Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    This picture is a problem from me. The details from the trees are not good.

What specifically about the trees are you not happy with?
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The details on the trees are not good. It looks as if the image is too dark. I also have the impression that the colors are not correct.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    This picture is a problem from me. The details from the trees are not good.

It looks to me like you need to go into the tree editor and edit the materials for the trunk and the leaves.
    They have the distinct appearance of Ambient Glow.

To quickly check if that is the case, you could try setting the global ambient to fully black in the little colour bars under the sky and cloud settings.
    Global Ambient is the second one along under the Fog icon and setting it to black counteracts any ambient set in the material channels.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

At the moment, to me it looks like there is currently a cloud over the sun, because there is no bright sunlight and shadow pattern on the ground or trees anywhere in the scene. Is this the desired look? That's perfectly fine if it is, however if you intended for full sun, you might need to make whatever source you are using for sunlight much brighter, which might then dramatically change the appearance of the scene, and might change the way you view it or the kinds of adjustments you might decide to make on your trees.

For deciding on the tree colors, a helpful thing to do is to do a quick google image search for "pine forest" or "fir forest" or "trees" or something (keeping in mind your results could vary from bad quality photography to people photoshopping in differen colors anyway), or if you have a camera and similar trees, take a walk and a few shots and then compare them side-by-side with your render to see exactly what the differences are. Currently, based on the tree shape I would have guessed (and I could be guessing totally wrong) that they are conifers, which means the orange and yellow colors would indicate they are not too healthy (drought, pine beetles, etc.), and I think it looks exactly like that. If they were yellow only with no orange, then they might be tamarack trees in fall too though. However they could be some deciduous tree in fall colors too, it's just the overall shape (single perfectly vertical trunk, plus leafless bottom branches) makes me immediately think of conifers. And I often see things differently than others, so that may not be anybody else's first impression.

You could also experiment with the material for the bark and/or leaves in the material editor if you decide you were personally not happy with the colors.

edited December 1969

I have only had an additional light source. Now I have another inserted and the image becomes brighter, But the image looks now unreal (In the forest it is rather dark).

@TheSavage64

The tree editor is not so my case.

Wood3a.jpg
    750 x 500 - 370K
    edited December 1969

If you want it to be darker, you don't need to keep the extra light; it was just an idea to try out to see if you wanted it or not, and to see if you thought it would affect the colors.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: The first two images are neat but don't really light my candle. Now 3-5 do, and are very nice.

@Roland: Those first images are really neat, especially the colors used in the first one. You last image is nice with the tree line and foreground. The two things which strike me are the material for the lane and the sky color. Perhaps a lighter lane material and color for the sky. And instead of adding the additional light you could see if moving the sun around accomplishes the same thing. It's just something I would give a try.

@Tim Bateman: Personally, the amount of those type of plants is plenty. Too many more and they would become the focal point. I do see a few potted plants would add to the look. Or, as I told myself when I first saw that image, I'd stick a fork in it.

@Sandy: Oh, yeah, now you've really got a very nice scene. It looks a bit dark in the shadow for my tastes, but it's still a nice scene.

edited December 1969

I think now it looks better.

Wood3b.jpg
    750 x 500 - 301K
    edited December 1969

@Roland: That's a very interesting change. It looks neat.

edited December 1969

Thanks GussNemo.

Behind the camera i placed a red light and in the middle and at the end of the scene i placed a blue light. Then i changed the sky.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,122
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - it looks much better now. Perhaps use some fill light to brighten up the black shadows a bit. Or create an HDRI from the sky and use it without shadow casting and a low HDRI Effect would also be a possibility.

@Sean Riesch - Thank you. Yeah the nebula colours. I know what you mean. In a telescope they are still too faint to excite the cones and the rods are only monochrome. However, if you expose them long enough, some colour gets on the film or chip. That's the amateur way. Professionals use special filters to get the different wavelength, even invisible ones for the human eye, and then you can give them whatever colour you like. There are really weird things out there in space and what we see of them is even weirder. But since we've never been out there, who can tell how it really looks like?

