Should I upgrade to V6?

ocimpeanocimpean Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am pondering if I should upgrade to V6 or spend the cash to get some elite and accessories for my V4++. What is your opinion? Is it worth the upgrade?
Also, I noticed if you upgrade to V6, there are requirements for face and body morphs for Genesis, HD upgrades etc.
Thanks

Comments

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited March 2014

Now that we have GenX2 and all the others wonderful PA tools, I think yes it is time to move on ! ;)

You could use most of your V4/M4 clothes (thanks autofit)

You can use V4 UV maps http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female

You can use M4 UV maps http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-for-genesis-2-male

Transfer your morphs http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2 + http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-2

A lot of morphs packs even NPM since today!

So time to join the G2F/M world!

Post edited by sioc on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

I would say it depends on what you want. If you are perfectly happy with V4 then stay with her. She is "old" but still supported by a lot of vendors.

As you can see in the V6 promos, the newer figures are much more detailed and "real" looking. So if you are going for realism then V6 would be a good start.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2014

I don't have her yet but I did get Olympia and am very happy with her http://www.daz3d.com/women/olympia-pro-bundle and as was stated above all clothes from v4 will fit..... http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female .....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Are you using DAZ Studio or Poser?

At this point most DAZ Studio users have switched or are switching to G2F/V6. I use to use a mixture of V4 and G1 figures, but now I am moving almost exclusively to G2F/M based figures.

There still is a large community of people using V4, but they are mostly using Poser. I am starting to see some characters/clothing/hair coming out with V4 and V6 versions. This should be much easier now the Gen2X is out. The ones I have bought, the V4 version comes with Poser materials and the G2F/V6 version comes with DAZ materials. Now since both probably use the same UVs, the material should be interchangeable, but the artist is clearly thinking V4 for Poser, G2F/V6 for DAZ Studio.

I expect in the future the market for new V4 clothes and characters will be more Poser oriented. It already has been to some extent.

The Genesis 2 technology has some clear advantages vs V4. The bends at the shoulder, elbows and knees are more realistic. The issue of the shoulder crease on V4 is very well known. There are after market morph products like Perfect V4 Complete available at rendo that fix most of these issues. Most of the people that are sticking with V4 are using that or a similar product to fix the short comings of V4.

The HD technology with Genesis 2 allows more detail, especially in the hands and feet and can produce more realistic renders.

DAZ will continue to support V4, but I expect fewer and fewer new products for V4 will appear in the DAZ store. There already are very few new products. Other stores, like Rendo and RunDNA, are still producing mainly new product for V4, but they are more focused on the Poser community.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

mark128 said:

At this point most DAZ Studio users have switched or are switching to G2F/V6. I use to use a mixture of V4 and G1 figures, but now I am moving almost exclusively to G2F/M based figures.

There still is a large community of people using V4, but they are mostly using Poser.

Interesting. Where did you get that information? I can only speak for myself but I work in DAZ STUDIO on V4. Nor have I "switched to" V6. I use both, as can easily be seen in my Art Studio thread.

• ocimpeanocimpean Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I would like to thank you for your answers. I am using Daz. The final render is intended for a visual novel project I am working on.
    At this point, I realize that going one way or another is required, to enable me to get the results I want as I can not buy content for all figures.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    mark128 said:

There still is a large community of people using V4, but they are mostly using Poser.

Interesting. Where did you get that information? I can only speak for myself but I work in DAZ STUDIO on V4. Nor have I "switched to" V6. I use both, as can easily be seen in my Art Studio thread.

I base this on several bits of information. Posts from PA's indicating that sales figures of V4/G1 products in the DAZ store are small compared to the sales figures of a similar item for G2F/M. Now this doesn't really mean that users of DAZ Studio have switched to using V6, it just means they are buying new products mainly for G2F/V6 and not so much for V4 anymore. They may still be using V4 in renders, but they are not buying new clothing/characters for her anymore.

I have a large collection of V4 characters and clothing. I use to use a mixture of G1 and V4 characters in my renders. I expected to use a mixture of G2, G1 and V4 characters when I started buying G2 items. In the last 3 or 4 months I have decided to switch almost entirely to G2 based characters, although many of those characters will be my V4 characters transformed through GenX2.

