BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Spring Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ☼♪♫♪☼ SPRINGTIME ☼♪♫♪☼

Comments

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Okay so this is my third entry and I wanted to do something out of my 'norm'.

Title: Spring Bouquet.

All I used was some default glass shaders and a primitive spring shape that was included with Bryce. The only item purchased that is in the scene is the flowers which is one group I made in Daz then imported in Bryce and I used the instancing lab to randomly rotate them and the springs.

This is the only render because I thought the first render came out good.

Spring_Bouquet.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

@abdc Love that image.
    @Hansmar, Horo, GussNemo, - thank you for all your kind words.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

My third entry and this one is a work in progress... I may brush up on some of the materials that came with DAZ's Dragonfly because they don't really stand up to close examination... Though I must say the wings are excellent and what more can you expect for only $3.98 (at the moment).

Title: Here be Dragonflies
    Products: DAZ's Dragonfly and Horo's Jungle and Trees HDRI

Render settings: Premium, TA (265RPP), Soft Shadows, DoF, Scattering correction, Boost Light.
    Render time: Just over one hour.

DragonFly2.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 392K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756
    edited December 1969

@adbc: Always clever to work on a copy! I think this one looks better, perspectivewise. The things in the distance don't look so close anymore. Well done!
    @fictionalromance: No problem. And more nice words: your last entry is very nice. I like the scene and the colour combination!
    @TheSavage64: Outstanding! Only issue is that I would expect the dragonfly right under in the screne to be not so light. It distracts a bit. Perhaps try to make that one darker?

edited December 1969

Cheers Hansmar.
    I've been working on the materials and have now mostly completely ditched or drastically modified all the mats within Bryce.
    This still may not be the finished entry, because I'm still playing and experimenting with it and I'm also looking at the other type of Dragonfly that came in the same download. :-)

DragonFly3.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 406K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Cheers Hansmar.
    I've been working on the materials and have now mostly completely ditched or drastically modified all the mats within Bryce.
    This still may not be the finished entry, because I'm still playing and experimenting with it and I'm also looking at the other type of Dragonfly that came in the same download. :-)

Is that Noggins dragonfly?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Cheers Hansmar.

Is that Noggins dragonfly?

It is yes. :-)

http://www.daz3d.com/noggin-s-dragonfly

edited December 1969

Cheers Hansmar.

Very great wings on this one! And I like the body colour too. Now, to be picky (sorry), the head of the dragonfly is washed out a little. Maybe less specular? The fly in the background looks much more realistic to me now.
    Last request: could you bring back a little more light in the background (e.g. little less thick part of the jungle as background). I really liked the earlier background a lot!
    Anyway, You make a wonderful scene!
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,096
    edited December 1969

@fictionalromance : thanks for your comment. Your 3rd entry is great, like the colors !
    @The Savage64 : awesome dragonfly.
    Like hansmar I prefer the 1st background.
    @hansmar : thanks for your help !

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@fictionalromance - Spring Bouquet looks very nice.

@Dave - The dragonflie looks great. Below the real thing, photographed in the same environment.

Libelle.jpg
    800 x 530 - 70K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@fictionairomance: Latest scene is very pretty, not to mention colorful. Nice idea.

@Dave: Foreground dragonfly is stunning. I can imagine the background ones are in bright sunlight, right?

@Horo: Did you take that very nice photo?

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Did you take that very nice photo?

Yup, I was lucky because it rested. I'm so clumsy with the camera, the beasts are usually away once I'm ready. We have these and green-brown ones, which are a bit smaller.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Great shot, Horo, of the Northern Damselfly. I find some drags' are very nervous, but others will even land on your hand/finger...etc., if you stay quite still. Have seen this fellow once, and it's only when you're close up that you see how delicate their wings are. Amazing!

Jay

edited December 1969

It's a great photo Horo. :)

I've been reworking this for the past few days and now have 9 different versions of it.
    I've changed the make to the thinner tailed one and made a custom UV map for it so it more matches the one in Horo's photo.
    Also got rid of the other two background ones and added some greener foreground vegetation.

I also worked more in the wing material and made them even more delicate.

I'm thinking this will be the final one... But thanks for the comments and suggestions.

DragonFly7.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 691K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64: great perseverance to make 9 versions! Really love the background in this one. But, now the colour of the body of the drag looks a bit out of place (a bit plastic). If you would consider version 10: try to brings some variation in the blue parts (e.g. with some darker green), without making it spotty.
    Ain't I horrible, with all these wishes and not making any render of my own http://www.daz3d.com/forums/smileys/#

edited December 1969

Not really an entry, but playing around with glass again - it's a Spring Dome ;)

Jay

springdome.jpg
    880 x 880 - 572K
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Latest dragonfly scene is super. I think focusing on the one dragonfly centers the viewers' attention better. Plus, the wings have a slightly iridescent look to them. I personally would stick a fork in this version. Only 9 iterations? ;-)

@Jay: So, when do we get the video tutorial for this snow globe? Beautiful work. The glass I can figure out, shrink a terrain, create a base, an HDRI(?), but the falling snow eludes me.

edited December 1969

Cheers, Guss. Yeah, glass and Bryce...ya just can't do wrong by it. As to the snow, that was the easy part as the Mat (below) was just applied to a sphere placed within the dome.

Had thought of an animation-to-go (picture the globe being picked up by a hand, shakened, and a Spring scene miraculously appears within the dome, while the sig., changes from 'Shake for Summer'). But, the HDRI - way too long rendering out for just a 30 second animation.

Jay

mats.jpg
    604 x 301 - 161K
    edited December 1969

@Dave - great job on the dragonfly. It looks as if the legs on its right side pierce the wings.

