Everyday Cables - Bravo! (When's VOl. 2 coming?)

CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,792

First, I don't think anything has ever gone in the cart faster than Maclean's new Everyday Cables set.  However, while it's an incredible set that obviously had a lot of thought put into it (extra kudos for the headphone plugs and extension strips) there are a few things that I'd really like to see added in a potential Volume 2, like: the rest of the international power plugs, especially the unpolarized US/Japan type A and the China/Australia/NZ Type I, as well as the plugs for phones (old style four pin and new modular), ethernet, the double plug airplane headphone jacks all use, the new thunderbolt/USB C, matching jacks/wallplates/ extention strips for all the preceding, XLR male and female plugs/cables and... I'm really surpised these aren't there... some big utility cable rolls of 25-100 ft lengths and maybe a couple of cables that come dForce ready?    

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075
    edited March 2020

This ^ Bought this one immediately.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,862

Yep, didn't even look at the pictures, just hit the buy icon.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

+1

Cables. Maclean. What else did I need to know?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,653

Epic release!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,412
    L'Adair said:

+1

Cables. Maclean. What else did I need to know?

Nothing. It just goes into the cart and then the runtime.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707

....now my electronics no longer need to be powered by Wardenclyffe towers.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Well, I'm extremely pleased you all like it. I just hope you find it easy to use. I struggled for a long time to find some sort of logical way to do it, but there are so many different options, it wasn't easy.

Re other types of plugs - I'll be honest, I'm not enthusiastic. Mainly because I like to be able to hold things in my hand when I'm modelling them. For the most part, I could do that with this pack, but the other stuff mentioned, I'm not so sure.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,589

How easy would it be to put one end of the cable where I want it, put the other end where I want it, and have the middle remain attached to both ends? I've always had quite a difficult time with that.

NylonGirl said:

How easy would it be to put one end of the cable where I want it, put the other end where I want it, and have the middle remain attached to both ends? I've always had quite a difficult time with that.

You can do that with most of the cables. They have separate sets of morphs for each end of the cable.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,894

I've been wanting UK plugs and sockets for a long time, don't think I've ever bought anything faster.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,153
    maclean said:

Well, I'm extremely pleased you all like it. I just hope you find it easy to use. I struggled for a long time to find some sort of logical way to do it, but there are so many different options, it wasn't easy.

Re other types of plugs - I'll be honest, I'm not enthusiastic. Mainly because I like to be able to hold things in my hand when I'm modelling them. For the most part, I could do that with this pack, but the other stuff mentioned, I'm not so sure.

I think you wouldn't be too enthousiastic if hundreds of random forum members from around the world were to send you samples of their local plugs and sockets? laugh

• How cool now I can have power cords and wll plugs for the sewing machine model I have. It's very funny to have a render of a gal sewing and yet no power cord plugged in to the wall and the machine. Brill!!  On my list

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,792
    edited March 2020
    Drip said:
    maclean said:

I think you wouldn't be too enthousiastic if hundreds of random forum members from around the world were to send you samples of their local plugs and sockets? laugh

There actually aren't that many if you're just talking about wall plugs... 14 basic designs, many of which are close enough to be cross compatible and six of which dominate most of the world.  It's when you start adding in the other electrical elements like AC/DC, amperage, etc. that things really get convoluted and confusing.  A good international power adaper set with the six basic plugs will set you back less than $15US on Amazon and give you everything you need to use most outlets for your phone, laptop, tablet, etc.... as long as you can actually find an outlet.  Frequent traveller tip - packing a couple of extension cords in your bag can save you a LOT of time and hassle when the only outlet is across the room from where you want to use your devices.    

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,546

i think we need a maclean bundle ... so much goodness in the store.  

Cybersox said:
    Drip said:
    maclean said:

There actually aren't that many if you're just talking about wall plugs... 14 basic designs, many of which are close enough to be cross compatible and six of which dominate most of the world.  It's when you start adding in the other electrical elements like AC/DC, amperage, etc. that things really get convoluted and confusing.  A good international power adaper set with the six basic plugs will set you back less than $15US on Amazon and give you everything you need to use most outlets for your phone, laptop, tablet, etc.... as long as you can actually find an outlet.  Frequent traveller tip - packing a couple of extension cords in your bag can save you a LOT of time and hassle when the only outlet is across the room from where you want to use your devices.    

That's the issue with doing a pack with a new type of plug. The entire pack has to be redone with the new plug added to every cable - and all the morphs - of which there are 100s. And to be honest, who would buy it just to get australian plugs? Yes, a few people, but not enough to justify the work involved. (And would DAZ even accept it? I wouldnn't know until I submitted it)

I hate to penalise a minority group, but I have to eat too.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited March 2020

Just as a side note, shout out to maclean for updating the fashion studio product a while ago. I believe its on of the first products in the store.

https://www.daz3d.com/fashion-studio

PA mvp 

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,546
    edited March 2020
    Paintbox said:

Just as a side note, shout out to maclean for updating the fashion studio product a while ago. I believe its on of the first products in the store.

https://www.daz3d.com/fashion-studio

PA mvp 

wow ..SKU 32 ... thats really cool. need moire advertising though when that happens. maybe it is in that commercial thread or osmething but i dont go there very often

Post edited by daveso on

Yes, it was released in June, 2001. I was the 12th PA to join DAZ. There was no DAZ Studio and no forums. (And Facebook had never been heard of..... happy days!)

The product was originally called 'Cyber Studio' and was a collection of simple props. I updated it 5 or 6 years later to include figures and lighting, then again last year with a complete rebuild and an Iray version. IMO, it's worth the effort to keep a product like this current because it just keeps on selling. Also, I hate having outdated products in the store. It gives a bad impression of my work.

I always post in the Updated Products thread when I do an update, but there's really no efficient way to let customers know. I think DIM might list update, but I don't use it, so I'm not sure. If you own it, the update is free, so in theory, it should appear in DIM.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,862

I can only speak for myself, but when I look at an older item, I check out the links where it is mentioned on the forum, or if not, I look on the gallery. I pay attention to good and bad comments. And when I see interaction between the PA and their customers, I know I am looking at a product that is a good to great investment. And for new products, I take into account a PA's history of support for previous products. maclean, you have an excellent reputation on the forum for support and for your products. I buy your products as I can, and just this week, two to five more dropped into my runtime. My thanks.