Scene Optimizer Import

Hey, guys, I have a question.
I use a laptop to design.
As soon as the scene is finished, I send it to a GPU workstation.
Since the graphics card is a gti 1080ti and the vram is limited, I bought scene optimizer https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer. On my laptop I can quickly adjust the size and reduce the required vram significantly.

NOW to my question, if you save the scene and load it again on my gpu workstation, it won't find the textures. How can I make sure that my gpu workstation finds them.
I save the folder with the reduced textures on the desktop. The folder is called runtime.
If I load the folder onto the desktop of my gpu workstation, it will still not recognize the textures when loading. Do any of you have an idea how i can import the reduced textures back into daz3d at the gpu workstation?

Unfortunately the conversion on the workstation directly into scene optimizer does not work, because the cpu power is very low and it takes a very long time...

Comments

• Hey, guys, I have a question.
    I use a laptop to design.
    As soon as the scene is finished, I send it to a GPU workstation.
    Since the graphics card is a gti 1080ti and the vram is limited, I bought scene optimizer https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer. On my laptop I can quickly adjust the size and reduce the required vram significantly.

NOW to my question, if you save the scene and load it again on my gpu workstation, it won't find the textures. How can I make sure that my gpu workstation finds them.
    I save the folder with the reduced textures on the desktop. The folder is called runtime.
    If I load the folder onto the desktop of my gpu workstation, it will still not recognize the textures when loading. Do any of you have an idea how i can import the reduced textures back into daz3d at the gpu workstation?

Unfortunately the conversion on the workstation directly into scene optimizer does not work, because the cpu power is very low and it takes a very long time...

Does the path for the folder on the desktop exactly match the path for the folder on the laptop? Also try naming it something besides runtime, which is used already by DS.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,060

Saving the reduced textures on your desktop is not a good idea, you should save them in a folder which is registered as a DS content directory so that the scene file is saved with a relative path to the textures, not an absolute path.

Here the full path to the folder is most probably not exactly the same on both machines, so it fails even if you copy the folder to the desktop of the second machine.

• info_1acf2042info_1acf2042 Posts: 18
    edited February 2020

thank you for your replies.

i've been checking on it. I can either save the textures with
    a)/Users/schoppi/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    b)/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library

https://ibb.co/CBsk8rH

https://ibb.co/2Y6ZPM1

the operating system on the laptop is iOS Mac
    The operating system on the GPU workstation is Windows.

I can't find the folder under b on the mac at all. 
    on a it seems that it simply creates the textures under the general runtime folder, so I have to look for it.
    what would you do?

Post edited by info_1acf2042 on
  • ok, i made some progress. scene optimizer only saves unknown textures in my library. if i copy the folders, the textures work. But the textures of the figures that are already stored somewhere don't work because scene optimizer simply copies them into the original data. what should i do now? i have to find the folder of the original data on my mac. and then the extra textures. does anyone know where to find them?

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited February 2020

Just for a small note...

If you use any custom textures that are NOT in your "My Daz3D Library", it will save a local path to the destination file, instead of a relative one. Even if the file is in the same location as the actual project you are working on. EG, it will include your specific file-path, entirely. "C:\myfolder\myfile.jpg" (These files will NOT work, unless you create that exact folder/file path on the other computer.)

This may also apply to the "Scene Optimizer", which may be recording the file locations as absolute paths to YOUR "user_name", folder contents, which the shared computer will NOT have access to, even if you gave it explicit permission. I am about 99% sure that there is a programed hard-limit to accessing another persons personal files, even when the shared option is on.

On windows, Daz, and some external programs, like to use specific "user" folders, or generic "all-user" folders, for some content, even if you tell it to NOT use them.

You could try to setup everything to output ONLY on the shared folders. But that may not be an option for some things. You could also just send the project un-optomized, and re-optomize it on your other computer, when you open it there. Instead of beating your head trying to find the specific output files it has created for the other computer.

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • For any scene to render every piece of the render, that is every prop, figure, garment, texture etc. etc. has to be in the exact same relative location as it was when the scene was created. 

Your 2 machines must have all the Daz assets installed in the same relative place /My Daz 3D Library/ for instance, or your scenes will not render.