Timeline: dForce vs Animation

There are two reasons why I would use the timeline in DAZ Studio: dForce simulation and animation. However, I'm wondering about how to use both in the same scene. What complicates things is that I use the same scene for stills and then again as a base for the animation. So I create the still and use the timeline for dForce simulation. Then when I want to use that as the base for an animation, the timeline is already occupied with keyframes which are not necessarily wanted in the animation.

So, back to the frequently asked question: how to I clear the timeline of the dForce animation stuff so that I can start fresh with the animation? The way I am doing it now is to save the scene twice and use one for dForce and the other for animation but I am often cursing myself for forgetting to do that or deciding to animate the scene after I've already "spoiled" it with dForce simulation.

Comments

• save bits as scene subset,

I do that with the figure and different simulated clothing's 
    you can just load and hide that figure to reuse the simulated clothing when you need it too and even coliide it against the one visible in scene.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 2019

save bits as scene subset,

I do that with the figure and different simulated clothing's 
    you can just load and hide that figure to reuse the simulated clothing when you need it too and even coliide it against the one visible in scene.

Yes, thinking about it, I have done that too. I guess I'm just frustrated that there seems to be no way to just clear the timeline and start with the original scene with zero frames. I would have though that would be such a basic requirement. I was hoping that with 4.12 and the new timeline, it might now be possible.

Post edited by marble on

Oh dear, how bad is my memory?

I now recall this neat little script ... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4801276/#Comment_4801276

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

It's easy to forget about a mcjcasual script, I mean he only gave us like 72 milion of them lol.

edited December 2019

Turns out that the script does remove the keyframes but there are some unwelcome lingering consequences. Firstly the cloth simulation is still there if you scrub along the timeline even though the keyframes are not marked. Secondly, the poses and morphs seem to be fixed when the timeline animation was created for that scene. The effect of this is that parameter dials are greyed out as though they are at default settings but they are not at original defaults. So using the Alt-key with a click on the parameter value doesn't return it to the normal default value (usually zero).

All in all, it seems it is not a good idea to try to use a scene with any kind of timeline activity as the basis for the next scene. Something I do all the time when I don't use the timeline.

Post edited by marble on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 2019
    marble said:

There are two reasons why I would use the timeline in DAZ Studio: dForce simulation and animation. However, I'm wondering about how to use both in the same scene. What complicates things is that I use the same scene for stills and then again as a base for the animation. So I create the still and use the timeline for dForce simulation. Then when I want to use that as the base for an animation, the timeline is already occupied with keyframes which are not necessarily wanted in the animation.

So, back to the frequently asked question: how to I clear the timeline of the dForce animation stuff so that I can start fresh with the animation? The way I am doing it now is to save the scene twice and use one for dForce and the other for animation but I am often cursing myself for forgetting to do that or deciding to animate the scene after I've already "spoiled" it with dForce simulation.

I am working on a animation using deforce for the ballet costume , its a Ballet animation with a very flowy skirt and dynamic bodysuite .

I start by building my main character with the deforce outfit & first turn off everything visible to simulation that you do not want to interact with the deforce items, like hands fingures, props that would make the outfit blow apart during simulation. and save it as your main go to character you can load for each new scene you build for your animated story.

Now take your character and create your animation with nothing else in the scene but the character and the deforce outfit and hair  your using &  once your happy with your animation bake it to the timeline to lock it in,  now save it the scene and then your ready run your deforce simulation for the character oncce you have your animation cycle baked into the timeline. once you have everything deforce created and animated with your simulation again done bake that to the timeline as well  & start adding in your environment and props next.  it a huge time saver and helps to build your environment set up as a sub scene first that can be reloaded  and then you can just load it into the character scene when your done simulating deforce items.

So far I have 4 scenes  20 to 25 seconds long each scene there will be 8 - 20 to 25 second long or around 650 keyframes each totally :148 seconds of film  in this animated short going by my story board.   I usually just make short 4 to 10 second scene when using deforce  But i am making  a animation of "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" and the winter scene I used for the stage is pretty big and the dance requires the character to dance on her toes all over the scene so that s why I made each scene so many keyframes this time ..

I am building and simulating deforce in Daz 4.12 . But I am rendering the final scene in daz 4.10 because its much faster less CPU drop back and crashes when rendering.

here is a screen shot of my my next scene ready to be sent over for rendering

Capture.JPG
    1913 x 1048 - 279K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 2019
    Ivy said:
    marble said:

I am working on a animation using deforce for the ballet costume , its a Ballet animation with a very flowy skirt and dynamic bodysuite .

