Saved scenes

GotfryedGotfryed Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

When I first picked up Daz I was fascinated. Then as I learned how to use it I began building stuff. When finished I saved it as a scene so I could easily and quickly bring it up. It saved them as a .daz file.

I had bought a new external hard drive to save all of my work on so when my computer crashed I thought I was in business yet. But when I got my new computer I couldn't load up the old Daz program and had to go to Daz 4 and start all over again. Then I really felt hurt when I couldn't load in any of my .daz work, Daz 4 only recognizes .duf.

Does anyone know a way to get the .daz files to load into Daz 4?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio opens DAZ and DUF files. Have you tired to open them, and do you get errors?

The usual cause of this, is not saving the 'data' folder, which holds the geometry information for the DAZ file format. If you still have the data folder, you need to list the library location of that folder in DS Preferences so that DS can find it.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Gotfryed said:
    But when I got my new computer I couldn't load up the old Daz program and had to go to Daz 4 and start all over again.

What was wrong with the old D|S version? It might be fixable.

Note, though, that the old version will have the same problem as D|S4 — when you saved a scene (containing, presumably, mostly originally Poser-format figures and props) every single object in that scene was converted into native D|S files in the /data/ folder. The .daz scene file contains no objects and no textures, only parameter settings and pointers to those external files. Your old scene files need the old /data/ folder: if this can't be recovered from the crashed computer, the old scene files have no data to rebuild your scenes. But if you can get the old D|S version running, you can recreate the /data/ files and make your old scene files useable again.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Gotfryed said:
    But when I got my new computer I couldn't load up the old Daz program and had to go to Daz 4 and start all over again.

Note, though, that the old version will have the same problem as D|S4 — when you saved a scene (containing, presumably, mostly originally Poser-format figures and props) every single object in that scene was converted into native D|S files in the /data/ folder. The .daz scene file contains no objects and no textures, only parameter settings and pointers to those external files. Your old scene files need the old /data/ folder: if this can't be recovered from the crashed computer, the old scene files have no data to rebuild your scenes. But if you can get the old D|S version running, you can recreate the /data/ files and make your old scene files useable again.

And/or if you have the original geometry files, you may be able to build a new scene that contains the missing files and repopulate the /data folder that way...but with out named props to work with, it gets trickier.

Custom built items should NOT be saved as scenes/scenes subsets, only. Save them out, at least once, as an asset file of some kind (generally a Poser format file...it writes a separate geometry file in the Geometry folder, but a DAZ format asset will do...).

• GotfryedGotfryed Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Gotfryed said:

My old stuff that was on the hard drive is gone, it was the hard drive that crashed. I guess some of that information was on it and when I selected the .daz file it knew where to find it.

Well, if it's gone, it's gone. I guess I'll have to start over on that stuff. I was trying to find a lazy way to recover. Anyway, I'm getting better at it and Hexagon doesn't scare me any more so I'll probably get better stuff anyway. And this time I'll save everything on that external drive, even the .obj files I get from Hex.

Thanks for answering my questions.