@Jay - yeah, a true Spring Dome. That's the weather we had 4 days ago. Huge snowflakes for several hours.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

@Horo Spring Evoking... Wow love the form....Striking! and Spring Machine is so multidimensional...pulls me in to see what is within...
    and I really wanted to tell you how wonderful and easy you made choppy ocean waves with the use of a terrain in the last render contest...

@Jamahoney... Life Will Find A Way... It is so true... and a wonderful visual.. Make A Wish... What a wonderful Dandelion... It is such a wonderful representation of that weed that will be the next wave of weeds that I will be mowing down in a few weeks.. Phew! And While You Were Sleeping... I really enjoy the way you think.

So many great images in this challenge... and so much tutorial information from all the great Bryce artists out there... Thank you all so much.

edited April 2014

mtnmen...cheers, much appreciated.

Some days I wish someone would create a weed-eating slug, as currently the little buggers are ignoring my weeds and eating my spring onion sprouts. I don't want to use slug repellant tablets as they turn the slugs inside-out (disgusting), so every night I'm out with the flashlamp plucking them off.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    mtnmen...cheers, much appreciated.

Some days I wish someone would create a weed-eating slug, as currently the little buggers are ignoring my weeds and eating my spring onion sprouts. I don't want to use slug repellant tablets as they turn the slugs inside-out (disgusting), so every night I'm out with the flashlamp plucking them off.

Jay

You could use nematodes to decimate your slug population. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=slug+nematodes

and if you don't mind working a bit at it, you can make them even more useful
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningequipment/8675592/The-war-on-slugs-starts-at-home.html

edited April 2014

Thanks, Chohole...yeah, the 'drowning' option (article bit), however, I don't ever want to go down that route as they, the bloody slugs, are doing what comes naturally, so if I can rid them without otherwise.

I have, however, set up some traps - an old wooden, rotten plank lying alongside the rills of onion sprouts (this applies to other sprouting vegs, too). They harbour there underneath afternight, which allows me to pick/allocate them to others areas where they won't do harm. And that's just the slugs, now mention 'rabbits', well that's a whole new area :)

Chemical and artificial fertilisers are a no-no for me, so I try to use natural remedies - harking back to old folklore stuff, which sometimes to never really work as a definitive deterrent. Eventually, I will have to give in, and use modern methods, however, the [war] continues on ;).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Thanks for the explanation for making that snow. Haven't seen slugs in years, not that we get them here. But the beetles we get are enough to drive anyone up the walls.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Spring time?

So... SPRING TIME!!!

Here's my entry to the bryce rendering challenge. Vicky is up for some other trip in her beetle because everything is blossoming again.

This is another L.A.A picture (about 3,3 GB) and I've use xfrog trees to populate the scene. Mountain house modeled in wings3D.

36 rays/pixs T.A with boost light and 6 rays depth to provide the best sss lighting in trees foliage.

23 days of intensive processor computation on two i7 eight cores machines at native resolution (6 millions pixels).

Hope you like it and good luck to everyone!

Spring_Time2.jpg
    1430 x 2000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

That's gorgoeus, C-ram...especially in the larger view. This place, would it be at all for rent...could do with some chill-time right now ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

@mtnmen - thank you. You're too kind.

@Marco - photo real, it feels really like in the Alps. 23 days is quite a bit of time. I usually loose patience if a render (on the i7) exceeds a week. But of course, your render was worth every minute of it.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

C-Ram,

Ah...um...wow. Serious WOWOWOWOW. I knew you were going to come up with something incredible for this Spring themed challenge. Your entry is every bit as awesome as I would have expected it to be. The look is quite professional, as good as any Vue render. Dedication is the key word, because 23 days is an incredibly long render time, but as Horo observes the results are unmatched. I love the level of complexity, the billions of grass blades and billions of leaves on trees, all makes the image look realistic. Lighting is very nice, perfectly natural looking. Wow, TA really has come a long way and the skill you have at manipulating the TA is noteworthy. I suspect Slepalex will also produce something incredible but that remains to be seen. I fully expected to throw in an entry of my own but I haven't had the time and knowing the level of competition, a slacker submission simply wouldn't do. Your work is so inspiring however, I may indeed be forced to submit something by the 30th

You mentioned maximizing the SSS. I'm not sure if that is what is actually happening here. If I am not mistaken, the leaves on most X-frog trees require Blend Transparency to cut out the shape of the leaves. This means that typical translucency (sss) will not work because the transparency channel is already occupied for cutting out the shape of the leaves. In blend transparency mode leaves will allow light to pass through, but the leaves will not "glow" from the passing light in the way that they would with translucency. I would also assume that most of the exceedingly long render time is because of the trans mapping of the leaves. If these trees could have used real geometry for leaves I suspect the rendering would have been completed in a matter of days, but there would be a greater cost in polygons. Fear of the dreaded long render times of complex scenes with transmapped leaves forces me to construct almost all of my own plants from scratch where I can be certain the leaves are based on geometry. X-Frog trees rock no doubt, but they are slow to render.

Splendid, bravo, amazing, accolades until the end. Way to go, C-Ram!!!!!!!!! This is the sort of Bryce illustration that needs to be publicized.

edited December 1969

@c-ram: That's a very beautiful scene. I had to look closely to notice the not too photo quality of some rocks.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Beautiful work from everyone.

Jay – love the spring dome, now that is something I can try. Thanks for the additional explanation.

C-ram –Wow, absolutely beautiful, really stunning work.

I managed to complete my 3rd entry before the deadline. The tortoise and bunny are from archive3d, the flowers from toucan.com the rest Bryce presets.

Hurry it’s Spring!

springchallenge3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 82K