I start by building my main character with the deforce outfit & first turn off everything visible to simulation that you do not want to interact with the deforce items, like hands fingures, props that would make the outfit blow apart during simulation. and save it as your main go to character you can load for each new scene you build for your animated story.

Now take your character and create your animation with nothing else in the scene but the character and the deforce outfit and hair  your using &  once your happy with your animation bake it to the timeline to lock it in,  now save it the scene and then your ready run your deforce simulation for the character oncce you have your animation cycle baked into the timeline. once you have everything deforce created and animated with your simulation again done bake that to the timeline as well  & start adding in your environment and props next.  it a huge time saver and helps to build your environment set up as a sub scene first that can be reloaded  and then you can just load it into the character scene when your done simulating deforce items.

So far I have 4 scenes  20 to 25 seconds long each scene there will be 8 - 20 to 25 second long or around 650 keyframes each totally :148 seconds of film  in this animated short going by my story board.   I usually just make short 4 to 10 second scene when using deforce  But i am making  a animation of "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" and the winter scene I used for the stage is pretty big and the dance requires the character to dance on her toes all over the scene so that s why I made each scene so many keyframes this time ..

I am building and simulating deforce in Daz 4.12 . But I am rendering the final scene in daz 4.10 because its much faster less CPU drop back and crashes when rendering.

Thanks for the detail in your explanation. I might be misunderstanding, however, because I am not seeing how your method avoids the dForce animation remaining on the timeline when you wish to animate the scene further. For example, you might wish to render that scene again with the characters moved around somehow - like a continuation.  I guess it doesn't apply to your workflow as you are creating one animation therefore just one scene. My issue is using the scene for the next iteration of a storyline or use that scene as the basis for another animation. In these cases I am stuck with the dForce animation in the timeline with no way to clear it. The clear animation options tend to reset characters and morphs to zero (the nuclear option).

As mentioned, all I can come up with is trying to remember to save another copy of the scene *before* I start dForce animations. Or to drape the clothing on a character in a separate scene-subset and merge her into the main scene, ready draped. But does that sub-scene contain the dForce animation? I need to check that.

Post edited by marble on
    edited December 2019
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:

Thanks for the detail in your explanation. I might be misunderstanding, however, because I am not seeing how your method avoids the dForce animation remaining on the timeline when you wish to animate the scene further. For example, you might wish to render that scene again with the characters moved around somehow - like a continuation.  I guess it doesn't apply to your workflow as you are creating one animation therefore just one scene. My issue is using the scene for the next iteration of a storyline or use that scene as the basis for another animation. In these cases I am stuck with the dForce animation in the timeline with no way to clear it. The clear animation options tend to reset characters and morphs to zero (the nuclear option).

As mentioned, all I can come up with is trying to remember to save another copy of the scene *before* I start dForce animations. Or to drape the clothing on a character in a separate scene-subset and merge her into the main scene, ready draped. But does that sub-scene contain the dForce animation? I need to check that.

Its a little complicated to explain . But once you have your first deforce items simulation completed,  turn off the visabliltiy of those Items simulation under the display tab. and then load your next character & deforce item into your scene.  By turning off the simulation of your first deforce item it will still keep its deforce morphs simulation you just created and but turning it off keeps from clearing or resimulating the first item over again &  will be able to simulate a new 2nd item without messing up the first one you did .  when ready to render, just bake everything, The characters, the deforce items and animated props to the timeline most deforce clothing bakes to the timeline fine and save before rendering in case daz has a crash.(which is 90% of the time with daz 4.12)  that way you can just reload the scene without having to go through all that work again .

Post edited by Ivy on
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:

Once you have your first deforce items simulation completed,  turn off the visabliltiy of those Items simulation under the display tab. and then load your next character & deforce item into your scene.  By turning off the simulation of your first deforce item it will still keep its deforce morphs simulation you just created and but turning it off kees you from clearing or resimulating the same item over again But you will be able to simulate a new item without messing it up once you turn off the simulation  of the first item. and when I am ready to ready I bake everything characters deforce items and animated props to the timeline and save before rendering in case daz has a crash I can just reload the scene without having to go through all that work again .

