[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

Comments

• Anyone else have per-edit undo break on Windows with the latest update? The undo history names in the edit menu correctly update on undo/redo, but the actual meshgrabber actions are not undone/redone. The only thing that seems to work is resetting ALL edits and undoing that.

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801

Anyone else have per-edit undo break on Windows with the latest update? The undo history names in the edit menu correctly update on undo/redo, but the actual meshgrabber actions are not undone/redone. The only thing that seems to work is resetting ALL edits and undoing that.

I reported that already, it happens sometimes with some objects, not with everyone, but some sadly :(

• Cool, just found your post. Good to know it's not just me.

OT: How did you make your DAZ interface red?

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Look awesome, gonna purchase, appears would work great with liquid in bottles.  . 

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

I'm having a lot of fun with this product. It's already helped me with several renders. Again, thanks for making this wonderful product.

• Loony said:

Anyone else have per-edit undo break on Windows with the latest update? The undo history names in the edit menu correctly update on undo/redo, but the actual meshgrabber actions are not undone/redone. The only thing that seems to work is resetting ALL edits and undoing that.

I reported that already, it happens sometimes with some objects, not with everyone, but some sadly :(

Hopefully ManFriday has a debug build because for me it's sort of random. I'll be "grabbin' mesh" and then all of a sudden, it stops honoring undo!

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
    Loony said:

Hopefully ManFriday has a debug build because for me it's sort of random. I'll be "grabbin' mesh" and then all of a sudden, it stops honoring undo!

Unfortunately debug builds don't help with issues like these -- they can help with figuring out the cause of a crash but that's not the problem here.

I'm going to have to try and reproduce the problem here in my system, I'll have a look at what Loony posted. If you also have a step-by-step way of reliably reproducing the problem that I can try out here, that would be helpful!

• edited October 2020
    ManFriday said:
    Loony said:

Unfortunately debug builds don't help with issues like these -- they can help with figuring out the cause of a crash but that's not the problem here.

I'm going to have to try and reproduce the problem here in my system, I'll have a look at what Loony posted. If you also have a step-by-step way of reliably reproducing the problem that I can try out here, that would be helpful!

I can reliably reproduce it as follows:

1. In a new scene, I created 2 Genesis 8 figures (may not need to be Genesis 8 or female)

2. I applied some mesh grabber modifications to one of them (rotation or translation)

3. I hit undo (or ctrl+z)

Sometimes it doesn't undo the change and sometimes it applies the undo to the wrong figure (the other one), where the opposite of the modification I just did is applied. It's a fun effect where deltas are inverted, but I don't think intended :)

I tried to reproduce it on new and older scenes with only a single figure and was not able to. Now I'm going over all the multi-figure scenes I edited recently with mesh grabber to find stray edits caused by the bug...

Hopefully that information helps.

Post edited by grimulkan_9cfbd329bc on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    ManFriday said:
    Loony said:

1. In a new scene, I created 2 Genesis 8 figures (may not need to be Genesis 8 or female)

2. I applied some mesh grabber modifications to one of them (rotation or translation)

Sometimes it doesn't undo the change and sometimes it applies the undo to the wrong figure (the other one), where the opposite of the modification I just did is applied. It's a fun effect where deltas are inverted, but I don't think intended :)

I tried to reproduce it on new and older scenes with only a single figure and was not able to. Now I'm going over all the multi-figure scenes I edited recently with mesh grabber to find stray edits caused by the bug...

I tried to reproduce this and was not able to. I tried first with two G8Ms and later with two G8Fs. I applied both translation and rotation to several areas of the body and head of one of the characters. Then I did CTRL+Z until I got back to the base G8F I started with. In both cases (G8M and G8F), undo worked every time and worked properly. 

I am using DS Beta 4.12.2.6 and Mesh Grabber Version : 3.0.1.0 on Windows 10.

• barbult said:
    ManFriday said:
    Loony said:

I tried to reproduce this and was not able to. I tried first with two G8Ms and later with two G8Fs. I applied both translation and rotation to several areas of the body and head of one of the characters. Then I did CTRL+Z until I got back to the base G8F I started with. In both cases (G8M and G8F), undo worked every time and worked properly. 

Strange. I repeated my own steps today with G8M and it did not happen. Then before step 3, I edited the other figure too. Then it happened.

I also restarted and tried with G8F and it was the same as above. Perhaps I was inavertantely editing both yesterday. Does it happen consistently if you edit both & undo?

I'm on 4.12.2.54 but I recall the bug happening in the previous update too. I always kept Mesh Grabber up-to-date but don't remember the lag between Studio updating and Mesh Grabber updating. Maybe there wasn't a problem until I also updated Studio, can't recall.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958

Quick question about the Mesh Grabber Morph Editor. Once I load the morph into Mesh Grabber, can I only use the Mesh Grabber tools to make changes to it? Or would any morph that targets that morph work?

