What the rules for working with cumulus3d volumetric cloud puffs?

so far learned i cant use a color gradient on a cloud.  was trying to make a colorful nebula.

can't see how to shrink it's bounding box down to 30 ft.  it's showing the size in mi

the puffs are pretty. 

scaling these puffs turning out to be tricky.

there is a slider for size, but i end up with no puffs.

18 cloud puffs.PNG
755 x 594 - 47K
18 cloud puffs.JPG
1209 x 759 - 101K

Comments

• My Cumulus S3D plugin works within Carrara's volumetric cloud shape primitive.  There is no way to change the volumetric cloud color to create a gradient.  There is only one cloud color chip for the whole cloud in the main properties section.

Also volumetric clouds actually render differently depending on their size in the scene.  The smaller the cloud size is the feinter it gets and the larger the cloud is the thicker it gets.  The clouds render properly around the default range up to a few miles.  The units in the cloud properties box are fixed to miles.

My cloud has many properties and sliders and they are all explained in the user manual and with the tool tips.  The size slider has two values which give the random range for the up to 9 separate cumulus clouds in the volume.  When both the min and max size is set to 100% it will create clouds that are touching each other.  If the slider is pushed to the maximum of 200% the clouds will balloon out and fill the whole volume.  Set minimum and maximum size values to get random cloud sizes within that range.

In the Puffs tab you can adjust how dense or loose the puffs are in my clouds.

Looks like with your Carrara font the sliders are hard to read.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

eveything is hard to read.  cool  doh

guess i'll need another way to make nebulas and cotton candy.  cheese poofs  lol

mebbe the old clouds smiley or a light gel on a puff.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223

For gradient nebulae, I use a separate cloud of each color in my gradient, and combine them in the scene.

More - do experiment with Silver Lining, Density, Bottom Flatness, Opacity, etc., and use lights to further enhance the colors and appearance.

If I start to see straight lines in the render due to Volumetric Clouds intersecting, I'll manipulate them around a bit until that goes away - usually pretty easy to get them looking good.

Since mine are often really small compared to their default size, I also play with the Scaling and Sharpness, and often set the coloring lights to Only affect the clouds or even just a specific cloud.

For things like the Trifid nebula, I'll use the individual star element that come with Starry Sky and place them where they look cool.

this the old cover needs redoing.

made the lil shipin Bryce using boleans.

posette.

nebula clouds were from corel or bryce (version 4) >.<

watching Andromeda has raised my standards for fx  lol

old bbookcover.JPG
    332 x 347 - 29K

Cool cover!

• Hey Dartanbeck,

I didn't think combining multiple coloured clouds would work but you've clearly demonstrated that it does with great results when it's done right.

Hey Dartanbeck,

I didn't think combining multiple coloured clouds would work but you've clearly demonstrated that it does with great results when it's done right.

Thanks! I should add that, when 'coloring' volumetric clouds, subtlety is key. Just a litle dash can go a long way! Let lights do the rest.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Carrara challenge 19 had lots of suggestions to help me come up with similar idea's

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/60434/carrara-challenge-19-above-and-beyond-wip-thread/p1

This link has some set up info.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/887363/#Comment_887363

that 1st one very nice ~  colors.  and can see the stars thru it.

@chickenman That is some Amazing Work, my friend!!! Kudos!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

@chickenman That is some Amazing Work, my friend!!! Kudos!

+1

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 2019

As Dart said, combining different cloud colors works. The lights are also key to getting looking right. Even a white cloud can look blue and red with light placed withing them or aiming at them. Using freely available NASA images of nebulas as a background can also help fill in details and sell the effect.

City planetisimal.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 488K
    Enterprise and Bird of prey.jpg
    2048 x 1280 - 284K
    Eye of the Tiger comp copy.jpg
    2000 x 830 - 213K
    Centauri Pioneers.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 313K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

these are all great! inspiring too!

--ms

It's going to be cool to see how we can do these things with new Fluidos II!

can see why they named this the witch head nebula

a pretty one, 

M20 - the Trifid Nebula is one of the first nebulae I've ever actually seen through a telescope and it's been a personal favorite ever since.

Although high quality deep field photography has given us incredibly beautiful and colorful images like this one

I still gaze upon it in awe seeing it more like this through my telescope - even a little less magnified

When I go Galaxy/Nebula/Star Cluster hunting, I'll print a map very similar to this one to find my targeted goals for the night's session. I'm much less scientific than the others I star gaze with - often including my Dad and my Brother. I just like to enjoy the view. It's a real rush!

