When clothes appear as grey cubes, why?

blue6stringblue6string Posts: 60
edited December 1969 in New Users

Why does this happen at times and how do you undo it? If you delete the clothes and add them again to scene/character they come in again as cubes. This seems to happen randomly and just often enough to be annoying...

Comments

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Why does this happen at times and how do you undo it? If you delete the clothes and add them again to scene/character they come in again as cubes. This seems to happen randomly and just often enough to be annoying...

This usually means the geometry files are missing.

Are you getting error messages about missing files when you load them?

Are these V4/M4 clothes being auto fitted to Genesis 1/2? V4/M4 clothes on v4/M4? Genesis clothes on Genesis?

Have you moved or rearranged any directories in you content libraries?

• blue6stringblue6string Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

G2 clothing for G2 character.

It appears after file the anumber of renders may have been made etc... without any swapping in and out of characters etc. I just open the scene and there are cubes.... Most times I can step back to a previous scene but saved as a different file name... and things load fine.

Sometimes I do get a an error message regarding location. But I'm a little confounded as I barely know where those files are and I don't shuffle that stuff.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Have you checked the log file Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

What scene format are these, DAZ or DUF?

edited December 1969

I will try that.... and report back

Always Duf... I didn't know that there a choice to save in another format

edited December 1969

problem gone... the only thing that has changed is that I restarted my computer a few hours back... maybe it's a hardware issue??

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

problem gone... the only thing that has changed is that I restarted my computer a few hours back... maybe it's a hardware issue??

What kind of drives/partitions do you have? What operating system?

I could see it happening if some of the folders are on a separate drive/partition/network storage device that isn't available/has spun down.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I will try that.... and report back

Always Duf... I didn't know that there a choice to save in another format

DAZ is the older format, and is saved a different way. You can't save as DAZ in the newer versions, I was just checking.
    edited December 1969

win8

i have one external dinosaur driver (dont use it anymore)

2 hhd hard drives, and 2 ssd drives...

So should things be where both scenes and program operating system are on comparable drives

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

My guess is that what ever folder they are in is on a drive that is "spinning down"/'sleeping' so when it is being run the cached files can't be found. But restarting/rebooting will clear and repopulate the cache, so will loading in a new scene (same content, different name...different cache 'folder').

This is an OS level problem...so check your timeouts/sleep times in Windows...try "NEVER" for any disk based drives and whatever the SSD manufacturer recommends on all SSDs.

edited December 1969

Aww...makes sense! Thanks for the answer you are spot on....