Laguna mermaid for Genesis 8

2»

Comments

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    Gordig said:
    GiGi_7 said:

Does this work with G2-to-G8?

Probably not, because G2 and G3/8 have very different meshes. I tried fitting Reptilian 6 tail to G8, and the polygons just didn't line up at all.

It does however work with the tail from the new reptilian character from Oso. I used to to move the G8M tail to G8F.

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    Gordig said:

Did my first render with the G8 Laguna tail, and I'm noticing a seam between the actual figure torso material and the tail's torso material. I haven't tested yet to see if I just need to move the graft polys lower, or if there's something about the way I applied the torso material to the tail.

did you fully disable smoothing and subdivision on both the character and the tail?

• tombraider4evertombraider4ever Posts: 659
    edited July 2021

Silas3D said:

You can totally do it, here's how:

1. Add the mermaid tail and G8F to your scene.
    2. Set both to base resolution.
    3. Select the tail (not the geoshell) and disable smoothing, then right-click the scene tab and navigate to `Edit` > `Scene Identification...`
    4. Change `Preferred Base` to G8F and accept. This is better than using transfer utility as will retain the bones/weightmaps of the tail.
    5. Select G8F and switch to geometry editor tool, also switch to wire shaded display mode
    6. If you look at G8F's back, you'll see most of the polys are square but a couple either-side of her lower back are more triangular. You need to select all of her lower body geometry up to the lower edge of these
    7. Once selected, right-click in the viewport and got to `Geometry Assignment` > `Set Auto-Hide Faces for Attachment...` and select the tail.
    8. Deselect all geometry, then select the top-most ring you had selected before, ie. the ring of polys that is the intersection between G8F and the tail.
    9. Right-click in the viewport and got to `Geometry Assignment` > `Set Graft Faces for Attachment...` and select the tail again.
    10. Switch out of the geometry editor tool and fit the tail to G8F - you should see the legs disappear.
    11. Finally select the tail geoshell, parent it to G8F and check that the `Shell Node` is set to G8F, which will then also cover the tail like the G3F version.

At this point you can select G8F and add a default h.material preset from the G3F material options, before saving the tail as a wearable preset to a folder of your choice. Here's my version on BlueJaunte's Amira:

I followed these instructions to the letter and I get an insvisible tail, all opacity set to 0 by default, I try chose the materials but they don't work, I just got a pain white tail no matter what I try. I would appreaciate some help with thissmiley, I tried following the instructions to the letter, as close as I can, tried two-three times but the same result. I would love to be able to use this tail with G8 femalesmiley.

Edit: I tried setting the materils by hand, but the problem is that I have no clue about which map goes where, and what settings/strength they should have, so if someone can tell me which map goes where I would really appreciate it heart.

Edit2: if someone can point me to a possible place I could have done the wrong thing I would appreaciate it, but for now I'm giving this up, it's not working as it should as simple as that. I hope that the recent release of the merman means that a new G8 female mermaid w possibilities of using your own character morphs and textures, well blended is comming. Or a addon to make the Laguna tail set to work w G8. I have troubble getting this to work correctly for G3 femals also so I'm hoping for a new set as beautiful, easier to use.

Post edited by tombraider4ever on
  • markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 522

tombraider4ever said:

Silas3D said:

You can totally do it, here's how:

1. Add the mermaid tail and G8F to your scene.
    2. Set both to base resolution.
    3. Select the tail (not the geoshell) and disable smoothing, then right-click the scene tab and navigate to `Edit` > `Scene Identification...`
    4. Change `Preferred Base` to G8F and accept. This is better than using transfer utility as will retain the bones/weightmaps of the tail.
    5. Select G8F and switch to geometry editor tool, also switch to wire shaded display mode
    6. If you look at G8F's back, you'll see most of the polys are square but a couple either-side of her lower back are more triangular. You need to select all of her lower body geometry up to the lower edge of these
    7. Once selected, right-click in the viewport and got to `Geometry Assignment` > `Set Auto-Hide Faces for Attachment...` and select the tail.
    8. Deselect all geometry, then select the top-most ring you had selected before, ie. the ring of polys that is the intersection between G8F and the tail.
    9. Right-click in the viewport and got to `Geometry Assignment` > `Set Graft Faces for Attachment...` and select the tail again.
    10. Switch out of the geometry editor tool and fit the tail to G8F - you should see the legs disappear.
    11. Finally select the tail geoshell, parent it to G8F and check that the `Shell Node` is set to G8F, which will then also cover the tail like the G3F version.