@Roland4 - nice setup with the road flanked by trees. It looks as if there were a lot of ambiance that "kills" contrast and bump. You could try to remove ambiance, push up the sun light and add some sort of fill light. If there is no ambiance for the materials, try to reduce haze. The second image is brighter but it is still missing contrast. The third has definitely a better sky but I find the blue haze is not ideal. I miss the shadows. Can it be that you have Sun Shadow in the Light Lab not at 100%? If it is lower than 100%, all objects become partly transparent for light. All this is assuming you go for a natural looking scene.

edited December 1969

Hi Horo

The haze in the picture is not blue. I have placed one blue light at the end of the scene, one blue light in the middel of the scene and a red light behind the camera.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

a very proud moment for me, my girlfriend start using bryce s few days ago...within 3 hours of using it she was able to come up with this picture :)

10647554_1495782873997429_935844459_o.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 135K
    edited December 1969

An incredibly beautiful picture. Especially the colors I like.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen, I think nebula numbers 3 and 4 look the most realistic out of the bunch, very nice. Being into astronomy (at least back the days when staying up late wasn't a problem), I've always been a fan of of nebula photos, although it's always tricky to decide what colors are right since half the photos you see are artificially colored to enhance things, and you have to read up on them to determine if it has been or not, or decide if it even matters to you. Some photos are classics and you'll recognize them instantly from the colors, like the triffid nebula, horsehead nebula or the pleiades. Others like the orion nebula seem to be displayed in a zillion colors for no apparent reason, and I grit my teeth at half of those pictures, even though there is doubtless good reason to have the variations (for example, one can't see in non-visible wavelengths, but assigning them to visible colors allows you to study the relative intensity of those non-visible wavelengths). Not that I know what's correct even in visible light anyway, if you look at it in a personal telescope it's so dim it looks nearly black and white or maybe a tad greenish since the human eye isn't sensitive enough to pick up color in extreme low-light conditions.

Thanks yes, I've delegated poor Horo the task of picking through my somewhat random results for the most realistic. All I've done is faff around with the volume materials while looking at google images of Nebulas. The colours are sometimes rather vivid. And I don't know if they are right or not. Having a go at the space clouds has been a nice break for me since it's been a hectic few weeks, with many random jobs thrown in. Today was a 380 mile round trip to the other side of the country that I didn't know I was going to be making until last Sunday. That wasn't much fun. The next challenge for this will be assembling the effects into scenes, which I am looking forwards to. Although as space isn't really my area, so there will doubtless be more picking through work for Horo on top of that.

@Jamie, yes thanks, I think I agree with your choices. Having slept since, I think I like number 3 best. We'll see if they make the final cut. I shall have to show restraint now, otherwise I'm just making more work for Horo. As as he said, once you've started, an almost infinite number of variations follow. So think I'll have to include a tutorial to explain that aspect for those willing to tinker with the formula.

edited December 1969

A new attempt. I have all 3 additional light sources away and replaced by a cube fill light around the scene.

Wood4.jpg
    750 x 500 - 259K
    edited December 1969

I think that this is good enough.

Wood4a.jpg
    750 x 500 - 268K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

There is a reason for the dark shadows and where they are. Without them the illusion of the road going to the castle is lost because then you can see them running straight up the face of the mountain :bug: As you can see in this image. The horses and knights would need climbing gear to get there :-)

castle-rock-006.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 436K
    edited December 1969

@David- i really like the space scene's :) ...i agree with the other comments as well, the 3rd one is great! ...keep up the awesome work :)

edited December 1969

@Fishtales, if you want to keep the road on the near right part of the terrain but get rid of the part that goes up the hill, here is one way you might be able to do it, if you have sufficient remaining memory: Duplicate your terrain and modify it's material to not have the brown stripe, if you can do that. Lower it just a teeny-tiny bit below the original terrain so you can't see it. Now edit the original terrain that has the brown stripes to put a hole where the back hill was. The copy with no stripe is now sticking up where the hill is, and has no stripe on it, but you can still see the rest of the original terrain.

Ok, here's a drawing I started working on over a year ago and got all excited about until one day I looked at it and thought "OMG, little mermaid", and now I can't see it the same way any more. (Nothing wrong with the little mermaid, but that's definitely not what I was aiming for.) Help! I need ideas. I'm stuck, I've been stuck for a year and it's not getting any unstuck-er. No guarantees I'll take any suggestions and run with them, I might ignore everything that gets suggested and do something totally different, or just continue not working on it. However, I'd love a pile of suggestions to sort through and/or stimulate new ideas. While I'm thinking added new additional details so I can keep most of my work that I'm happy with while just avoiding making the viewer think of the little mermaid when looking at it, feel free to suggest totally crazy big changes too. And as always point out any errors, lighting issues, etc.

reefkeeper,_reduced.jpg
    1000 x 701 - 296K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

...sheer decadence...

Well I'm pleased you're still indulging your Bryce habit too, those nebulae are lovely. The first two probably count as science fiction types (nothing wrong with that) but the last three could easily be genuine space images. I particularly like number four for its subtlety. I also like the way the stars still shine through the brighter areas. It'll be intriguing to see how these integrate into scenes with other objects, perhaps requiring varied lighting.

