Help restoring a corrupted G8F base figure

Handspan StudiosHandspan Studios Posts: 175

Hi, hope somebody has the answer to this one or can understand the question the way I am phrasing it, any help deeply appreciated.

My g8f base figure now has extra "eyes closed" pose on it, permanently (see attached image at full size, note dial value.) Her eyes are perfectly closed now at a value of .80 rather than 1.0. I think I accidentally "memorized" the base figure with a little of this pose in it. Trouble is reinstalling the figure does not fix it. I am thinking if you memorize a figure it must put the information somewhere that is not overwritten when you reinstall. Can anybody tell me where that information is stored so I can go fix it?

I don't want to have to reinstall the whole program and I am not even sure it wouldn't have the same issue reinstalling the figure did, if that custom information is stored someplace else I expect it will helpfully migrate it with my other settings.

PS. I can't just dial the pose back and re memorize because it won't allow minus values even with limits off.

I really wish that future versions of DS would have a warning come up when you accidentally hit "memorize" (it's right next to something useful so I hit it from time to time without meaning to) that says "warning, do you really want to fuggle your figure forever?" or some such ;-). I have seen other people have this problem and have not seen an answer yet.

Ingrid

default_eyes100%.jpg
1334 x 844 - 377K
Post edited by Handspan Studios on

Comments

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

Load a fresh scene with just G8F. 

Click the gear icon at the top left of the corrupted parameters. Change the default value for each from 100 percent to zero.

Then go to file - save as - support assets - save modified assets.

Hopefully this will fix the problem, unless there are other parameters set to non-zero default. 

• Handspan StudiosHandspan Studios Posts: 175
    edited December 2019

No but thank you for trying. I am not saying that the default is 100%, I am saying that if I set the "eyes closed" pose to 100% her eyelids are crashing into eachother by about .20. This is a problem if you make characters, your eyelids have to close perfectly and my base figure is now messed up such that I can't. I need to get the default back.

As I explained I think I messed it up by memorizing the figure (accidentally) with eyes closed pose on it to a value of .20 or 20%. I can't just dial it back for a couple reasons but let's say the important one is I need it to be the exact default and not my estimated .20. Also try to open the eyes by using eyes closed at minus values and you will see that I cannot dial back that particular pose, it doesn't go less than zero.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

You could try going to data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Base Pose Head and opening up eCTRLEyesClosed.dsf in notepad. see if the "value" is set to something other than 0, if it is, change it to 0 and save it

edited December 2019

No but thank you for trying. I am not saying that the default is 100%, I am saying that if I set the "eyes closed" pose to 100% her eyelids are crashing into eachother by about .20. This is a problem if you make characters, your eyelids have to close perfectly and my base figure is now messed up such that I can't. I need to get the default back.

As I explained I think I messed it up by memorizing the figure (accidentally) with eyes closed pose on it to a value of .20 or 20%. I can't just dial it back for a couple reasons but let's say the important one is I need it to be the exact default and not my estimated .20. Also try to open the eyes by using eyes closed at minus values and you will see that I cannot dial back that particular pose, it doesn't go less than zero.

The eyes closed has the upper limits set at 125%, so perhaps that’s how things got messed up? I always reset the upper limits to 100 before I make the eyes closed corrective morphs. 

If you memorized it, can you not look at the default values and see what they are set to when you load g8f? If they are non-zero you can reset them to zero. 

Alternatively you could reinstall the g8 starter essentials. If it’s not a custom morph that you have linked to the eyes then I think that ought to fix the problem.

If it’s the character morphs or eye correctives that are triggering on the default g8f then you would need to set them to default of zero and correctly set up the links .

Post edited by Redz on
    edited December 2019

"If you memorized it, can you not look at the default values and see what they are set to when you load g8f? If they are non-zero you can reset them to zero."

No, the dials show as zero but the effect is not zero. Because of the way eyes closed is you cannot set it to minus values either. Running a search for eyes in the G8 female character file got no results, perhaps that would not be the right wording I can't think of any other. There is some bones stuff Leyelid inner and so on but I don't know if it's at default values or not, I think so? I have a "lEyelidLower_2" right after with another number and it looks like a likely culprit but before I chop this character file up I was hoping somebody could confirm that this is what I ought to be doing?

