Poser and Generation 5 UV Bundle for Genesis 2 Female(s)

LevanahLevanah Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Does anyone use this in Poser and has anyone tried to load Aiko 5 or V5 textures straight unto Gen 2`? It does not work in my case...If you get this to work, tell me how please. I am using PP 2014. Thanks...

The same goes for this product: http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_16559
I can't get this to work either...

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,114
    edited December 1969

Were the materials in .duf format (with a Poser file and a Python file to load them), or were they native .mc6 or .pz2 files with Poser material settings? For the latter to work you would need to apply a DSON format preset with the correct UVs first, then apply the Poser mat file.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

There are no presets for these uvs in either DAZ studio or Poser, but they will auto apply if you are using a correctly saved texture preset, which I think is what Richard was describing above. Files for generation 5 textures that were not saved with Poser Companion files, readable via the DSON importer will likely not apply to Genesis 2 in Poser. The easiest remedy for this is to apply the desired texture in DAZ studio, then save as a DUF file, then create a Poser companion file. I know it may seem inconvenient, but those texture presets were created before Genesis 2 was developed, so they are not going to have the correct DSON friendly files right away. Just as V4 and M4 textures had to be converted for use in Poser with Genesis 2, so will Generation 5.

• LevanahLevanah Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for answering guys. Sadly, it doesn't work as my files do have duf files alongside my mc6 files. I made a screen shot for you. If you look at my windows files on the right, you can see that they do come with DSON files. It does also load them upon Gen 2, but alongside its original textures. Poser nevertheless only reads the original textures as you can see on the left in the MAT creator window as they others don't exist for it, although they are present. It does apply the Gen 1 figure morphs when I apply a pz2 file upon Gen 2, but not the UV's.

Gen2-V51.JPG
    1336 x 862 - 219K
    edited December 1969

Oh...I now tried in in DS4.6 as all my files are installed on both platforms to make sure they work. I am not very good in DS, but I loaded Gen 2 and applied Gaby for V5 DUF texture to no avail.and tried SP5 texture Michelle, also to no avail....Nothing happens. DS does not even try to load them, giving me maybe an error message....Then I loaded Gen 2, applied load V4 UV, loaded a V4 textures from Poser to no avail. It only works with a DS DUF files and 99 percent of my packs are from RMP and come without DUF files, which renders the product useless to me. There is a third party product on the market for Gen 1 to use V4 or other textures and it works like a charm in Poser, using Poser native files. Why can't this product do the same? Was it maybe not do-able like this?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,114
    edited December 1969

Genesis 1 can use V4 textures directly (V4 is the default UV set) and doesn't need its mat files in .duf format - G2F (and G2M) do because the material names are different, but using the .duf format avoids the problem. However it does sound as if the new UV sets are simply failing to load: in DS, open the Surface pane (Window>Panes(Tabs)>Surface), select one of the G2F material zones in the left-hand column and then on the right look to see what options your have for UV Set.

edited December 1969

By doing this, they all show up and if I then select V5 UV and then apply a texture within DS, it works...Good...but sadly nothing for me as I need these to work in Poser :-(

edited March 2014

Levanah said:
    Oh...I now tried in in DS4.6 as all my files are installed on both platforms to make sure they work. I am not very good in DS, but I loaded Gen 2 and applied Gaby for V5 DUF texture to no avail.and tried SP5 texture Michelle, also to no avail....Nothing happens. DS does not even try to load them, giving me maybe an error message....Then I loaded Gen 2, applied load V4 UV, loaded a V4 textures from Poser to no avail. It only works with a DS DUF files and 99 percent of my packs are from RMP and come without DUF files, which renders the product useless to me. There is a third party product on the market for Gen 1 to use V4 or other textures and it works like a charm in Poser, using Poser native files. Why can't this product do the same? Was it maybe not do-able like this?

