Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

I think, of all the products in the land that required fur, this just had to be one of them! The textured one does look lovely, mind you, but it's the fur balls that let it down!

reality_scene2.png
    1600 x 900 - 585K
    reality_scene.png
    1600 x 900 - 716K
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2012

well after waiting for LAMH to calculate the hi res geografted figure and tring to export to renderman curves it crashed. Anad has crashed every time I've loaded since then. I even lowered the the hairs quite a bit. So my suggestion is NOT to use hi res at this point. set character to base and then go into the plugin.

When it says "lAMH looks better at base resolution" take that seriously :)

EDIT: Also working at base resolution it only has like 24k hairs, versus something like 89k hairs in hi res when working with catgirl. So its going to calculate much faster.

EDIT2: file sizes for saves are also a lot smaller, so instead of a 130mb file it turns out to be about 30 mb.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

well after waiting for LAMH to calculate the hi res geografted figure and tring to export to renderman curves it crashed. Anad has crashed every time I've loaded since then. I even lowered the the hairs quite a bit. So my suggestion is NOT to use hi res at this point. set character to base and then go into the plugin.

Yes. Until I have the feature complete, using a High-Res figure is "At Your Own Risk." It works in many cases, and in some others, not so much. Also, all but the most capable machines will want to avoid the High-Res figures.

With that being said, High-Res isn't necessary for fantastic results.

May I ask which character you need High-Res for?

Kendall

edited December 2012

Yes. Until I have the feature complete, using a High-Res figure is "At Your Own Risk." It works in many cases, and in some others, not so much. Also, all but the most capable machines will want to avoid the High-Res figures.

Kendall

Catgirl for genesis, she's going to be overkill for most machines but that's the point. A fully furred humanoid. A good test.

I am currently tinkering with her at base resolution.

edited December 1969

Kendall

Catgirl for genesis, she's going to be overkill for most machines but that's the point. A fully furred humanoid. A good test.

Quite.

I want to add that one of our testing environments is an XP/32 on a dual-core with 2G of RAM. LAMH, in base res, is perfectly usable in that environment.

Kendall

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

But once your done in the plugin and exported it out into DAZ Studio you can then put the figure back up to High Rez?

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    But once your done in the plugin and exported it out into DAZ Studio you can then put the figure back up to High Rez?

There should be no problem turning up the res or subdivision on a figure after the hair/fur is exported.

Kendall

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

When I load Genesis in LAMH it automatically change the mesh to low res. I don't need the high res to shape the hair, so I'm fine with that. When I'm done and import the hair to DAZ Studio, I just restore the resolution of Genesis to high.

edited December 2012

For me a test proves whether I can use the software or not. I wouldn't throw catgirl in there if I never intended to use her. So if I can add fur to catgirl it's a test on the viability of the software. You can bold things for emphasis all ya like, but don't get it twisted...

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    When I load Genesis in LAMH it automatically change the mesh to low res. I don't need the high res to shape the hair, so I'm fine with that. When I'm done and import the hair to DAZ Studio, I just restore the resolution of Genesis to high.

It doesn't seem to do that if you have geo-grafted bits though. It brings it into the plugin as hi res, which I don't suggest if you have a med-low machine like mine.

edited December 1969

For me a test proves whether I can use the software or not. I wouldn't throw catgirl in there if I never intended to use her. So if I can add fur to catgirl it's a test on the viability of the software. You can bold things for emphasis all ya like, but don't get it twisted...

Didn't intend to twist. The warning is in the manual for a reason, just as the decision to work with the base res was made for a reason. I was emphasizing that it was a good test, nothing more.

Adding the ability to turn on working in Hi-Res mode is a priority, and I'm working on making it workable on an "average machine" even as I type here. Alex and I are well aware that few have the kinds of systems capable of working in hi-res mode with this type of data. We felt it would be bad to release a feature that required the highest performance equipment. Too many would try to run in that mode on under-powered machines and run out of resources.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

It doesn't seem to do that if you have geo-grafted bits though. It brings it into the plugin as hi res, which I don't suggest if you have a med-low machine like mine.

There are certain conditions that Studio enforces on us. Geografting is an interesting feature, one that breaks any number of rules. It does indeed allow one to bypass the automatic drop to base res that otherwise would happen when importing a figure into LAMH.

Kendall

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Sorry if it was explained somewhere
    I have a problem with the plugin. I installed it into the DS 4.5 Pro folder and went through all loops to get activation code, and activated it from http://www.gm-studio.net site. The tab in DS says "Restart it" and prompts to close it, but when I open it again, the activation info is not saved so I can't do anything and Hair Salon tab isn't active at all.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

I haven't downloaded it yet but I'm pretty happy you don't need a high-end machine to run it. I was a bit worried about that...

Has anyone tried hairstyles yet? Basic ponytails? Pigtails? etc?

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2012

Hellboy said:

Oh yes, I was referring to RAMWolff.

Post edited by Soto on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I have a problem with the plugin. I installed it into the DS 4.5 Pro folder and went through all loops to get activation code, and activated it from http://www.gm-studio.net site. The tab in DS says "Restart it" and prompts to close it, but when I open it again, the activation info is not saved so I can't do anything and Hair Salon tab isn't active at all.