"Alternatively you could reinstall the g8 starter essentials."

I have done that 3 times, I think the memorized information must be stored somplace else becauser that doesn't work. What I am trying to find out is where the program stores memorization info. Is it in the character file, how does the program know to add these changes, would it be easier to find the gremlin if I could look there as opposed to going through this character file guessing and then I expect it will add it in the next time I reinstall her again.

"f it’s the character morphs or eye correctives that are triggering on the default g8f then you would need to set them to default of zero and correctly set up the links ."

No character morphs, default G8female. Possibly what got memorized is a change to the bones rather than an eye pose. I still don't know how to fix it though to get default back. It works out as 20% extra eyes closed but it could be I accidentally memorized a face rig change. Since I don't know exactly when or how it happened I am not sure.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

When you say that the dials show as zero, does that include hidden properties as well?

edited December 2019

I can't get any hidden properties to show, could be I just don't know how. Here's a render of parameter dial, eyes are closed at .80. A second render showing the face bones, I am not sure which is the thing messed up. I tried reinstall again, deleted the old files first and still have the problem. Someplace there is a temp file or something that this problem info lives in...

If I click unhide nothing changes.

parameterseyesclosed80.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 579K
    bones.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 572K
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited December 2019

I'm a little confused, Handspan. You said in the previous post that "the dials show as zero but the effect is not zero". Yet, in the first screenshot attached to your last post, the Eyes Closed slider is set to 80%. If that is the way that the figure loaded, then they are obviously not zeroed. I believe the parameter settings dialogue may be misdirecting you. If you are focusing on the Default setting of 0%, that may be causing you to overlook the fact that the Value setting, which is the important one, is set to 80% - that is why the figure is loading as it does. The Value must be changed to zero and the changes saved, which should solve your issue. If you follow Redz' instructions for saving in their first post, I believe that should do it.

Post edited by SixDs on
    edited December 2019

When you load the base G8F does she look normal or are her eyes partially closed?

In the parameters pane, if you select the drop down menu at the top corner you should be able to check ‘show hidden properties’ then scroll down to see if there is another hidden eye morph activating when you dial up eyes closed. This is usually the problem- a character eyes closed corrective that’s only supposed to kick in when the character is dialled up, incorrectly applies even on the base character. The fact that reinstalling g8f doesn’t correct the problem supports the chances that this is a different morph saved elsewhere applying incorrectly. 

If the problem is only when you close the eyes and not on the base loaded g8f, you might be able to see if there’s an offending morph in the currently used tab. If it’s something that’s loading with the base g8f, if may be more difficult to isolate. 

Post edited by Redz on
    edited December 2019

" If that is the way that the figure loaded, then they are obviously not zeroed."

No, that is not the way the figure loaded! Sorry if I am presenting this in a confusing way I am trying to be clear. I set it that way to show that the degree of eyes closed is not the default. They are closed perfectly at this value 80 rather than 100 which is where they should be perfectly closed. They load with dial showing zero (but you can't see in a screen capture that anything is wrong because 20% closed doen't look like much different.) I am trying to show the problem so you can see it.

I am fairly confident that I know what the problem is, does anybody know where the memorization information is stored?

"If the problem is only when you close the eyes and not on the base loaded g8f"
    It is on the base G8 female. There is no morph active.

‘show hidden properties’
    does not show anything, the program while hiding something doesn't seem to know that it is. It is a possibility I hadn't thought much about though, it could be in this realm, I will remove all my hidden eye closed mcms and see what happens.

• Thank you so much Redz, :) you were right, it was an mcm that was the culprit. I must just not have been finding the right thing trying to see hidden properties, I thought I was seeing it.

Thank you so much Redz, :) you were right, it was an mcm that was the culprit. I must just not have been finding the right thing trying to see hidden properties, I thought I was seeing it.

Glad you got to the cause of the problem. These things can be so frustrating! 

• Yes, thank you again for patiently coming back and helping. :) It was my early efforts, a script of mine. I am going to follow a tutorial Chloe made me and try to fix them tonight.