saving selections?

Sylva1nSylva1n Posts: 0
edited July 2012 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello

is there a way to save/memorize selections in Hexagon 2.5?

thanks,

Sylvain

Post edited by Sylva1n on

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Nope

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited July 2012

you can save a selection as a material [shading domain}, only for faces. never tried vertices or edges

Post edited by dot_bat on
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    you can save a selection as a material [shading domain}, only for faces. never tried vertices or edges

Any one face can only belong to a single shading domain. That severely limits the usefulness of that particular application of this function.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

Are you saving selections for grouping purpose or otherwise ?

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited July 2012

I suppose it depends on what the purpose of saved selections are used for.

If it is for textures and shaders and possible morphs, then shading domains work just fine.

If you need a hierarchy for animation then extract the polygons and make it part of a group hierarchy in a parent/child relationship.

Just because you use shading domains, doesn't mean they can't be useful. One can use shading domains across several regions of polygons if they have the same texture. Also, shading domains don't have to be different colors or texture, they can be used to identify function.

For instance, gear shift linkage can be the same color, but each one can be given a shading domain so it can later be used to animate separately as "parts" in most 3D graphic programs.

Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I think the OP is referring to a function such as there is in Carrara and a few other apps. Say you have an area of the model which is a complex selection and you need to work on it repeatedly. You can save the selection, move on to something else then come back and restore the selection so you don't have to spend a lot of time re-selecting.

Hex doesn't have this, but defining temporary shading domains works just as well, if not better than that function in Carrara, where you can only save one selection, or add to it - using shading domains you can define as many selections as you want.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well surely all he has to do is to save as a file which clearly identifies that is a WIP and the OP can reload it any time s/he wishes or am I being thick ? :P

edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    Well surely all he has to do is to save as a file which clearly identifies that is a WIP and the OP can reload it any time s/he wishes or am I being thick ? :P

How would that help? This question is not about saving whole models. It is about putting aside a string of vertices, edges or polygons which consist a subset of all the v/e/p in a particular model and later coming back and having them quickly re-selected.

Look at Cinema 4D's Set Selection tool for an example.

• edited July 2012

Ascania said:
    How would that help?

What would REALLY help would be for sylva1n to come back and comment on the suggestions made here so that we could zero in on some satisfactory work-alike or work-around for what she(?) wants to do.

I've used grouping to isolate model parts for ease of selection, and believe it ot not, I sometimes use the "undo" function to repeatedly alter and save a specific selected area in different ways. This is extremely useful for creating a series of subtle mini-morphs.

But without guidance from the OP, all we can do is shotgun wild ideas.
    Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • edited July 2012

Double posted, for some reason...

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I’ve used grouping to isolate model parts for ease of selection, and believe it ot not, I sometimes use the “undo” function to repeatedly alter and save a specific selected area in different ways. This is extremely useful for creating a series of subtle mini-morphs.

Exactly!

edited December 1969

I've used grouping to isolate model parts for ease of selection, and believe it ot not, I sometimes use the "undo" function to repeatedly alter and save a specific selected area in different ways. This is extremely useful for creating a series of subtle mini-morphs.

Which doesn't help much when you're actually deep in a modeling session and need to retain changes or have to swap between two or more sets of selections until they all line up as suppsed and are not just doing some fire-and-forget morphing.
  • edited December 1969

Ascania said:

Which doesn't help much when you're actually deep in a modeling session and need to retain changes or have to swap between two or more sets of selections until they all line up as suppsed and are not just doing some fire-and-forget morphing.

That may well be true, but the point to my last comment was that we'll never know what WILL help since the OP has disappeared on us.

I wasn't criticizing anyone's input here, I was criticizing people who ask us questions and then just walk away without a word while we're out here wasting our own time and effort trying to answer their question.