• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,842
    edited June 2020

Frogs Life

FrogsLife01pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 479K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited June 2020

I like it. Looks a little like the Outer Banks in N.C. or something ;) I duplicated the terrain, enlarged it and pushed it way into the background to break up the horizon.

Thanks for the inspiration barbult! :)

Laurie

The Inlet.jpg
    2000 x 827 - 132K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    AllenArt said:

I like it. Looks a little like the Outer Banks in N.C. or something ;) I duplicated the terrain, enlarged it and pushed it way into the background to break up the horizon.

Laurie

I love this render Laurie! It reminds of home.

Trish

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

this is really nice. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    Artini said:

Frogs Life

Perfect surroundings for the new character!

AllenArt said:

Laurie

That extra background was clever and very effective! I also like the way the background items are in a bit of a fog to give them the sense of being far away.

barbult said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

That extra background was clever and very effective! I also like the way the background items are in a bit of a fog to give them the sense of being far away.

One of the reasons I like using depth of field and the fogs for Iray...it does really give the sense of distance :).

Laurie

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

That is absolutely gorgeous!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,066
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Laurie, that's absolutely inspired. Quite amazing. Looks so much like the salt marshes near me along the North Kent Coast - they have poetic and historic names like 'Bedlam's Bottom' and 'Dead Man's Island'. 

• daveso said:

i did one of those negatives .. I like it ..but having difficulty in doing what i thought ?I had wanted to do ... 
    #1 ... ship on the horizon ... not as easy as it would seem. the ship is at xtrans -100,000. 
    #2 ... creating a large ocean. I used Terradome # water ... but it is at same level as the USC water ..but there was an obvious square of water where the USC water ened. I hid the USC water and just used the TD3 water ..the stream needs to flow towards the ocean ... but not using TD3 water. 

Well, assuming the ship is at 100% scale for Studio, the position's not really a surprise.  Studio's units are cm, so that position is 100,000 cm away - which is 1,000 metres or 1 km.  The horizon for a 5'7 person is about 5 km away on flat terrain.

I find it really easy to forget that Studio was designed for portraiture, and the units are thus very small.  You might want to reduce the ship to 50% scale, that will help make it look further away.   Depth of field and distance fog help too.

It also looks like your HDRI's bottom is showing?  Something on the horizon to mask that would probably help your picutre out.

For the stream, it might be worth doing two renders, one with TD3 for the ocean and the other with the US water for the stream, then combining them in post-work.

Thanks a lot, Barbult.

Your discoveries about negative max height were such inspirational.

Just wonder, if anything else besides River 2 gives some good results with negative height max?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Really inspired! That's become a new favourite for me - great work.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

That is so lovely @AllenArt

daveso said:

i did one of those negatives .. I like it ..but having difficulty in doing what i thought ?I had wanted to do ... 
    #1 ... ship on the horizon ... not as easy as it would seem. the ship is at xtrans -100,000. 
    #2 ... creating a large ocean. I used Terradome # water ... but it is at same level as the USC water ..but there was an obvious square of water where the USC water ened. I hid the USC water and just used the TD3 water ..the stream needs to flow towards the ocean ... but not using TD3 water. 

Well, assuming the ship is at 100% scale for Studio, the position's not really a surprise.  Studio's units are cm, so that position is 100,000 cm away - which is 1,000 metres or 1 km.  The horizon for a 5'7 person is about 5 km away on flat terrain.

I find it really easy to forget that Studio was designed for portraiture, and the units are thus very small.  You might want to reduce the ship to 50% scale, that will help make it look further away.   Depth of field and distance fog help too.

It also looks like your HDRI's bottom is showing?  Something on the horizon to mask that would probably help your picutre out.

For the stream, it might be worth doing two renders, one with TD3 for the ocean and the other with the US water for the stream, then combining them in post-work.

thank you very much. i didn;t realize the 1cm measurements. good idea on comining the renders ...

I know I have been thinking about expanding the USC scenery as well ... to broaden the view. My thought was to allow as many USC pieces as we would want, like to 3, 4 of them ... as much as your system could handle, or alow in the viewport. 

The horizon problem I've had forever with the HDRIs. Someone had posted a deal about using manual ground and lowering it, which works for sure, but DOF or haze even then looks good. 

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Great image, Laurie!

edited June 2020

The Picnic...

ThePicnic01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 521K
    Post edited by Artini on

Thanks everyone :). barbult always knows how to push everything to it's limits and finds new ways of doing things. I never would have come up with the negative terrain on my own. LOL

Laurie

Artini said:

Just wonder, if anything else besides River 2 gives some good results with negative height max?

I've used River 1 and Pond. If you aren't seeing any land above water, try increasing the contrast. With negative max altitude, the black parts of the terrain noise map will be raised and the white areas will be low. I haven't tried a custom terrain map with negative max altitude yet. there's always more to explore!

edited June 2020

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Barbult.

I have not seen any land above the water until now, after your recent description.

You are amazing. It opens up a lot more possibilities, even while using only included Features and Ecology.

Below is an example of Lake 3 with max altitude -7 m, Oaks 05 and Ecology Seed 231

Lake3sc01pic01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 604K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

I have not seen any land above the water until now, after your recent description.

You are amazing. It opens up a lot more possibilities, even while using only included Features and Ecology.

Below is an example of Lake 3 with max altitude -7 m, Oaks 05 and Ecology Seed 231

I'm not really that amazing.blush HowieFarkes told me about the negative max altitude. Until then, I had never thought to try a negative number. I'm glad you are finding a good use for it.

Ok, ok, but you have the gift, to explain the things, that I could undestand and I value that.

edited June 2020

Slightly changed Contrast and Brightness and I got another landscape from Lake 3 - max altitude -3 m

and then choosen the part of it, that looks interesting for me...

Lake3sc03pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 554K
    Lake3sc06pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 809K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

i have to say, the land areas remind me of garlic bread. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142
    edited June 2020

I've been playing with the negative max altitude for a couple of hours and came up with these.

First is a simple one with max -5m , River 1 and Oaks 3 (I think) ecosystem.

Second, I tried Lake1, everything else unchanged, and got this pebble-beach effect, which I thought was quite interesting. (I suppose the floor of the lake has been pulled up above the water level, so there is no vegetation to speak of but lots of river pebbles/stones/logs) I added a  couple of plants in the foreground - they are not part of Oaks of course.

USC-Flatlands.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 734K
    USC-Lake1-Beach.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 716K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Note to self: Deselect river pebbles when scene will contain large bodies of water! laugh

I like that pebble beach!

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

That pebble beach is cool! It did make me think of how many instances of river pebbles are created underwater that won't show in a standard non-negative max height render.

I also like that pebble beach - looks great.

dawnblade said:

That pebble beach is cool! It did make me think of how many instances of river pebbles are created underwater that won't show in a standard non-negative max height render.

I had over 150,000 River Pebbles instances in one scene.

This discussion has been closed.