Measure Bra Size

Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
edited January 2020 in The Commons

Hey,

I'm a little bit confused how to calculate the bra size of a DAZ figure.

This is how the breasts are (hopefully the censor bar is enough):

Image removed

Looks for me something like cup size B or C.

Measure Metric calculates for the Bust Size 34.59in and for the Band Size: 29.08in

There are a lot of web sites how to calculate the bra size, like
https://www.calculator.net/bra-size-calculator.html?bustsize=34.59&bustsizeunit=inch&framesize=29.08&framesizeunit=inch&x=54&y=27
which gives me a 34 DD/E (US)

Or according to https://trueandco.com/how-to-measure-bra-size
The difference is 5.5". So it's a DDD to E cup (WTF?)!

But the next table on the pages says it's 34B:

So is there a difference between bra size and cup size?

While this calc tells me its a 30G:
https://lindasonline.com/pages/bra-fitting-calculator

This one 32B to C:
https://www.wacoal-america.com/fit-calculator

And finally, I discorverd Measure Metric calculates also the bra cup size:

Which claims the cup size is an A...

Well... I'm a litte bit irritatet... Somebody has an idea how to get an accurate breast cup size / bra cup size?

measure02.jpg
485 x 195 - 31K
measure03.jpg
756 x 879 - 101K
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Im tempted to say the sensor bar is not enough, but mods will determine that; if in doubt, either PM mods and ask opinion, or use greyscale view.

I'm kinda curious, can't you eye-ball it? I always wonder in an artistic situation, why the exact size is so important? :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927
    nicstt said:

Im tempted to say the sensor bar is not enough, but mods will determine that; if in doubt, either PM mods and ask opinion, or use greyscale view.

I'm kinda curious, can't you eye-ball it? I always wonder in an artistic situation, why the exact size is so important? :)

each to their own fetish devil

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    nicstt said:

Hm... okay, I replaced the image with a greysacle view version. Thank you for the hint.

I need this for a comic, where the character measures her breasts. I would like to make this plausible to the reader wink

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    gerster said:
    nicstt said:

Hm... okay, I replaced the image with a greysacle view version. Thank you for the hint.

I need this for a comic, where the character measures her breasts. I would like to make this plausible to the reader wink

I knew there would be a good reason. (just shows where Wendy's mind was. cheeky)

• LucielLuciel Posts: 475
    edited January 2020

This is far more confusing than it should be due to a bunch of different brands and countries using pretty random and nonsensical systems. Cup sizes are different from brand to brand, with different methods of counting (some have AA sizes, some don't, some have E, some skip straight to F some use DDD or whatever instead, etc). Some countries also work in different ways (European countries in general are more standardized in bra system) so it does also matter where the character lives.

So basically giving a straight answer is more complex than it needs to be. The "band size" which is sometimes the underbust rounded up to the nearest even number if it's odd (so "29" becomes "30"), however, in some places you need to add "5" inches instead (for some unknown reason odd numbers get +5 and even get +4) so a "29" measurement becomes 34, because it just does. Then you'll have to use the Cup size measuring system for whatever you feel like (probably a "DD"). 

Then, of course, that's only a rough guide, as it's fitting a massively variable in shape and size, organic thing. Some women wear a bigger band sizes with smaller cups to fit better, some do the reverse, and countless other things. Plus, generally, most women wear completely the wrong size anyway, just to confuse matters further. 

So that should (hopefully) explain why the results are all over the place. As they're all "right" in their own confusing way.. 

As for the measure metrics the "A" size probably comes from the "Band Difference" which would (depending on the system) be an "A" or "B", but isn't actually right according to the measurements (34-29 is 5 inches not 1.5). I'm assuming the "bra band offset" is the "+4/+5" system I mentioned before. 

Post edited by Luciel on
    Luciel said:

This is far more confusing than it should be due to a bunch of different brands and countries using pretty random and nonsensical systems. Cup sizes are different from brand to brand, with different methods of counting (some have AA sizes, some don't, some have E, some skip straight to F some use DDD or whatever instead, etc). Some countries also work in different ways (European countries in general are more standardized in bra system) so it does also matter where the character lives.

So basically giving a straight answer is more complex than it needs to be. The "band size" which is sometimes the underbust rounded up to the nearest even number if it's odd (so "29" becomes "30"), however, in some places you need to add "5" inches instead (for some unknown reason odd numbers get +5 and even get +4) so a "29" measurement becomes 34, because it just does. Then you'll have to use the Cup size measuring system for whatever you feel like (probably a "DD"). 