Not sure if you intended the arrangement, but this part of the real sky, centred between Auriga and Perseus, does have a lot of nebulosity. Nothing quite on your grand scale but lots of variety for the astro imagers.
    http://news.sponli.com/en/tag/auriga/
    http://annesastronomynews.com/photo-gallery-ii/nebulae-clouds/the-california-nebula-ngc-1499/
    http://129.164.179.22/apod/ap131122.html

Horo is a bit behind the times - amateurs nowadays are using highly complex equipment and software, combining multiple exposures taken with narrow band filters. They're even doing science and making discoveries:
    http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/amateur-discovers-a-planetary-nebula/

edited December 1969

@Sean: That scene looks pretty good. I've not tried this type of scene, can't hold my breath that long, but ones I've seen most times have small air bubbles coming from places in the scene. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't offer other suggestions.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,122
    edited August 2014

@Sean Riesch - difficult to help then. Not that I have any suggestions. What you have this far seems to have great potential already.

@Peter - haha, well not entirely. I'm quite aware that some amateurs do have money to spend. We had 3 in our astronomy club that could afford CCD cameras with 192 x 165 pixels at $10,000. Not me, of course, but I got the image data.

I keep on Earth at the moment and experiment with terrains. IsleW-Pass. The pass on which we have our observatory is at 2000 m exactly, the pass shown is at a lesser altitude.

IsleW-Pass.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 183K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Currently my favorite motives.

Island2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 301K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    ...sheer decadence...

Well I'm pleased you're still indulging your Bryce habit too, those nebulae are lovely. The first two probably count as science fiction types (nothing wrong with that) but the last three could easily be genuine space images. I particularly like number four for its subtlety. I also like the way the stars still shine through the brighter areas. It'll be intriguing to see how these integrate into scenes with other objects, perhaps requiring varied lighting.

Not sure if you intended the arrangement, but this part of the real sky, centred between Auriga and Perseus, does have a lot of nebulosity. Nothing quite on your grand scale but lots of variety for the astro imagers.
    http://news.sponli.com/en/tag/auriga/
    http://annesastronomynews.com/photo-gallery-ii/nebulae-clouds/the-california-nebula-ngc-1499/
    http://129.164.179.22/apod/ap131122.html

Horo is a bit behind the times - amateurs nowadays are using highly complex equipment and software, combining multiple exposures taken with narrow band filters. They're even doing science and making discoveries:
    http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/amateur-discovers-a-planetary-nebula/

Thanks Peter, aye, well, I guess I'm easily amused. It took me two and a half hours to figure out how to make my own death star material just see if I could avoid modelling that dent.

There's so much variety in the astronomical images it gives me a lot of scope and it would be difficult to say - well that's wrong. Indeed some of the things I've seen look odd and are apparently real astronomical things.

Horo's making me feel lazy by putting out all these fantastic renders.

Roland4 - yes that certainly has something. Good scale, plausible light, nice material.

Death_star_mat1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 165K
    edited December 1969

@David-wow! what a great deathstar scene :) ...nice one mate :)

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2014

Ok, so I got this cryptex as a present, and, of course, puzzled by the code. Tried B-R-Y-C-E just on the off-chance, and...phew, it opened.

Read the message inside and...jeeesssh...it doesn’t look good. Let’s just say, it’s been good knowing all you Brycers ;)

Btw...anyone remember the code used in the film...ah, ah...no looking it up on the ‘net.

Jay
    Cryptex, inkwell modelled in Bryce
    PS. Spot the mistake

Cryptex-Bryce.jpg
    1474 x 866 - 1M
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,998
    edited August 2014

Fishtales- the last render is very nicely done. Thanks for sharing how you went about making the scene.

Horo – the terrain renders are stunning.

David – all your nebulae renders are awesome

Roland4 - nice renders, I like the 2nd one on page 74. The forest renders are nice and my fav is post no #1127

Tim Bateman – wow that’s one beautiful scene – yours I mean. I guess your girlfriend had a good teacher. After using Bryce for 3 months I could come up with anything so lovely.

Sean Riesch – wow, that’s a great scene. If you are having problems with the little mermaid, send her to me, I still don’t have an avatar. ;)

Jay – since you modeled the Cryptex, I’m sure you changed the code. :) Awesome modeling and render.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@David

A little bit blue light left from camera, a dark red light right from camera and a dark blue light behind left side of the island. All no shadows and no Falloff no specular and 5 diffuse.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Material on those terrains is wonderful. And you always seem to use/create a sky which works perfectly with the terrain material. That's a very nice image.

@Roland: That scene looks like a sunrise or sunset. It's a right nice scene.

@David: That's a thumbing good image. Nebula works well with the Death Star. So, where's Yoda?

@Jay: Marvelous models and accessories. Except for the ink blob on the paper, spotting the error is not in my pay scale. Really nice work.

This discussion has been closed.