ManFriday said:
    Loony said:

This might be a different problem. I'll investigate this too. Thank you!

edited October 2020

(Double post)

Post edited by ManFriday on
    evacyn said:

Quick question about the Mesh Grabber Morph Editor. Once I load the morph into Mesh Grabber, can I only use the Mesh Grabber tools to make changes to it? Or would any morph that targets that morph work?

I'm not sure I understand the question, especially the "target" part.

When you load an existing morph into Mesh Grabber, it dials the existing morph to 0% but leaves the morph alone otherwise. (The dialing down is done because otherwise the morph deltas would effectively be applied twice to the geometry -- they are active in the Mesh Grabber now, and if the morph was still active, the deltas would all be twice as big). But if you reset the Mesh Grabber and dial the morph up again, everything is like it was before.

Does this answer your question?

barbult said:
    ManFriday said:
    Loony said:

Strange. I repeated my own steps today with G8M and it did not happen. Then before step 3, I edited the other figure too. Then it happened.

I also restarted and tried with G8F and it was the same as above. Perhaps I was inavertantely editing both yesterday. Does it happen consistently if you edit both & undo?

I'm on 4.12.2.54 but I recall the bug happening in the previous update too. I always kept Mesh Grabber up-to-date but don't remember the lag between Studio updating and Mesh Grabber updating. Maybe there wasn't a problem until I also updated Studio, can't recall.

Yes, if I edit both characters with Mesh Grabber, undo misbehaves for me the way you described.

• ManFriday said:
    ManFriday said:
    Loony said:

Thank you for the info! This might be a different problem though. I'll investigate it too.

Thanks. Looks like I was missing a step between 2 and 3: there need to be edits on both characters to trigger the bug. Looks like this is a "redirected undo" bug rather than a "missing undo" bug...

Thanks for confirming barbult!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    ManFriday said:
    Loony said:

Yes, if I edit both characters with Mesh Grabber, undo misbehaves for me the way you described.

Long before Mesh Grabber was released, I noticed that changes to one object, (any object,) would be reflected in any duplicates in the scene. For example, let's say I have two upholstered arm chairs in the scene, duplicates of each other and I want to use shaders on one, but the direction of the fabric is wrong for the arms.

• I use the Geometry Editor Tool and select the polys of the arms of one chair.
    • I then Assign those polygons to a new Surface zone, Arms.
    • Then I reapply my shader and the fabric is now correct.
    • If I look at the duplicate chair in the Tool Settings, with the GeoEdit Tool active, I will see a new material zone, Arms, for the duplicate, but I don't really have any control over those polys.

I've gone through two solutions for this. The first is to only have one object in the scene, make my changes and then add the second object. The second solution, which I now prefer, is to edit the Scene Identification and change the Node Name of the object I'm working on.

In the above example, I would select the chair I wanted to modify, and open the Scene Identification dialog. (Scene Menu > Edit > Scene Identification) For the Node Name, I would then append a modifier, something like _02. Then click on Accept. Now Daz Studio no longers sees those objects as copies of each other, and changes made to one do not affect the other.

I have no idea how much that might muck up the works, however. It has yet to come back and bite me in the backside, though.

Perhaps this bit of info will be helpful to some of you. (Most hopefully to @ManFriday!)

• L'Adair said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    ManFriday said:
    Loony said:

Long before Mesh Grabber was released, I noticed that changes to one object, (any object,) would be reflected in any duplicates in the scene. For example, let's say I have two upholstered arm chairs in the scene, duplicates of each other and I want to use shaders on one, but the direction of the fabric is wrong for the arms.

• I use the Geometry Editor Tool and select the polys of the arms of one chair.
    • I then Assign those polygons to a new Surface zone, Arms.
    • Then I reapply my shader and the fabric is now correct.
    • If I look at the duplicate chair in the Tool Settings, with the GeoEdit Tool active, I will see a new material zone, Arms, for the duplicate, but I don't really have any control over those polys.

I've gone through two solutions for this. The first is to only have one object in the scene, make my changes and then add the second object. The second solution, which I now prefer, is to edit the Scene Identification and change the Node Name of the object I'm working on.

In the above example, I would select the chair I wanted to modify, and open the Scene Identification dialog. (Scene Menu > Edit > Scene Identification) For the Node Name, I would then append a modifier, something like _02. Then click on Accept. Now Daz Studio no longers sees those objects as copies of each other, and changes made to one do not affect the other.

I have no idea how much that might muck up the works, however. It has yet to come back and bite me in the backside, though.

Perhaps this bit of info will be helpful to some of you. (Most hopefully to @ManFriday!)

Can confim that changing the node name to something unique does indeed avoid the issue.

