensions different, so the image is not square. Here's your 3.png cropped to a 3.5:5 ratio. You actually have a number of options for dimensions built in to Daz Studio. There is a drop-down in Render Settings > General called Dimension Preset (Global) For portrait orientation, I recommend giving "Golden Ration - Portrait" a try.

3, from no nose, cropped to a portrait orientation.

3 (700x1000).png
    700 x 1000 - 776K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited April 2020
    L'Adair said:
    no nose said:
    L'Adair said:

I like those better, with more space between her hand and the top of the image. What I was thinking, though, was making the dimensions different, so the image is not square. Here's your 3.png cropped to a 3.5:5 ratio. You actually have a number of options for dimensions built in to Daz Studio. There is a drop-down in Render Settings > General called Dimension Preset (Global) For portrait orientation, I recommend giving "Golden Ration - Portrait" a try.

ah didn't realize, not sure if it's to zoomed out now but here we go

edit: tried messing with camera settings to zoom in a bit, not sure why the background changed or if it's also a problem.

4.png
    1000 x 1333 - 1M
    5.png
    1000 x 1333 - 2M
    6.png
    1000 x 1333 - 1M
    Post edited by no nose on
  • ShackShack Posts: 22

I decided to enter an image I have been working on and I am hoping to get some advice. I don't usually do romantic images but this one just got stuck in my mind and I had to try rendering it. The problem I am having is that I want a sharp crip image but the render always comes out fuzzy. (I am using DAZ Studio 4.12.)  is there a render setting to correct this?

Isabelle's Beaus - The Lieutenant.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    no nose said:
    L'Adair said:
    no nose said:
    L'Adair said:

ah didn't realize, not sure if it's to zoomed out now but here we go

edit: tried messing with camera settings to zoom in a bit, not sure why the background changed or if it's also a problem.

I seldom use the camera's settings in Parameters to move it. I select it in the upper right corner, so the viewport acts as my camera viewfinder, then frame the scene from there. I use the icons to zoom, pan, and tilt.

The background blur suggests you have enabled the Depth of Field on the camera. If so, the lower the Fstop value, the shorter the the area in focus and the stronger the blur. (Which can be in front, as well as in the background, with a really low Fstop value.) If you don't want the blur, just disable Depth of Field in Parameters > Camera settings.

Shack said:

I decided to enter an image I have been working on and I am hoping to get some advice. I don't usually do romantic images but this one just got stuck in my mind and I had to try rendering it. The problem I am having is that I want a sharp crip image but the render always comes out fuzzy. (I am using DAZ Studio 4.12.)  is there a render setting to correct this?

The image looks postworked to me, as though it was put through a painting filter. I've not seen anything like that in my own renders. Have you been tinkering with Render Settings > Filtering? If so, you could try setting those back to defaults. Do you have any specialized cameras installed? If so, you could try creating a new camera from the main menu, Create> New Camera.

Those are the two things that come to mind immediately. Having not seen that effect in my renders, though. I'm not really sure where to start.

(The effect looks nice though.)