It's 2020... Please don't make Genesis 9

Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
edited January 2020 in The Commons

I know, I know... Genesis 9 is coming at some point.

But, well... Why? Besides the basic fact that Daz needs to keep selling products, do we really need a Genesis 9? I believe G8 has been extremely successful and thanks to all our awesome vendors, we're now able to achieve truly incredibly results with products like Ultimate Natural Bend MorphsAutoface Enhancer, and Skin Folds and Creases.

And of course it's not like G8 goes away when G9 comes out, but I just don't want to start over from scratch!

Does anyone else feel this dread, or am I nutso?

P.S. I've only been around since G3, but G8 feels like it should at least last another three years.

Post edited by Leonides02 on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825

we were assured it wasn't 

but

then we were assured a few years ago Poser support would continue etc ...things change

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

but

then we were assured a few years ago Poser support would continue etc ...things change

I thought we were assured G9 wasn't coming in 2019...?

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

but

Well, the assurance was that G9 wouldn't come out in 2019. Which it hasn't.

G8 could end up being another V4 - for which new products continue to be made even now (not here, but elsewhere). At some point, G9 will arrive, but I wonder what improvements it would bring (expressions? ....?)

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

I won't be starting over, that's for sure. But what about all the guys and girls who are new to Daz Studio? They deserve a chance to get the best on offer, right?

Or we could say that there's no need to upgrade Studio either. Or your car, or...

Nath said:

but

Well, the assurance was that G9 wouldn't come out in 2019. Which it hasn't.

G8 could end up being another V4 - for which new products continue to be made even now (not here, but elsewhere). At some point, G9 will arrive, but I wonder what improvements it would bring (expressions? ....?)

The expressions on G8 are really great, though - especially with the Autoface Enchancer. 

But I, too, wonder what they could bring. Soft body physics is one people always talk about, but I don't see that happening.

• ArgleSWArgleSW Posts: 138

If every generation waited another 3 years, then Genesis 11 will be 10 years behind where it could have been. Pushing new technology out to the public faster pushes the next thing to evolve faster. If they settle down to stretch out updated tech at a slower pace, not good for the long run. 

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

I think if we get good convertors from G8 to G9 it's fine if G9 comes online.

I think that Daz should be the one offering the convertors to be honest, not wait for PAs to do it.

I mean offer some backwards compatibility of some kind to your loyal customers that have bought maybe thousands of dollars worth of merchandise...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577

I know, I know... Genesis 9 is coming at some point.

But, well... Why? Besides the basic fact that Daz needs to keep selling products, do we really need a Genesis 9? I believe G8 has been extremely successful and thanks to all our awesome vendors, we're now able to achieve truly incredibly results with products like Ultimate Natural Bend MorphsAutoface Enhancer, and Skin Folds and Creases.

And of course it's not like G8 goes away when G9 comes out, but I just don't want to start over from scratch!

Does anyone else feel this dread, or am I nutso?

P.S. I've only been around since G3, but G8 feels like it should at least last another three years.

...I'm still with G3 ad I couldn't justify the cost of "retooling" for G8 given the minor amount of improvement offered.  

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,567

I think if we get good convertors from G8 to G9 it's fine if G9 comes online.

I think that Daz should be the one offering the convertors to be honest, not wait for PAs to do it.

I mean offer some backwards compatibility of some kind to your loyal customers that have bought maybe thousands of dollars worth of merchandise...

makes sense from a consumer POV, but that would be poor business sense for DAZ when the goal is to sell products.

in all honesty, if G9 is a hefty leap forward, then it should break most backwards capability, If not, then I don't see the need for for it with what I have now.

I have been spending most of my 3d time in VR with Unity and the G2 models and they look amazing outside of DS, so it's given me a better appreciattion of what I have and not buying into the next new thing. So G9 had better pretty amazing to get me to buy into it this time around..

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413
    edited January 2020

I'm thinking g9 would be more dforcestyle tech or at least should be. What I mean is for example in the ladies when you move position them in certain poses their breasts and bellies would bend sag more realisticly naturally and hd details built in just like we get from the pas we should automaticlly get it from daz in their core 9 bases and more seperated makeup options as in seperate lipstick, eye shadow ect just like the pas give us but we don't get with daz core figures. And the basic shape and expression morphs included built in as well, hell hire buyout Zev0 to create add some to be included. The core bases already cost a lot but we don't get much included whereas the PAs give us so much in their characters and so much cheaper. G9 really should be an upgrade but yeah I'll more than likely buy it regardless even if it isn't but quating  one actor's famous line to DAZ - "You Can Do It" 

Post edited by ANGELREAPER1972 on
    Baby Yoda said:

If every generation waited another 3 years, then Genesis 11 will be 10 years behind where it could have been. Pushing new technology out to the public faster pushes the next thing to evolve faster. If they settle down to stretch out updated tech at a slower pace, not good for the long run. 

Have we really gotten "new" technology though? frown

the only problem I have is once a new figure arrives all content creation and improvements for the previous figure stops ...

yes maybe some stuff done at other sites but not PA only things like dforce strand hair and HD morphs

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    Baby Yoda said:

No... this is only true if there's actually new and important technology available that won't break all backwards compatibility with existing systems and products.  For the people who produce these products this is a business, and it's very poor business to be constantly cranking out new figures to accompany new versions of software that only have very minor improvements.  The end result of that is that you end up with is a lot of figures that never get completely adopted or properly supported by PAs enough to be as useful as the product that it's supposed to replace, so people continue to use the older product that has more options instead.  That's pretty much exactly what happened when Poser got into the habit of releasing entirely new figures with each new release of poser despite the fact that the software was barely changing at all.  The end result was that no PAs ever wanted to support Simon/Sydney, Paul/Pauline, etc, as everyone knew those figures would be gone with the next release of Poser whearas anything you might ever want was available for V4. 

• AtiAti Posts: 9,082

I won't be starting over, that's for sure. But what about all the guys and girls who are new to Daz Studio? They deserve a chance to get the best on offer, right?

But do they? When a new gen comes out, there are no converters yet, so they can only use a very limited amount of items. Is that good for them?

As @Leonides02 pointed out in his original post, we are at a point when we can do pretty much everything with G8. When a new gen comes along, we'll have a shiny new figure that will be very limited.

Unless the main feature of this new gen is to be able to wear all previous items, and use all previous poses and use all previous morphs. In which case, bring it on! :)

• the only problem I have is once a new figure arrives all content creation and improvements for the previous figure stops ...

Maybe it's just me, but looking at the reduced number of daily new releases, and the quality of characters, clothing and hair that's coming out (linday's top quality shirt today being an exception), I've been thinking that PA's have perhaps moved on to creating content for the imminent G9 release, and have stopped putting much time and effort into more G8 stuff.

the only problem I have is once a new figure arrives all content creation and improvements for the previous figure stops ...

Maybe it's just me, but looking at the reduced number of daily new releases, and the quality of characters, clothing and hair that's coming out (linday's top quality shirt today being an exception), I've been thinking that PA's have perhaps moved on to creating content for the imminent G9 release, and have stopped putting much time and effort into more G8 stuff.

well considering the amazing lack of seams on another new outfit, you may be right angry

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437

I am very excited with every new generation.

I still use the original Genesis sometimes and I don´t feel like it´s starting over again, almost everything except HD morphs is back and forward compatible. If I like something, I get it regardless of the generation it is for. I bet I will still be using Genesis 1 content on Genesis 9. 

• There are already threads on the hypothetical Genesis 9, so this has been locked.

This discussion has been closed.