Shaders

Decided it's time I started using shaders and preset shaders but no idea where to start, anyone have any tutorials, for example loading and editing shaders, sizeing shaders to fit the item, anything really.

Thanks

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    lindans said:

Decided it's time I started using shaders and preset shaders but no idea where to start, anyone have any tutorials, for example loading and editing shaders, sizeing shaders to fit the item, anything really.

Thanks

Everything uses a Shader it what tells the render engine how to render. So you have been using them. 

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

To apply a shader you must have both an object and one of its surfaces selected.  Using the Surface Select tool will automaticaly select the object the surface is on.

• jestmart said:

To apply a shader you must have both an object and one of its surfaces selected.  Using the Surface Select tool will automaticaly select the object the surface is on.

A Shader preset - a Materials preset can also apply a shader (and a Shader prset may just change values for the current shader).

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited January 2020
    lindans said:

Thanks

Throughout the forums are a few threads that were started for learning how to make shaders. It is a rather time consuming puzzle to fanthom. I've loaded a basic plane and the Shader was loaded from it to the Shader Mixer. That's for Iray. One can also use the Shader Builder for non-Iray shaders.

Basically one has plates joined together with spagetti lines. If poorly or badly made, they can crash the program.

Possibly because Shaders are not made for any particular one item, haven't come across anything suggesting even that one size a Shader to an item. One may or not be able to provide some controllers so the end user can resize patterns for various objects.

All the above referring to making Shaders using D/S. I've heard that there are other programs which can make Shaders which can be used in D/S and one would have to refer to the sources for that information. I've also come across at least one [rather amusing to me] post in another place wherein the gentlemen were actually writing the codes for to make the Shaders. Now, that would be a supremely well done notion if wanting to make unique Shaders that are 100% yours type thing. I'm not a coding expert.

Shading presets are anything that anybody has been calling either a Shader or a Shading Preset that is actually applied to the object. Shaders [the actual Shaders] are not applied to any object save through the Shader Mixer panel. In other words, if one can see the shading item in the Content Library, it is a Shader Preset. One can make changes to those using the Surface Tabs. Then one can save out those changes in two ways. If wanted for a particular item, then as a material preset works. If wanting it for use on any object, then one would save out another Shader Preset. [remember to select only one surface to do that]

Shaders are loaded in the Shader Mixer.png
    1600 x 860 - 297K
    There is also Shader Buider [not for Iray].png
    511 x 345 - 52K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

There is this simple DAZ tutorial called Shaders and Materials here: https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-daz-3d-video-tutorials

I watched it earlier today and to my surprise I found out that if I get a couple of shader packs, even a newbie like me could do wonders with the items on my renders without any major sweat. I still wander aimlessly through the jungle of various terms and tools that remain a mystery to me, but it is possible to do a lot easily even then. Basically, if I can, anyone else can too.smiley

This my initial testing render:

And this is the same figure and base stand (with a slightly changed posing and the base stand rotated a bit), with some shaders applied to the base stand and the outfit.:

• lindanslindans Posts: 99

Thanks all