Then, of course, that's only a rough guide, as it's fitting a massively variable in shape and size, organic thing. Some women wear a bigger band sizes with smaller cups to fit better, some do the reverse, and countless other things. Plus, generally, most women wear completely the wrong size anyway, just to confuse matters further. 

So that should (hopefully) explain why the results are all over the place. As they're all "right" in their own confusing way.. 

As for the measure metrics the "A" size probably comes from the "Band Difference" which would (depending on the system) be an "A" or "B", but isn't actually right according to the measurements (34-29 is 5 inches not 1.5). I'm assuming the "bra band offset" is the "+4/+5" system I mentioned before. 

Hey Luciel,

thank you for the answer.

Yes I figured already out that the system variates from region to region.

The character lives in the USA, what bra size would the character have?

Or does this differ from bra manufactor to bra manufactor in the USA? Which would mean the character would have to go to the website of the bra manufactor and calcualte her size for this spefific bra brand?

What is the default "offset" in the USA? Four, as DAZ has as default setting?

Is Bra Band Offset a DAZ thing? Couldn't find anything in the Internet about that.

• LucielLuciel Posts: 475
    edited January 2020
    gerster said:
    Luciel said:

Hey Luciel,

thank you for the answer.

Yes I figured already out that the system variates from region to region.

The character lives in the USA, what bra size would the character have?

Or does this differ from bra manufactor to bra manufactor in the USA? Which would mean the character would have to go to the website of the bra manufactor and calcualte her size for this spefific bra brand?

What is the default "offset" in the USA? Four, as DAZ has as default setting?

It would all depend on the manafacturer as they generally use different systems even within the same country. So a trip to the manafacturers site would be a safe option!

Remember the +4 offset is for even numbers and the odd number your character has would be +5 (it might do that automatically, but probably not). Though i'm not from the US I think that the +4/5 system is generally used by US manafacturers, but again, it all depends on the specific manafacturer. 

This really is a pretty silly system. laugh

Post edited by Luciel on

okay... thank you... that's an usefull answer ;)

• gerster said:
    nicstt said:

Greyscale without the patch would have been OK.

gerster said:

edited January 2020
    gerster said:
    nicstt said:

Why was the image removed if even greyscale without the patch would have been ok?
    It was greysacle WITH a patch...? cool

Post edited by Hurdy3D on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    gerster said:
    gerster said:
    nicstt said:

Why was the image removed if even greyscale without the patch would have been ok?

probably because of the patch... makes people imagine dirty stuff I presume... devil

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927

I couldn't see why she couldn't be wearing a bra since that is the topic

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947

Maybe  could not find one that fitted properly? cheeky

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    gerster said:
    gerster said:
    nicstt said:

probably because of the patch... makes people imagine dirty stuff I presume... devil

True... most people are more shocked or offended by the partially covered nipple on the left than the exposed, bare one on the right...

Granted these are pipe nipples, but a nipple is a nipple and a covered nipple will always lead the mind to wander.

• gerster said:
    gerster said:
    nicstt said:

Please see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity#latest , but essentially maikdecker was pretty much rght.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,122
    edited January 2020

Band size is the same as a person's underbust size in inches (measured while nude) + 4 inches (5 if an odd number.) Cup size is then a letter grade (starting with AA, A, B, etc.) for each inch the measured overbust size (also measured in inches) is greater than that Band size (not the underbust size.) Obviously there are specific clothing brands whose sizing systems greatly differ from this. But this is how the measurements were originally intended to function.

Band size originated as a way for department store employees in the United States to determine proper bra sizing without requiring customers to strip down first. Based on a fair amount of research I did into this several years ago, someone working at Sears during the 1940s realized that the materials used for the band of a typical bra added around 4-5 inches worth of extra circumference to a person's clothed torso. Meaning that you could measure a person's clothed underbust, drop 4-5 inches from that measurment, and you would have something very close to their true underbust measurement - no modesty conundrums regarding being topless/in physical contact with a total stranger in a semi-public place required. Since department stores had such big pull at the time with major garment manufacturers they were able to get the offset numbering scheme adopted at the garment size label level. Thereby making it simpler for store employees to measure and grab appropriate sizes for specific customers off the shelf without having to do multiple math calculations first (rounding and addition.)

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    SimonJM said:

Maybe  could not find one that fitted properly? cheeky

LOL of the month.  :)

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

now i am waiting for a morph product covering this topic