At this point you can select G8F and add a default h.material preset from the G3F material options, before saving the tail as a wearable preset to a folder of your choice. Here's my version on BlueJaunte's Amira:

I followed these instructions to the letter and I get an insvisible tail, all opacity set to 0 by default, I try chose the materials but they don't work, I just got a pain white tail no matter what I try. I would appreaciate some help with thissmiley, I tried following the instructions to the letter, as close as I can, tried two-three times but the same result. I would love to be able to use this tail with G8 femalesmiley.

Edit: I tried setting the materils by hand, but the problem is that I have no clue about which map goes where, and what settings/strength they should have, so if someone can tell me which map goes where I would really appreciate it heart.

Edit2: if someone can point me to a possible place I could have done the wrong thing I would appreaciate it, but for now I'm giving this up, it's not working as it should as simple as that. I hope that the recent release of the merman means that a new G8 female mermaid w possibilities of using your own character morphs and textures, well blended is comming. Or a addon to make the Laguna tail set to work w G8. I have troubble getting this to work correctly for G3 femals also so I'm hoping for a new set as beautiful, easier to use.

I also followed the instuctions and it worked for me!

At the moment I don't have time to go into a more detailed description but I´ll try to do it tomorrow.

Did at least the legs dissapear?

• Thank you so much in advance for taking the time and helping me with this! smileyheart Yep, everyting worked all the way up to that the textures don't work, all the textures are invisible by default for the tail, I make them visible and they are just white, no textures. I try loading the texture as it says and no change. I tried w placing the textures manually but have no idea beyond the diffuse and normal map where they should go. I manages to get those two textures right, but I get no blending of the skin on the geoshell, no blending at all. It just looks horrible. And I get errors when using this on G3 female also, the iray preview won't start working at all, it's just loads forever, but not iray preview. I move the camera or someth and get quick view of the iray preview but then it's gone at once. Extremly weird. No idea what I could possibly have done wrong. So I can't use this tail at all. I have made renders with it before but don't remember how I solved the iray preview bug then. I really love this tail, the ability to use any human textures, and the beautiful blending of the skin and fish scalesheart, so I hope this can be fixed somehow heart.

edited July 2021

I have some more time today unexpectedly smiley So I tinkered some more. One thing that seems crucial is point 11.

This is how my scene looks:

Now select the Mermaid Tail GeoShell node and check the Parameters tab:

Shell Node should read Genesis 8 Female or maybe something else for a different charachter than the Base but make sure it is not None!

Now make sure you are no longer in the Geometry Editor tool. Select the Universal Tool.

Select Genesis 8 and apply a hierarchical material preset. The materials should be set to the Geo Shell not the tail. At least this is what happens at my scene. The four materials of the tail itself:

01 Tail Main

02 Tail Torso

03 Fins Front

04 Fins Back

are not used at all. The opacity is still set to 0!

I seems the material should only be applied to the Geo Shell!

