Dynamic clothing wont move on figure

How do I get Dynamic clothes to move against a figures skin? LIke a strap just starting to slide down a shoulder, or the like.  I'm trying to get that to work, but it just sticks like glue even with a morph that drags it out far enough that it should just fall straight down.

Everything I've tried involving weightmaps and the surface simulation settings has failed.

Thanks

Comments

• sajiky said:

How do I get Dynamic clothes to move against a figures skin? LIke a strap just starting to slide down a shoulder, or the like.  I'm trying to get that to work, but it just sticks like glue even with a morph that drags it out far enough that it should just fall straight down.

Everything I've tried involving weightmaps and the surface simulation settings has failed.

Thanks

Dynamic clothing is only moved via the Dynamic Clothing Panel. One runs a drape.

• sajikysajiky Posts: 28

Ok yeah I get that, Ive run a ton of simulations (clothing simulations are daz's coolest feature btw).  What I'm asking is what causes some parts of clothing to not run in the simulations. Dforce is present, for example the dress is has only one surface setting all the same from head to to.  But the skirt moves correctly against the legs when you run a simulation while the upper body part of the dress keeps the morph dforms unchanging. There is no movement of cloth against skin above the waist. As the figure is animated, the upper part of the dress acts like there is no simulation happening at all.

I just realized I used the wrong termin my original question. Don't think I've ever used Dynamic clothing actually. I got mixed up because there is a static and dynamic state in the simulation object type settings. I got no idea whate a drape even is, and it's the one part of daz I don't really care to learn cause dforce is to cool to use anything else. Simulated dforce stuff is quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever used a computer for, and my first computer was a commodore 64 in the 80s lol.

Thanks for the answer though, you answered the question I actually asked rather than the one I meant.  Get it right next time!

Huh, so I found an older save of the same test scene where it is working correctly. I must have dones something that screwed it up, no idea what. Still kinda think weightmap somehow maybe.

• Yes, if the model ispartially dynamic and doesn't have different surface settings it's probably a weight map - you can use Create>New dForce Modifier Weight Node to gain access to the maps (the one(s) that are applied will be listed in the Tool Settings pane with the weight node selected and the Node Weight Map Brush the active tool).

• sajiky said:
    ... edited ...

Thanks for the answer though, you answered the question I actually asked rather than the one I meant.  Get it right next time!

You're welcome and yes when you ask what you meant you are more likely to get the answer you want ;-)

DForce and Dynamic are two very separate plugin abilities for animating cloth. Sadly the dynamic plugin could not have clothing made for it without purchasing a very expensive program or something. So DForce has been a very welcome addition to Daz Studio :-)

Thanks guys.

So can you guys tell me what portion of a weightmap is keeping it from moving? Seems like no matter what I try things stay red and immobile.

OK so part of my problem was in not understanding in the slightest how "gravity" is calculated. Now I believe it has something to do with the figures hip angle placement. Figured that out when I tried running a simulation using an initialization period and it would start to simulate perfectly, then snap back. Half the cool I find in this simulation engine is in figuring it out heh.  Well maybe not half.

• Which clothing figure are you working with?

Pretty sure I was 100% wrong on my gravity theory (maybe even 110%, I dunno.You'd have to ask a professional athlete they're the experts on that).

Yeah just figured out I have an issue with the skirt as well, it just looked like it was simulating when the legs moved against it. I was trying to get an effect with the floor length skirt slid up the leg above the knee.  I set up my figure in the Mrs. Robinson pose from the "I think your trying to seduce me" scene in the graduate with her thigh horizontal knee bent 90 degrees foot on a chair. Then to get the skirt to drape over the thigh with her shin sticking out I flipped the character to a steep enough angle to get the skirt to slide upwards then animated her around till into the right pose to let the skirt drape over the thigh. 

It worked beautifully with an old save file of the same scene, so I had to have changed something (it's not in the simulation surface settings is the one thing I know for certain) that caused the problem.  I'd like to know what it is rather then just revert.

Aaand typing that out gave it to me I think. Pretty sure it's a morph I created in blender and added in to help with the attempt I was making to get the strap to slide down the arm.

Yup that was it, set morph to 0 and blamo no problem.

"So, what is wrong with my morph?" is the actual question I wanted to ask in my first post.  Man you guys suck at helping.  Learn to read minds or GTFO of trying to help with tech support stuff.

Oh the figure is a nightgown thingy btw. But it's not the creators fault, well except for idiot proofing maybe. Probably just didn't have a big enough idiot handy for testing.

I'm available next time.

edited February 2020

Ok as the record above likely shows, I was fairly stoned last night (Colorado rocks!). I had multiple issues, but the big one seemed to be the buckling ratio, it caused what I was simulating to spring back into almost it's original shape making me believe it wasn't simulating at all really.

Jokes aside, thanks fot the help guys. Sometimes all it takes is a sounding board to help.

Post edited by sajiky on