There are a couple of reasons for this. One is that I like how skin looks using the AoA SSS shader. Now there is nothing to stop a PA from making a V4 character using the AoA SSS shader, but I don't think very many PAs will bother unless they also have a G2F/V6 version of the character. The V4 specific characters/clothes will increasingly be targeted at the Poser market. Not all G2F/M characters use the AoA SSS shader, but more and more seem to be. I am also getting better at changing character skins to use AoA SSS.

I was also getting tired of the shoulder crease and bending problem on V4 and having to cover that up with posing or clothes all the time. I could have gone and bought the perfect V4, which I assume fixes those problems, but I decided to simply switch to G2F/M that does not have the problem.

I have seen posts from several other people indicating they are also switching almost exclusively to G2F/M, but that is a very small sample. I based my comments mostly on the declining sales V4 products here in the DAZ store. If large numbers of customers were still using V4 actively, they would be buying new clothes and accessories for her. There may well be a significant user community that is not buying much, but has a runtime full of V4 products they are using actively.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I know that took a lot of time.
    You said:
    "I base this on several bits of information. Posts from PA's indicating that sales figures of V4/G1 products in the DAZ store are small compared to the sales figures of a similar item for G2F/M."

My opinion: Sales of old items that thousands of us already have are going to be a LOT less than new releases. It stabilizes over time as products age and more and more people already own it. And if new products are not being made for V4, I don't think that can be compared to a figure with new releases almost every week. Lol, if nothing new is being made, it's impossible to buy it. In statistics, your target samples must be equivalent to compare the statistics resulting from them. A generation with weekly offerings compared to a generation with rare offerings is not a comparable sampling- and sales do not determine USE of a figure.

You said:"they are not buying new clothing for her anymore. And if they are not buying new clothes, they are not using the figure.")

No one can say that because people are not buying V4 things now, (which is erroneous, I know I buy a lot of V4, as do many other people) that artists are not using her! People who have hundreds / thousands of products for V4 are probably using her, but not buying. And people may not be buying V4 things because they have what they want (sales factor) which does not determine if they are USING her. There are so many similar products too.

I do think it's nice that all the whiz-bang products allow transferring the older generations to the newer ones, but many people can't afford all those. That also has to be considered. People are still using Aiko 3 and loving her (for good reason) so there's also a familiarity with a figure that contributes to sticking with a figure that you know.

I think, however, you have an excellent point about the creases and the improvements in the later figures, and that would indeed cause artists to consider transferring V4 things to the later generations and not using the V4 figure itself.

I like the way you laid out your arguments and took the time to explain it for me- thanks! We'll just agree to disagree I guess.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I see these posts as Apples vs Oranges.
    Without sales comparisons from other sites to base the data on it will show a lean to the content released and sold only on one site.
    So in my view it is still anyone's guess as to which figure does better over all.
    I'm a I own it I will use it type, it just depends on which figure is best for the job at hand. I buy for all figures I still own.
    This ranges from the Gen3's to the Gen6's and some other figures sold here and at other sites.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I see these posts as Apples vs Oranges.
    Without sales comparisons from other sites to base the data on it will show a lean to the content released and sold only on one site.
    So in my view it is still anyone's guess as to which figure does better over all.
    I'm a I own it I will use it type, it just depends on which figure is best for the job at hand. I buy for all figures I still own.
    This ranges from the Gen3's to the Gen6's and some other figures sold here and at other sites.

Neither DAZ or any of the other sites are ever going to disclose these kinds of sales figures.

I have seen posts here by PAs saying they are not developing new G1 and V4 content for the DAZ store because the sales here do not justify their time to develop the product. I have also seen posts from PAs saying that their income from a successful product in the DAZ store is much greater than at the other stores. Maybe the most successful PAs at those other stores get much higher sales. We will never know.

