Help! Eyes are gone

I'm having an issue with one of my model's eyes and eyelashes. Everything was fine and then I opened up the file again and things were wrong. As far as I know, I didn't change any settings or move any files. Help! This is driving me nuts

phone copy.jpg
2448 x 1024 - 187K

Comments

• It's lost its opacity maps (at least), but the hair still has them so it isn't s render/display setting. Try reapplying the materials for the character you used (if you can recall which that was).

• Thank you. I had tried that before. Just tried it again. It didn't work and would that be related to the eyelashes too?

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited January 2020

If you duplicate the model, does this issue happen on the new model?

Looks like the material-data in the save file, may have gotten corrupted, or something in the saved data is throwing a hurdle at Daz, which it simply drops-in default/generic data as a replacement. (Possibly duplicating the item would essentially bypass that, initially, as it reloads the individual settings, as opposed to actually trying to duplicate the raw-data from the saved file. When you save a model, it saves that data, then tries to reload it from the saved data. But, if something happened in the process of saving the data, or reading it... You get odd things like this. Such as when a model is saved and some other script or setting decides to add itself to the save-file in the process. Common with botched morphs and "fixes" that like to attach themselves to every open model, if they are used or not. Thinking back to a warewolf morph that made all Gen-3 models look like someone crushed thier shoulders if you bent the arms, and a hair mod that somehow could pull bones out of a gen-3, distorting the whole model making spaghetti arms and fingers.)

If that doesn't work, just try reapplying the skin/eyes or whatever you set the model to. (That is a script, I assume, which should just be telling it what materials to load for that model. If that somehow was the data that got corrupted or lost or interfered with in the save file.) You can practice on the duplicate first, if it did copy-over the bad data. (Incorrect image paths or names, or missing image files for the materials.)

If you save it, and reload it, after it is fixed, and it still does that... Might want to contact the maker of the eyes/skin that is loading them. Or, look into other non-direct potential issues that may be leading to that specific items failure. Unless it was just a one-time issue.

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • Thanks. I tried loading a completely fresh model and it's having the same issue. I've tried reapplying the material with no luck. 

edited January 2020

Have you restarted Daz, just in case it is an unmanaged glitch in the system. (Hard trying to recover from those issues once they happen, they might not resolve themselves, even though all else seems to be perfectly fine.)

Have you checked the Opacity images in the materials, as Richard said? But, check them to see if the actual images are not broken. (Sometimes an image can start to copy, after an install, but it only gets as far as making the file-name, and never copies the actual image data itself. Thus, if you try to load it, it is simply going to give an error, or silently be replaced with a generic blank image that has no image data. Such as the shade-values which determine the opacity or colors that determine the colors.)

Does loading another set of eyelashes or eyes fix the issue? Again, checking the materials to see what changed, if anything. (Maybe, somehow, another obscure value like diffuse-map got turned up to 100% and has essentially masked the image or any other values that normally would be showing.) I would try the eyelashes first. Less materials to troubleshoot.

Ultimately, it could be the model presets that are "broken", not the save-file, if not the actual images or settings of the materials being somehow out of whack. Do you have an older version of that character setup? Maybe they updated it and fixed that issue, in a newer version. (But you should be able to fix the issue yourself, for now.)

Again, I am only saying this, because you said it is only this model having this issue. (Normally, a glitch would not be explicit to one single model, but it could be, if they have custom shaders or scripts attached to it.)

• I've been dealing with this issue for months so I have restarted DAZ. I'm finding that it's happening on all eyes and eyelashes on all models now. 

edited January 2020

I've been dealing with this issue for months so I have restarted DAZ. I'm finding that it's happening on all eyes and eyelashes on all models now. 

Can you take a snapshot or two, of the material settings? (For the eyelashes)

If they look fine when you load them from a default model, but only change after saving... Snapshot both before and after, to try to figure-out what, if anything, has changed between here and there. It might just be an obscure bug, related to saving and/or loading. (Which would be best handled by reporting the bug, at that point, directly to Daz, through the HELP page.)

There still may be something, like a script or bad morph that is altering your base-model or even just a broken base-material that is causing the issue. Have you recently loaded any new models into your collection, or scripts?

(You would have to reload the "Essentials" for Gen-8 or Gen-3 and maybe the non-specific "Starter essentials", if that is the case. I think the non-specific essentials contains the base IRAY/UBER materials. The eyelashes and eyes are specific to Gen-8, Gen-3, Gen-2 etc... and those "Starter essentials".)

• I think I fixed it. I just kept loading textures until it worked. Thanks for all your help

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

You may also check the log to see if there's some error when loading textures. Then you may need to reinstall a damaged file and/or to check the disk for damaged blocks.