I hope I can explain this clearly. I just attempted what I'm about to say, just to make sure it worked and it did work. I'm not sure why you are not able to load Gabi or Michelle in DS... they should have worked without any issues in DAZ Studio.

The reason they don't work in Poser is because those .duf files were created before Genesis 2 was in existence. Because of that, the presets have all of the material zones named using the old naming conventions: ie 1_SkinFace, 02Torso, etc. Genesis 2 in Poser needs to have presets which name the material zones in the Genesis 2 method: ie Face, Torso, Cornea, etc.

I tested this theory with Aiko 5 default textures. In DAZ Studio, applying the .duf preset to Genesis 2 Female works without any additional steps. But in Poser, the preset does nothing to apply the texture. What I had to do was apply the texture to Genesis 2 Female in DAZ Studio, then save that as a new preset in .duf format, even though there is already a preset in .duf format. Once I did that, it was necessary to then convert that new preset to a Poser Companion file, which can be done from the content library tab. This new Poser companion file can be used in Poser and will apply the texture and the correct UVs.

It is unfortunate that these steps are necessary to use the textures on Genesis 2 Female in Poser, but it is only because the textures were pre-Genesis 2 and don't have the mat zones named the same. Poser, even with DSON, seems unable to sort out the names of the material zones based on the old preset. This is one of the reasons it is necessary to do these conversions from .PZ2 files as well. Poser use just requires that extra step, unfortunately.

Just to show you, I included a Poser render of Genesis 2 Female with the Aiko 5 default texture. This was after I did the steps above, and as you can see, the UV's have been applied and everything.

Aiko5Poser.jpg
    575 x 787 - 121K
    Post edited by Slosh on
    edited December 1969

Ok, I understand better now, but yesterday, when reading your product description:

Quote:
    "Please note that presets must be saved in .DUF format before they can be used on Genesis 2. Presets using .PZ2 or .DSA format can be converted manually or with 3rd Party products available in the DAZ Store."

You mention it needs .DUF files, which after checking, I had on my system, thus thinking it was safe to buy as a Poser user. Now, reading here that my .DUF need to be re-done using other .DUF files via DS makes me sigh because I can't give the product back as it was part of the madness thingy and I am sorry to say this to you but, I will NOT bother going into DS every single time I want to use a texture because there is a reason I do not use DS: I have thousands of dollars worth of Poser compatible products and I am specialized in that software.

Also, please point me towards the third party resource for conversion which you mention as I cannot find one. Thanks...Lev

edited December 1969

Levanah said:
    Ok, I understand better now, but yesterday, when reading your product description:

Quote:
    "Please note that presets must be saved in .DUF format before they can be used on Genesis 2. Presets using .PZ2 or .DSA format can be converted manually or with 3rd Party products available in the DAZ Store."

You mention it needs .DUF files, which after checking, I had on my system, thus thinking it was safe to buy as a Poser user. Now, reading here that my .DUF need to be re-done using other .DUF files via DS makes me sigh because I can't give the product back as it was part of the madness thingy and I am sorry to say this to you but, I will NOT bother going into DS every single time I want to use a texture because there is a reason I do not use DS: I have thousands of dollars worth of Poser compatible products and I am specialized in that software.

Also, please point me towards the third party resource for conversion which you mention as I cannot find one. Thanks...Lev

I understand completely, Levanah. It's okay. If I had to open Poser and convert things to use in DS, I wouldn't bother. As for the product description not mentioning this extra conversion, it's because I only discovered it while answering your questions. When I tested the product, I already had my files converted, so I didn't realize they wouldn't work without it.

As for the third party product to convert pz2 and dsa to duf, here is a link: http://www.daz3d.com/v4-skins-auto-converter-for-genesis-2-female-s and http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-skins-auto-converter-for-genesis-2-male-s

I should point out that I don't know if using those products will give you the same issue when using Poser or not, so you might want to ask someone who has tried it.

edited December 1969

Thanks for pointing them out, but they will only work for DS users within DS...:-(