LagunaMermaid_G8F_Step11.png
    812 x 182 - 31K
    LagunaMermaid_G8F_Step11ShellNode.png
    863 x 303 - 64K
    Post edited by markusmatern on
  • Thank you so much for the reply and trying to help! heart I did step 11 exactly like that, not sure if I deselected the geometry tool, so perhaps that's it. Now I know that the tail should be set to 0 visibility, so that is progress at least. I will try one more time w this as I want to to work so bad, but it's so annoying to do all those steps and still not tail, if I don't make the actual tail part visible I see not tail at all. No legs, no tail. So something is not right. I read it so very carefully, and still error. I must be doing something wrong but that is weird as it seams not be possible to read it any other way than what I do. But I will give it one more try. Thanks for trying to help! smiley

• My result after trying again. I don't think that it's a character dialed in that is the issue here as I tried w G8 base female before w the same result. This is beoyond weird. I'm so sick and tired of selecting all those polygons over and over sad, this time I forgot to check her arms for polygons selected. I want this to work for me as well, as there is not garantie that any future mermaids will have the possibiltiy to use my own character and the skin texture I always use. And I love the skin blending in this tail. Something is off with my Daz Studio.

tail error.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    edited July 2021

I tried the process again from scratch and it worked using Genesis 8 Basic Female as a target.

There are only some minot tweaks I had to do that were not mentioned:

12. At this point you can select G8F and add a default h.material preset from the G3F material options

This is after step 12:

Switching to Iray looks like this now:

Some body parts became white like the arms, face etc. I selected the Mermaid Tail GeoShell node in the Scene pane and openend the Parameters pane. There I changed the Visibility settings for the white parts.

To get the skin color onto the torso part I selected Gensis 8 and used the Surfaces pane. Select the Torso surface and copy it using the context menu Copy Selected Surface(s)

Select the Mermaid Tail Torso surface and use the context menu Paste to Selected Surface(s)

This is the result:

I hope this helps!

LagunaMermaid_G8F_Step12.png
    352 x 600 - 208K
    LagunaMermaid_G8F_Step12Iray.png
    352 x 600 - 244K
    LagunaMermaid_G8F_Step13Iray.png
    352 x 600 - 250K
  • LasserineLasserine Posts: 65

I wonder if following these steps would allow it to work on 8.1 

• Thank you so much for the help, I will try this later! smiley I managed to get a working setup with two sets of tails that makes the tail visible w the correct textures, just some small texture bugs on her stomache, I have no idea on why that made it work lol, I had a failed wearable preset w just the tail saved, invisible, I loaded a new tail and then it showed up, veird. This setup was not so convientent to use so I will try your advice and see if I can get it to work as it should. I made a render with this, this is how it looks, one of my Lara models as a mermaid smiley.

Sola mermaid.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M

@tombraider4ever I sent a note on deviantart.

She looks good as a mermaid.

edited July 2021

Lasserine said:

The basic process does work. I tested it just now. However there was some more tinkering with surfaces on the geoshell involved. 

I think the easier approach is to create a wearable preset for G8 and then just applying it to G81. Afterwards there is only some fixing the minor surface problems for the geoshell parts needed. I'll try to describe this in more detail tomorrow.

tombraider4ever said:

Thank you so much for the help, I will try this later! smiley I managed to get a working setup with two sets of tails that makes the tail visible w the correct textures, just some small texture bugs on her stomache, I have no idea on why that made it work lol, I had a failed wearable preset w just the tail saved, invisible, I loaded a new tail and then it showed up, veird. This setup was not so convientent to use so I will try your advice and see if I can get it to work as it should. I made a render with this, this is how it looks, one of my Lara models as a mermaid smiley.

Great you managed to find a working setup. Lara looks great as a mermaid smiley

markusmatern said:

Lasserine said:

The basic process does work. I tested it just now. However there was some more tinkering with surfaces on the geoshell involved. 

I think the easier approach is to create a wearable preset for G8 and then just applying it to G81. Afterwards there is only some fixing the minor surface problems for the geoshell parts needed. I'll try to describe this in more detail tomorrow.

Thank you.  I look forward to this.

• Lasserine said:

@tombraider4ever I sent a note on deviantart.

She looks good as a mermaid.

Thank you so much! heartheart

• Lasserine said:

markusmatern said:

Lasserine said:

I look forward to this alsosmiley, would love to have it work on G8.1 female also, I have some Lara models created for her, and I prefer the expressions and eye posing on G8.1 female smiley.

