Invisible object casting reflections

HeraHera Posts: 1,952
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi!

If I remember correct there is a way to have an object not visible in a render but still casting reflections in for instance a mirror. (Like an apparition or a ghost) Can I make this happen and if so how?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,870
    edited December 1969

using uberSurface, set Phantom to On and leave RayTracing set to On - Phantom hides the surface from the camera, RayTracing leaves it visible in reflections.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Fathom not Phantom mind you Phantom might have been a better name. :)

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

using uberSurface, set Phantom to On and leave RayTracing set to On - Phantom hides the surface from the camera, RayTracing leaves it visible in reflections.

Great! Just what I needed! Thanks guys!

The+Phantom+Sample+2011+color[1].jpg
    1021 x 1600 - 247K
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Fathom not Phantom mind you Phantom might have been a better name. :)

Hi Szark,

Fantom not Fathom :-P

edited December 1969

ROFLOL I sit corrected, sorry Richard mt bad but you still spelt it wrong. :P Thanks Prixat for correcting me

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,870
    edited December 1969

I spelt it right, I just remembered it wrong.

edited December 1969

LOL true I will go and hide under a rock now.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Actually Pete, it's just another one of those "across the pond" spelling things that you and I discussed awhile ago...that's our story and we're sticking to it.

edited December 1969

LOL well you guys still get it wrong. But you know it is bloody creeping in over here. The advertising folks don't use Twice but two times and I hate it with all my being. And there are plenty more Americanism creeping in all the time.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL well you guys still get it wrong. But you know it is bloody creeping in over here. The advertising folks don't use Twice but two times and I hate it with all my being. And there are plenty more Americanism creeping in all the time.

*laughs* I used the word 'thrice' in a conversation not so long ago and due to that made someone look it up in the Oxford dictionary :) Ok, the word is a bit dated, but so am I :)