I use software called Cartes Du Ciel (Star Chart), by Patrick Chevalley

It's free, but is incredibly customizable in ways that are especially important to me. I can turn everything Off that I want - like everything but the brightest of the night's stars. Then enter in my targets one at a time and it adds them to my Chart and labels them how I have it set to do so - so I get a nice clean and clear map.

The map in the above post is a lot more confusing for me to make actually use of - but not to experienced astronomers. I actually use an artistic eye through geometrical art to determine where to aim my telescope. So if my finder (sights for the telescope) is magnified, I'm useless. Instead I use a laser projected on glass without any magnification, so I can envision the shape i my mind: Stars make up most of the shape and the missing point is where I'll find my prize. Almost every time (to everyone's surprise) I'm spot on! Not always, though.

so much light pollution, we dont see much from my region

One of the parks just north of me was just awarded the International Dark Sky Park award! The bald guy with a beard and glasses on the podeum is my Dad! He's awesome! He continues to purchase easy-to-operate telescopes and night sky equipment for the purpose of letting people who don't have any to borrow them and see (literally) for themselves what the night sky has to offer. He's also very good (calm, patient, thorough) at teaching. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

It's awesome getting that award.  The Brecon Beacons got it a few years back  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21496562

I have to admit I hadn't really realised what a truly dark sky was like till we moved up here (living in the foothills of the Brecon Beacon range)  It is amazing to be able to go out into the back garden and look up and watch "shooting Stars"  when the meteor showers arrive. The Perseids   and the Draconids are the best,   the first because it is nice to watch meteors in Summer,   and the Draconids is extra nice for 2 reasons,  one being that Wales is the land of Dragons,  so we have to watch the dragon meteors. The other reason that makes it special is they arrive a reasonable time of the evening,  instead of after midnight.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

I miss camping by the Murray River looking at the stars

too old now no car and not brave enough to camp in lonely spots

Chohole said:

It's awesome getting that award.  The Brecon Beacons got it a few years back  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21496562

I have to admit I hadn't really realised what a truly dark sky was like till we moved up here (living in the foothills of the Brecon Beacon range)  It is amazing to be able to go out into the back garden and look up and watch "shooting Stars"  when the meteor showers arrive. The Perseids   and the Draconids are the best,   the first because it is nice to watch meteors in Summer,   and the Draconids is extra nice for 2 reasons,  one being that Wales is the land of Dragons,  so we have to watch the dragon meteors. The other reason that makes it special is they arrive a reasonable time of the evening,  instead of after midnight.

The first time I turned Rosie on to a meteor shower (I think it was the Perseids) I pulled out my telescope and showed her how cool Saturn looks. She was in awe.

So we pulled out our chaise lawn chairs, comforter and a pot of coffee, snuggled up and watched the show. Unbeknownst to us, we were treated to Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) before the meteor shower began, and it rose up to fill our entire northern sky before the meteors started streaking through the dancing colors. Twas a magical night indeed! A night we'll never forget!

Then it's good that we have Carrara, right?!!! ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Chohole said:

The first time I turned Rosie on to a meteor shower (I think it was the Perseids) I pulled out my telescope and showed her how cool Saturn looks. She was in awe.

So we pulled out our chaise lawn chairs, comforter and a pot of coffee, snuggled up and watched the show. Unbeknownst to us, we were treated to Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) before the meteor shower began, and it rose up to fill our entire northern sky before the meteors started streaking through the dancing colors. Twas a magical night indeed! A night we'll never forget!

Then it's good that we have Carrara, right?!!! ;)

Aye,   There have been a couple of times when we only had to drive a wee way into the Beacons to see the Northern lights, as we are already at 1200 ft above sea level,  so just needed to get to the other side of the village so no houses in the way.   Like Wendy I won't be doing that again soon, as I decided I couldn't afford to run a car now I am on my own, given the amount of times I would actually use it. 

woww

wouldve loved to have seen that

Living here is a real treat that one really might miss once they move away, but many people take it for granted.

If Northern lights happen, we just need look out the back door to see them. This time of year Rosie steps out back almost every night and say "Hi" to 'her girls', the Pleides (Seven Sisters). I am lucky enough to have a birth mark/batch of freckles... whatever it is, that looks just like the constellation, so she kisses them! Love that!!!

cloud puffs good for choo choo poofs smiley