First D|S Project/Render

WsCGWsCG Posts: 391

Hi all,

So, here's a final render for my first project-based scene in Daz. I'm working on a character, trying out different figures/hair/etc combos. This is the current iteration of them. Their name is Ayule (pronounced eye-yoo-LEE). This was a learning project for me - first full-body pose, interacting with an environment, some Photoshop post-work, etc. I wanted to work a pet wolf in there, but Wolf 2 wasn't cooperating (most definitely user error; I have to learn how to use it), so I decided to leave that part out for this project.

I'm sure there's a thousand things wrong with the lighting and composition, but they came out "acceptable enough" for me for this project. Downsampling the render didn't really get rid of the noise in the dark areas, so I probably have to increase the iterations more. I can work on improving lighting and all that as I go.

Anyhow.. Here ya are... Ayule stopping for a quick drink.

AyuleLake-Final.png
1920 x 1080 - 3M

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I love the image, it looks like it was made lots of care and eye for details. I personally don't think the noise is that noticeable on this retina screen, just like normal cameras a bit of noise isn't that distracting imo.

Is this part of a storyline?

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
    edited February 2020

Hi, paintbox,

Thanks for your comments! 

This shot itself isn't part of a story. But the character is intended to be. Started as the story for a game. Then I moved to telling it through 3D Animation. Finally I decided to go with a graphic novel format. Basically wanted to boil it down to the "simplest" and most straight-forward visual story-telling medium I could do, so I can focus more on the story part, less on the technical moving parts stuff.

I've been trying out different figures and combos to get what looks most like how I imagine them. This is pretty close. Might just use different hair, though. The one in this shot doesn't give me as much control as I'd like, especially with those side strands next to her face. I couldn't get those to hang in a more natural looking way.

As for attention to detail, I appreciate that, too! I was trying to make it look as authentic as I could with my limited knowledge and experience with the software, etc. I know DS is capable of quite a lot, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can coax out of images in the future.

Post edited by WsCG on
    edited February 2020
    TwoCats said:

Double Post

Apparently, I'm really bad at forum posting lol

Post edited by WsCG on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Cool!
    Looking forward to more renders! Some dforce hairs can be really nice if you need that bit of gravity realism.

edited February 2020

Thanks! 

I'm actually setting up the next scene now. Doing a quick test render as I type this. The wolf will feature prominently in this one, so I also have to learn how to use Wolf 2. 

Should be a fun scene.

Post edited by WsCG on
  • As a start.. I wish my images were so detailed, so precise and with such good lighting and composition.

Really good.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

That's an excellent beginning! 

edited February 2020

As a start.. I wish my images were so detailed, so precise and with such good lighting and composition.

Really good.

Thank you! The lighting is basically just a keylight (rectangle shape, 300x300) to help Ayule stand out more, and then the environment lighting doing the rest. I think I have the environment intensity down to .5.  Beyond that, it's just IRay doing its thing.

Lighting is the one thing I was really riding the struggle bus with. Do I do a full 3-point lighting setup with environment lighting, or do I just simulate the sunlight and let the environment lighting do the rest? Etc. My confidence on approaching that kind of setup is pretty low. I'll need to look into some lighting tutorials/training.

To be fair, that's not my very first "attempt" to set something up in DS. I've done a bit of "tinkering" to learn the posing system, the lighting basics, rendering, etc. That's just the first time I chose to apply it into an actual scene that tells a story. 

I'll attach an image of the last thing I did before I decided to do a full scene. It was just an exercise in learning to work with the posing tools and get an interesting looking shot.

Thanks again!

Ayule-C-4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WsCG on
    vrba79 said:

That's an excellent beginning! 

Thank you! My imagination's really kicked off thinking of ideas for future renders.

I think I can see why people call this an addiction heheh.