Back up custom categories so they are 1000% super extra save

So I spent about a week reorganizing/categorizing my database and I really don't want to do that ever, ever again. So what exactly do I need to make sure to backup so I am SUPER save? I did research beforehand, but I want to be extra sure.

1. Database maintenance -> Export Database
  2. Backup of my libraries folders which include Data/Runtimes/People etc. 

Currently, I am constantly mirroring my Libraries folders to another drive and creating regular backups to an external drive. At some point in the future, I will also create an offsite backup. But that's another topic.

Anything else I need to back up so I am save when my HDD crashes/I get a virus or I migrate to a newer version of DAZ and my DB breaks? 

Comments

• You could always back up to the cloud.

• You could always back up to the cloud.

That's a good point for sure. But my main question is what exactly should I back up. The mentioned two things are enough?

• How do you normally install? DIM?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183

Custom categories will be in the User Data that gets exported. If you are backing up your library, then that should be enough. You would have to re-import the metadata to re-populate the database. Some users back up the CMS Data Cluster so as to not have to do that re-import, just replace the database. The path to it is found in Preferences -> CMS Settings.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,276

Test your User Data re-imports. I've just finished recreating my catagories for the second time in just over a year due to database corruption, importing my User Data didn't work because it had backed up a corruption. I've yet to test this latest export set but this is what I'm planning.

Make sure the CMS has stopped. Backup the ContentCluster folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms), remove the that folder. Starts the CMS again open Studio and reimport from your User Data (folder will recreate). And check everything is as it should be. If it isn't you can copy back the backed up folder, and rethink.

I reference this thread

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72890/database-maintence-reimport-metadata