I just know that I am seeing very few new G1 or V4 products in the DAZ Store and I"m seeing products for G2F staring to appear in other stores.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

whats the benefit from having V6 over G2F ?
    she has no new morphs as I can see
    you even have to buy those seperately

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991
    edited December 1969

V6 is a character, like Gia 6, Stephanie 6. She comes with a different, better quality skin texture in comparision to G2F, and has other characters and HD morphs based on her shape in particular.
    What I also noticed is that some poses for G2F don't fit 100% to V6, and vice versa.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited March 2014

ruphuss said:
    whats the benefit from having V6 over G2F ?
    she has no new morphs as I can see
    you even have to buy those seperately
    V6 is a morph for G2F, so any morphs are interchangeable. There are several characters based on V6 UVs, which you will need the figure to use. Having more options is rarely a bad thing, so you can decide which ones are worth your money. For my part, I own every major character for Genesis 2 Female simply because I like the flexibility of being able to use any characters which may arise.

Victoria 4 is obviously aimed more at Poser users than the Daz Studio crowd. Most V4 products are aimed squarely at Poser users, with no Daz materials offered. Daz Studio was still fairly young when V4 was first released, so it makes sense that the user base is largely Poser based. With Genesis 2 Female being native to Daz Studio and infinitely more versatile, it's only natural that newer users would gravitate towards using her rather than the seven year-old Victoria 4.

I personally don't have anything against the Gen 4 figures. Sure they're a bit more clunky compared to the streamlined Genesis, but they have a wealth of support from publishers. Since they run natively in Poser with no DSON requirement, I think a lot of people use her simply because it's easier than having to import, and also because earlier versions of Poser are not compatible with the DSON importer.

Regarding the latter, my primary reason for switching to Daz Studio originally was because I wanted to take advantage of Genesis but could not import it to my version of Poser (using Poser Pro 2012). Since the full functionality of Genesis was only really available in Daz Studio, I started using it in late 2012 and have been using it ever since. The advantages over V4 are too numerous to ignore, and while the classics will still resonate strongly in the hearts of the Poser users, V6 is still my go-to female figure.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

V4, Genesis, and G2F are all great base figures. V4 (seems like you already have her) is a classic figure that will work in new and older versions of Poser and Daz Studio and has tons of clothes and characters sold in various 3d stores. Genesis is the most versatile and can be changed to either sex and also monster, toon figures... you name it. G2F is the new female base figure with more realism (incremental... not dramatic in my humble opinion)... alot of the newer clothes and characters are for her and her male G2M counterpart. Have fun with your hobby ... but watch your wallet.

edited March 2014

Here's a direct render comparision between the two, using the same Outfits (Nocturnal Dress for G2F, Pumps 2), hair (Fancy Hair) and a mirroring pose (Casual Sexy for G2F).
    The background is from Inane Glory's Photostudio, lights used are AoA Advanced Ambient Light at 30%, and AOA Advanced Distant Light at 100% strength.

EDIT: G2F is to the left, V6 is to the right. They were rendered in the same image getting equal light.

G2F_and_V6.png
    1414 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited March 2014

lee_lhs said:
    Here's a direct render comparision between the two, using the same Outfits (Nocturnal Dress for G2F, Pumps 2), hair (Fancy Hair) and a mirroring pose (Casual Sexy for G2F).
    The background is from Inane Glory's Photostudio, lights used are AoA Advanced Ambient Light at 30%, and AOA Advanced Distant Light at 100% strength.

V6 is the one to the right I think
    do they both have the same lighting ?
    which skin for G2F ?

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • ocimpeanocimpean Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I bought V6 in the end, and I did some test renders. Comparing my results I believe the above picture has V6 on the right.

About 6 Gen, no Freak 6 and Aiko 6 were released, if I am correct? Do they plan to address this in the future?

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    lee_lhs said:

V6 is the one to the right I think
    do they both have the same lighting ?
    which skin for G2F ?

Yes, V6 is on the right.
    They both are rendered at the same time, with the same light, center AOA Advanced direct lighting, and AOA Advanced Ambient Light in the center between them, so they get equal light. That's why I used mirroring poses. :-)
    The skin for G2F is the standard skin with which she default-loads; the same goes for V6. I only changed the eye color for V6.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2014

ocimpean said:
    I bought V6 in the end, and I did some test renders. Comparing my results I believe the above picture has V6 on the right.

About 6 Gen, no Freak 6 and Aiko 6 were released, if I am correct? Do they plan to address this in the future?

Generation 6 is still very new. Only time will tell how many new figures will be released in the generation, anything else would be pure speculation.

Post edited by Chohole on