Can dforce cloth tighten around body parts and automatically generate tight folds and creases?

Can dforce cloth tighten around body parts and automatically generate tight folds and creases?

If so, can anyone point me to some dforce clothing capable of achieving the above result? Thanks.

Comments

• There is a parameter in the Surfaces pane for Conrtaction-Expansion Ratio - set it to less than 100% to shrink.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Folds and creases might be complicated though... maybe with some fiddling around with the density of the material. Like making it contract - see post above - but on the same time heavy enough so that it still sacks down a bit.

Never tried to achieve that effect though, so it's pure guessing

• DogzDogz Posts: 896

Generally with dforce: when the figured is zero'd - no creases, when its posed - you get creases. very difficult to control them really.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,869

It also very much depends on the polygons - you'd need a very high resolution mesh to get small folds like that.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I did an experiment.  It felt to me like making the clothes fit tighter would  just make them less likely to wrinkle up (that's just dforce for ya).  So I thought I'd start with tight pants and make them just a little larger (Contraction-Expansion of 102 or 103%) but I used a weight map to Alt-paint some small areas where I wanted the cloth to not expand, in the hope that as the sim progressed through the pose those areas would bunch up.

That actually worked a little but it seems pretty dependant on mesh resolution. First mesh I tested with a bit low poly and it just gave me some lumps.  The one I show below is higher res and it got ... better lumps but still not fine wrinkles.  But it's something you can experiment with at least.

First pic is the pants with default sim run. Smooth!  Second is my weight map.  Third is the result.

01 - sim with defaults.png
    529 x 415 - 134K
    02 - Weight Map.png
    659 x 558 - 229K
    03 Slight Wrinkles.png
    674 x 538 - 201K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

A lot of dForce stuff is extremely sensitive to mesh design and density. It seems like, in theory, it should work... if made just right.

I like the weight map idea, it's definitely promising.

• Hmmm ... I have some ideas to try ... hopefully tonight I can play with this. If something works I will let you know. In the meantime, I have tried enlarging / shrinking either the clothing or the character a little to adjust the fit with some success ... but I do not recall getting tight wrinkles, just loose folds.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

This is an interesting thread. I had bought a dforce fitted party dress from Nirvy at rendo and was amazed at the fit when I ran the simulation because it got tighter and had nice wrinkles, something I didn't expect and something I would like to see more of.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 968
    edited February 2020

Okay, I have been running some tests on the defoce BodyPop Pants and the results are:

A)  using a bump map to fake some wrinkled geomtry did not work

B) increasing the subdivision level made the folds look better, but did not make small wrinkles

C) opening up surfaces for the pants and adjusting the Structure sliders under simulation had some good effect. Mostly by greatly lowering bend and buckling stiffness, but playing with others as well.

D) I made a quick basic knee-length skirt in hexagon with low, medium, high, and very high polygons to do a simple simulation:

- low polygons (128) did not bend at all

- medium polygons ( 2048 ) produced large folds but did not look good

- high polygons ( 32,768 ) looked good and had some smallish folds / biggish wrinkles with tight fabric in some areas and loose wrinkles in others - this is close to what we are looking for

- very high polygons ( over 500,000 ) produced a system error. LOL

EDIT: I went back and combined my high poly skirt with the lower simulation slider settings and I got a few wrinkles that look good (not as many as in the OP sample image though).

EDIT: the BodyPop Pants did okay with folds and wrinkles, but not as good as my high poly skirt. I checked and it has 13,058 polygons covering waist to ankle - so a noticeable lower density than the skirt.

Post edited by 3141592654 on
  • Just wondering if changing the buckling stiffness to something very low would work, as a fabric wrinkle is like an engineer's buckle, so if the buckling load is lower it may provoke more wrinkles. Has anyone tried that? (Can't myself at the moment - at the wrong computer).

• I know VWD does it if you nail it all to the figure

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

You don't need to nail it to get shrinking.

Select what you want to shrink, and apply the scales (horizontal or vertical - or even do both). Too much, then scale the other way.