• markusmatern said:

tombraider4ever said:

Thank you so much for the help, I will try this later! smiley I managed to get a working setup with two sets of tails that makes the tail visible w the correct textures, just some small texture bugs on her stomache, I have no idea on why that made it work lol, I had a failed wearable preset w just the tail saved, invisible, I loaded a new tail and then it showed up, veird. This setup was not so convientent to use so I will try your advice and see if I can get it to work as it should. I made a render with this, this is how it looks, one of my Lara models as a mermaid smiley.

Great you managed to find a working setup. Lara looks great as a mermaid smiley

Thank you so much! heartheart

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,180
    edited July 2021

tombraider4ever said:

Lasserine said:

markusmatern said:

Lasserine said:

I look forward to this alsosmiley, would love to have it work on G8.1 female also, I have some Lara models created for her, and I prefer the expressions and eye posing on G8.1 female smiley.

I've already used the Laguna tail with 8.1, specifically Jada:

Podracing

Part of Your World

I don't immediately remember what changes I had to make, but it's possible that it was as simple as renaming the body surface to "torso". I'll take a peek at those scenes and report back.

edit: Jada has a "torso" surface in both of those scenes, so that does appear to be the fix. In hindsight, I wonder if I could have just renamed the torso surface on the Laguna tail to "body" and saved a separate 8.1 version, but I feel like I tried that on the centaur body and it didn't work.

Post edited by Gordig on
    edited August 2021

Here is how I got it to work on Genesis 8.1 female:

1. Create a wearable preset as described above
    2. Load a Genesis 8.1 figure (I used Jacqueline) and select it in the Scene pane
    3. Apply the preset you generated for G8
    4. Select the Mermaid Tail Geoshell node in the Scene pane and open the Surfaces pane
      Change the Body shader from DAZ Studio Default to Iray Uber Base
      Select the G3F Mertail_3057_Torso surface and copy it using the context menu
    5. Paste it to the Body surface of the Geoshell node
      Make sure the UV Maps -> UV Set is set to Base Female
    6. Select the Parameters pane and navigate to the Shell -> Visibility settings
    7. Switch (2): Head to Off
    8. Select the Mermaid Tail -> Torso surface and apply the PBRSkin shader (optional)
      only needed for G81 using the PBRSkin shader
    9. Select the G81 node in the Scene pane ane once again open the Surfaces pane
      Copy the Body surface using the context menu

10. Select the Mermaid Tail -> Torso surface and paste the copied surface using the context menu

Yippee! You hopefully got the mermaid tail on Genesis 8.1 smiley

Jacqueline_LagunaMermaid_01.jpg
    576 x 1024 - 48K
    Jacqueline_LagunaMermaid_02.jpg
    576 x 1024 - 50K
    Jacqueline_LagunaMermaid_03.jpg
    576 x 1024 - 49K
    Jacqueline_LagunaMermaid_04.jpg
    576 x 1024 - 49K
  • Thank you so much for this, will try later ❤️. I can save it as a material preset when it is finished, right? smiley

edited August 2021

tombraider4ever said:

Thank you so much for this, will try later ❤️. I can save it as a material preset when it is finished, right? smiley

You are welcome! 

I tried it as before by saving a wearable preset. This worked fine. However you may need to repeat the steps 8, 9 and 10 where you copy the Body surface from G81 to the tail Torso part, when applying it to a different character.

• This is my finished character concept for Sia (G8.1)

• And this is the finished image

See the gallery for all the used assets

I do like Coral's tail, but I'll probably continue using Laguna on my G8F characters, and maybe occasionally on 8.1 as well.

edited August 2021

Finally got around to fitting the Laguna tail to males, and obviously, this is the first thing I thought to do with it.

Mermuppet.png
    1350 x 2400 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • AMAZING tutorial - thank you so much for making this!!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I prefer this mermaid tail: Lil' Mermaid for Callie 6 | Daz 3D

but I suppose the approach to fit it to Genesis 8 / Genesis 8.1 has to be completely different.