I wonder if in my effort to find the Mesh Grabber undo bug I stumbled on a different (maybe Studio-related) bug.

I can't figure out how to save out morphs I've created as morph assets so that I can use them in other scenes. The info says "See the Documentation." Where is the documentation? Or, can someone please tell me how to do this?

edited October 2020

OK, I very much like creating my own morphs. I'm no expert, but I now have four morphs saved in a scene, and I would very much like to be able to use them in other scenes. I have been searching around. I found some advice about saving as a Support Asset--> Morph Asset. (Right in this Forum.)  I'd want to know where would it be saved in DAZ Studio,though? In what folder or folders? And how would I call these Morph Assets up? (Screen shot will be included.)

Also, here's a problem: When I'm saving a Morph, and also when I look at the Tool Settings Tab, with Mesh Grabber selected, right under the Mesh Grabber name, there's a little Question Mark. Hovering over the Question Mark, I can read Press this button to open Mesh Grabber's PDF Documentation. I have done that a number of times. Nothing happens. No PDF opens up. I'm on a Macintosh Pro, late 2013 model, running Catallina 10.15.7, and using DAZ Studio 4.12.1.118. The version of Mesh Grabber is 3.7.1(2020-09-14). (Screen shot will be included.)

Save support asset as Morph asset.png
    760 x 703 - 561K
    For Documentation.png
    534 x 172 - 42K
    Post edited by inquire on
    edited October 2020
    inquire said:

OK, I very much like creating my own morphs. I'm no expert, but I now have four morphs saved in a scene, and I would very much like to be able to use them in other scenes. I have been searching around. I found some advice about saving as a Support Asset--> Morph Asset. (Right in this Forum.)  I'd want to know where would it be saved in DAZ Studio,though? In what folder or folders? And how would I call these Morph Assets up? (Screen shot will be included.)

Also, here's a problem: When I'm saving a Morph, and also when I look at the Tool Settings Tab, with Mesh Grabber selected, right under the Mesh Grabber name, there's a little Question Mark. Hovering over the Question Mark, I can read Press this button to open Mesh Grabber's PDF Documentation. I have done that a number of times. Nothing happens. No PDF opens up. I'm on a Macintosh Pro, late 2013 model, running Catallina 10.15.7, and using DAZ Studio 4.12.1.118. The version of Mesh Grabber is 3.7.1(2020-09-14). (Screen shot will be included.)

The PDF does have information on how to save your morphs. MF mentioned how to find it in a previous post. I'll see if I can find that post and link it in here.

ETA: The post is in the Morph Editor thread, here, and includes an attached image, as well as a copy of the PDF.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited October 2020
    inquire said:

Save As/Morph Asset will open a dialog that lets you specify where it will be saved as well as other information about the morph. Once you can access the Mesh Grabber manual, you will see instructions and a screenshot of this dialog.

If you can't open the manual from the ?, try just opening it from within Daz Studio with the (on Windows anyway) F1 help shortcut. Sorry, I don't know if the shorcut is the same for Mac.

Mesh Grabber Help.jpg
    219 x 498 - 31K
    Post edited by barbult on

HI: OK, did the search. Found the pdf easily. Have read it. Some questions still remain with me. Basically, about saving as a morph asset and where that folder will be. The pdf says "will be saved into the /data directory that is normally hidden in the Content Library." (screen shot)

OK, will I be able to find that folder just in case I want to trash it, or to delete some of the morphs I made? 

So, is this folder the /data folder that I can see if I look on my HD? (screen shot)

Going on with this: under that data folder I can find a Morphs folder. Is this the folder that the morph assets will be saved into? (screen shot)

Also, in the pdf info, it says "using the 'Vendor Name' and 'Product Name' you have provided." So, for example, if I use the Vendor Name Vertuous, and the Product Name Glorious Morphs, will the folder structure then be the following: /data/ . . . /Morphs/Vertuous/Glorious Morphs?

To summarize: I'd like to save out some morph assets. The pdf info on Mesh Grabber leaves me a little puzzeled about just where they will  be saved. I want to know that in case I later wish to delete the folder or to delete some of those morphs.

pdf info on data directory.png
    764 x 163 - 48K
    In data.png
    322 x 188 - 22K
    Morphs folder.png
    353 x 249 - 24K
    inquire said:

HI: OK, did the search. Found the pdf easily. Have read it. Some questions still remain with me. Basically, about saving as a morph asset and where that folder will be. The pdf says "will be saved into the /data directory that is normally hidden in the Content Library." (screen shot)

OK, will I be able to find that folder just in case I want to trash it, or to delete some of the morphs I made? 