Try closing DS and starting it again. Then open LAMH.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    I haven't downloaded it yet but I'm pretty happy you don't need a high-end machine to run it. I was a bit worried about that...

When using the default renderman curves you can throw A LOT of hair at it and render on a modest machine. Granted I'm 64bit, but my i5 doens't tend to be considered hi end anywhere. I was able to render a catgirl with renderman curves with over a million hair pieces (folicles) with no issue. Granted my skills still lack with this tool so more of tech practice, but it can run those hair styles well.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Kendall
    Did it, doesn't help, still doesn't remember it and prompts me to do all that again.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:

When using the default renderman curves you can throw A LOT of hair at it and render on a modest machine. Granted I'm 64bit, but my i5 doens't tend to be considered hi end anywhere. I was able to render a catgirl with renderman curves with over a million hair pieces (folicles) with no issue. Granted my skills still lack with this tool so more of tech practice, but it can run those hair styles well.

Sweet!! I'm on a 64bit i5 machine too. It goes pretty damn well but isn't a graphics powerhouse. (one day though...*rubs hands togther* one day...when I'm rich....) Cool! Thankyou :)

edited December 1969

We're able to get great results from a Turion/X2 laptop running at 2.1GHz, with 1.75G of effective RAM after the shared memory is removed by the Graphics chip.

Kendall

edited December 2012

And I do want to make something clear, while I may be saying I am having some issues pushing the limits...this plugin is the best of the three hair tools I have used recently. (I think I said that)

A tool that cost about 50x more can't handle the millennium dog without issues. LAMH can.

A tool that has a few more bells and whistles can't handle a lot of the older daz animals, so far so good with LAMH.

So I think LAMH is the best solution available to us DS lovers, so my comments come because I see the greatness of what it is. I'm a critical person so don't receive my post the wrong way. While I may want to use LAMH differently than the core audience I still think its the best choice for 95% of folks out there.

I'm just pushing it because my needs differ a bit. I was able to get a pretty cool full body catgirl pretty quickly using the renderman curves. Just be sure to switch to base resolution prior to loading the plugin. EDIT (if you are using geografted bits)

edited December 1969

And I do want to make something clear, while I may be saying I am having some issues pushing the limits...this plugin is the best of the three hair tools I have used recently. (I think I said that)

A tool that cost about 50x more can't handle the millennium dog without issues. LAMH can.

A tool that has a few more bells and whistles can't handle a lot of the older daz animals, so far so good with LAMH.

So I think LAMH is the best solution available to us DS lovers, so my comments come because I see the greatness of what it is. I'm a critical person so don't receive my post the wrong way. While I may want to use LAMH differently than the core audience I still think its the best choice for 95% of folks out there.

I'm just pushing it because my needs differ a bit. I was able to get a pretty cool full body catgirl pretty quickly using the renderman curves. Just be sure to switch to base resolution prior to loading the plugin.

I love people like you. Seriously. A person after my own heart. :-) I REALLY want to open up the gates on some of the things that are in LAMH, but I have to bow to the constraints of the market. :-( People don't like buying a program and hearing that their systems can't use all of the features listed. I'm working to bring some REALLY REALLY cool features to LAMH, but I have to make them usable for everyone.

We'll be looking for additional reliable testers that can push the limits for the next round of testing. Maybe you should apply. :-)

Kendall

edited December 2012

To clarify: after I input all codes (including activation code from the site registration) it gives me a small window named "Error" which has a following text: "Authorization code saved: Look at My Hair will now close. Restart it and have fun." with the only option to hit "Ok"
    After I hit OK it asks me with a little window called "Warning": "quit Look at my hair?" with "Yes" and "Cancel". If I hit "Yes" it quits but when I use "New Look at My Hair" thing it asks me to serial numbers and activation codes and all that stuff again, and when I cancel it doesn't do anything, just sits here.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Kattey said:

Kendall

Did it, doesn't help, still doesn't remember it and prompts me to do all that again.

PM me so that I can help you.

Kendall

edited December 2012

Sure, and I've added some details in a post above.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • RXRX Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I'm rather saddened right now. I downloaded the product, rather excited to use it, installed it, and...failure.

Any time I press "New 'Look at My Hair' Object", it briefly attempts to load before stating that DAZ Studio has had a "fatal error" and crashed.

Is there any way to fix this? Do I need to redownload and reinstall?

edited December 1969

RappyW said:
    I'm rather saddened right now. I downloaded the product, rather excited to use it, installed it, and...failure.

Any time I press "New 'Look at My Hair' Object", it briefly attempts to load before stating that DAZ Studio has had a "fatal error" and crashed.

Is there any way to fix this? Do I need to redownload and reinstall?

What are your system particulars?

Kendall

• RXRX Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I have a Windows 7 64 bit system with 4G RAM. It seems like it would meet the qualifications, but my apologies if this is all in error.

edited December 1969

RappyW said:
    I have a Windows 7 64 bit system with 4G RAM. It seems like it would meet the qualifications, but my apologies if this is all in error.

Please PM me so that we don't clog up the forum.

Kendall

• omradiocomomradiocom Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

I have my daz3d serial for this plugin....the plugin is giving me another...and I have no idea where the installation code is thought I'm being asked to give that to get an activation key.

I try to bend with the times, but this is a bit much to get the plugin going...

Clues?

This discussion has been closed.