So, is this folder the /data folder that I can see if I look on my HD? (screen shot)

Going on with this: under that data folder I can find a Morphs folder. Is this the folder that the morph assets will be saved into? (screen shot)

Also, in the pdf info, it says "using the 'Vendor Name' and 'Product Name' you have provided." So, for example, if I use the Vendor Name Vertuous, and the Product Name Glorious Morphs, will the folder structure then be the following: /data/ . . . /Morphs/Vertuous/Glorious Morphs?

To summarize: I'd like to save out some morph assets. The pdf info on Mesh Grabber leaves me a little puzzeled about just where they will  be saved. I want to know that in case I later wish to delete the folder or to delete some of those morphs.

Thank goodness! Something to discuss other than the broken store! wink
    Yes, the morphs you save will be in the /data directory in the Asset Directory (content library) that you select on the first line of the Morph Asset(s) Save Options dialog. Yes, they will be saved in a Vertuous/Glorious Morphs folder BUT that folder will be nested along with the other morphs that already exist for that product. They are not always easy to find in the data folder, but once you find them, you can just delete the Vertuous/Glorious Morphs folder or a single morph in the folder. If you save morphs for various products, the saved morphs will be nested along with those various products' existing morphs, not all in one single data/Vertuous/Glorious Morphs folder. This is Daz's doing and has nothing specific to do with Mesh Grabber.

For example, I loaded Boys in the Sun Shorts into my scene and used Mesh Grabber to shorten them and then save a morph named "Shorten". I went to the Parameters pane and dialed the saved morph to 0%, as instructed in the Mesh Grabber PDF. Note that at this point, the "save" only means "make the Mesh Grabber changed into a morph". To save it for later use, the Daz Save As/Support Asset/Morph Asset needs to be used. So I ran that and selected my content library for the Asset Directory and entered barbult as the vendor and Boys in the Sun as the product (doesn't have to match the "real" product name). I saved it. In the content library data directory it is in \data\Fisty and Darc\BoysSun\Boys in the Sun Shorts\Morphs\barbult\Boys in the Sun and is named Shorten.dsf.

OK, thank you so much for answering, barbult. But, at present, Does Mesh Grabber have any morphs? I don't think so. If I do the morphs on a particular G8 male figure, will the morphs be saved along with that figure? I would want the morphs to be available to all the G8 male figures. I realize that this could be the case -- available to all -- even if the morphs were saved along with morphs for a particular G8 male. Is that what you're saying? The morphs would then be saved along with a particular G8 male figure, and they would also be available to all the G8 male figures? Or, are you saying something different from that?

@inquire, In the dialog for saving the morph, you can select which library to save the morphs in. By default, I believe it will choose My Library, which is your library, where things like Scenes are saved to.

Each library has it's own data folder. If you stick with the My Library for your Morph Assets, and use your name as the Artist, (for demonstration purposes, I'll use inquire here,) your morphs will be saved in a location like this one:

• [path]\Studio\My Library\data\Ravenhair\Everyday 1930 for V4\Everyday 1930 Dress G2F\Morphs\inquire\LA Everyday 1930 Style

where [path] is the location of your Daz libraries. This is the actual path for morphs I created for the Everyday 1930 Dress to support it on G2F, with the exception of placing your username in the full path instead of my own. Daz Studio will create the correct path for the morphs within the library you choose, with a bit of help from you by filling in information as necessary.

I hope this helps.

@L'Adair:  OK, I think I see what you're saying here. Except that I won't at this time be making any morphs for a product, such as a hair product. I've made a few morphs on a G8 Male figure. So, where would those morphs be saved? See, that's the question I have above for barbult.

edited November 2020
    inquire said:

OK, thank you so much for answering, barbult. But, at present, Does Mesh Grabber have any morphs? I don't think so. If I do the morphs on a particular G8 male figure, will the morphs be saved along with that figure? I would want the morphs to be available to all the G8 male figures. I realize that this could be the case -- available to all -- even if the morphs were saved along with morphs for a particular G8 male. Is that what you're saying? The morphs would then be saved along with a particular G8 male figure, and they would also be available to all the G8 male figures? Or, are you saying something different from that?

Yes, the morphs you make on a specific G8 male will be available on all G8 males. BUT, they might not look "right", just like if you load Monique 8 and dial in Edie 8 Nose Small, it looks very strange. The morph is there and is usable, but not necessarily useful. It all depends on the morph. You can mix your own saved morphs along with any other morphs.

Monique 8 with Edie 8 Nose Small morph.jpg
    800 x 600 - 141K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited November 2020

@barbult: Right. I get that. But, again, where would such G8 Morphs be saved? Would they be just with morphs for that particular G8 figure, such as The Brute? Or, would they be under

Genesis 8/Male/Morphs/Vertuous/Glorious Morphs? (Screen shot included for example)

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 12.13.24 PM.png
    283 x 291 - 29K
    Post edited by inquire on