Again, we are missing the issue. I'm not concerned with saving the dForce simulation - in fact I want the opposite. I want a clean timeline after simulation. Turning off visibility does not remove the timeline frames. I use the "visible in simulation" option all the time with dForce along with freezing the simulation of some while allowing others to simulate. I also use the option to clear the simulation data for one item without affecting other dForce items in the scene.

So to re-state my issue - all I want is a way to clean the timeline without resorting to the nuclear option of resetting the pose, morph, etc. to zero. What you are describing is baking to the timeline which is actually the opposite of what I need. Sorry to have been so poor at explaining.

edited December 2019

my mistatke i  I mis understood you.

I always clean the animation of deforce by hitting the the clear tab under the simulation setting, and Iclear the timeline animation by using the clear animation tab  found under the timeline settings in the top right hand Corner of the timeline,  to delete animation for selected, characters parts or bones or selcected defroce items animated on the timeline,   I found it easiest to just select or, hightlight the item you need to clear the animation for on right on the dopesheet of the timelineand delete the selected keyframes of the animation manaully.  it usually will clear any deforce animation as well..   But yea once you have bake your animation to the timline there is no going back, when you bake your animation your pretty much done with it on the timeline.  you can make some minor edits or add to the scene.  but baked items tend to be a real pain to clear. you have to go 1 bone at a time delete things manually off the timeline line by line off the dopesheet

Post edited by Ivy on
  • What are you wanting - just to bake the fnal simulated shape to a morph, clearing everything else? But then if you animate the figure it will merrily poke through the clothing a it moves.

Ivy said:

... and I clear the timeline animation by using the clear animation tab  found under the timeline settings in the top right hand Corner of the timeline,

And that is my problem - that doesn't seem to work for me. Clearing animation is that nuclear option I mentioned earlier - it destroys all the hard work done with adjusting morphs and poses. I want to have the scene as at frame zero, including all morphs and poses, but an empty timeline. This is a really old problem and there are other threads I've been reminded of as I have been searching.

What are you wanting - just to bake the fnal simulated shape to a morph, clearing everything else? But then if you animate the figure it will merrily poke through the clothing a it moves.

No - all I want to do is as I described in my previous post: clear the timeline. A major plus would be the ability to select a frame and create a scene from that frame without bringing in the rest of the timeline too. Another option would be a scene-subset which ignores the timeline but that too, at the moment, keeps all of the timeline frames with the Scene Subset.

edited December 2019
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

... and I clear the timeline animation by using the clear animation tab  found under the timeline settings in the top right hand Corner of the timeline,

And that is my problem - that doesn't seem to work for me. Clearing animation is that nuclear option I mentioned earlier - it destroys all the hard work done with adjusting morphs and poses. I want to have the scene as at frame zero, including all morphs and poses, but an empty timeline. This is a really old problem and there are other threads I've been reminded of as I have been searching.

It must be on your end . If I need to clear the whole complete timeline . go to edit on top of daz studio. scroll down to  and select Object or Figure  on the fly-out menu scroll down  & select clear animation, then another fly-out menu will appear and you can select all items from there or just selected items, 

when I use the clear animation from the timeline setting tab . its has the same  fly-out menu as under the edit tab. with the same options for how to handle what is cleared.  &  if i want quick complete clear of all the keyframes off the timeline.  I use the animate2 timeline ,select all the keyframes and delete them manually by right clicking the top of the animate2 timeline and select delete.  it has never removed my morphs or characters settings that I remember . But unexplained things do happen time to time, that is one of the reasons I make a master character or duplicate scene left blank of animation in case I do have to start over, been there done that got the members card. 

But mostly if you just highlight the keyframes you want removed  That has always worked for me.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • not sure if this works in DAZ studio with aniblocks but in Carrara if I create an animation group of everything then create an NLA clip I can make it completely clear the timeline transferring the animation to the clip, I have never tried it in DAZ studio with a group, its something I should try, like an animated hirearchial pose, possibly one could even create a hierarchical pose animation to do it too before animating and simulating.

Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

It must be on your end . If I need to clear the whole complete timeline . go to edit on top of daz studio. scroll down to  and select Object or Figure  on the fly-out menu scroll down  & select clear animation, then another fly-out menu will appear and you can select all items from there or just selected items, 

when I use the clear animation from the timeline setting tab . its has the same  fly-out menu as under the edit tab. with the same options for how to handle what is cleared.  &  if i want quick complete clear of all the keyframes off the timeline.  I use the animate2 timeline ,select all the keyframes and delete them manually by right clicking the top of the animate2 timeline and select delete.  it has never removed my morphs or characters settings that I remember . But unexplained things do happen time to time, that is one of the reasons I make a master character or duplicate scene left blank of animation in case I do have to start over, been there done that got the members card. 

But mostly if you just highlight the keyframes you want removed  That has always worked for me.

Sorry, but none of this works for me.

None of the options clear the animation timeline. Clear Selected clears the morphs back to a base G3/G8/whatever as does Clear Figure or Clear Shape. Clear pose does nothing to the timeline - the keyframes remain in place. As for Animate 2 - I don't use that. No use for aniblocks and none of the frames that were created in the 4.12 timeline appear on the Animate 2 timeline (I believe this was the same with KeyMate which I use with pre-4.12).

edited December 2019

You mean the clear simulation button doesn't clear the draping?

What I have found to work best to clear keys from a figure for a new amination. In the timeline select somthing other than your character you want to clear, then select the figure(No idea why I have to do this, but the next part does nothing when I don't do that. Found by accident). Then right click on the figure in timeline, and select > select all item keys filtered. Right click again and delete selected keys(delete key wont do anything but make you angry and press ctrl z to get your figure back in the scene lol. I know this but keep doing it over and over). Then I have to go push the clear simulation button on clothes/hair. Deleting the keys doesn't get rid of the sim data for some reason. Then I am ready for the next sequence.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • So what happens if you use mouse-dragbox on the time-line to select keys so they turn yellow (or whatever your selction color scheme is) and then right click and "delete selected Keys"?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2019
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

None of the options clear the animation timeline. Clear Selected clears the morphs back to a base G3/G8/whatever as does Clear Figure or Clear Shape. Clear pose does nothing to the timeline - the keyframes remain in place. As for Animate 2 - I don't use that. No use for aniblocks and none of the frames that were created in the 4.12 timeline appear on the Animate 2 timeline (I believe this was the same with KeyMate which I use with pre-4.12).

First memorize figure/memorize selected items on the frame you want to keep. Then move to frame 0, clear animation/clear figure and/or clear selected items, restore figure/selected items. As for removing the dForce stuff, if clear simulation doesn't do the trick, select the dForce item, remove the dynamic surface from edit/figure/geometry.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    TheKD said:

What I have found to work best to clear keys from a figure for a new amination. In the timeline select somthing other than your character you want to clear, then select the figure(No idea why I have to do this, but the next part does nothing when I don't do that. Found by accident). Then right click on the figure in timeline, and select > select all item keys filtered. Right click again and delete selected keys(delete key wont do anything but make you angry and press ctrl z to get your figure back in the scene lol. I know this but keep doing it over and over). Then I have to go push the clear simulation button on clothes/hair. Deleting the keys doesn't get rid of the sim data for some reason. Then I am ready for the next sequence.

Magic!

Your way works. Select All Item Keys - Filtered. Thank you!

So what happens if you use mouse-dragbox on the time-line to select keys so they turn yellow (or whatever your selction color scheme is) and then right click and "delete selected Keys"?

More magic ... I really should have thought of this one. But it works too. Thank you too.

marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

First memorize figure/memorize selected items on the frame you want to keep. Then move to frame 0, clear animation/clear figure and/or clear selected items, restore figure/selected items. As for removing the dForce stuff, if clear simulation doesn't do the trick, select the dForce item, remove the dynamic surface from edit/figure/geometry.

I've been playing with memorize for another reason but couldn't get it to memorize figure translations. It turns out that it will only memorize hip translations and I really try to avoid hip translations/rotations because they cause havoc with animations.

marble said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

I've been playing with memorize for another reason but couldn't get it to memorize figure translations. It turns out that it will only memorize hip translations and I really try to avoid hip translations/rotations because they cause havoc with animations.

First, glad you got it to work! Second, I'm still on 4.9 so not sure if things have changed, but memorize figure should memorize all the morphs/changes to the shape as well as the pose, including the root figure. So not sure why it doesn't work for you.

marble said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

First, glad you got it to work! Second, I'm still on 4.9 so not sure if things have changed, but memorize figure should memorize all the morphs/changes to the shape as well as the pose, including the root figure. So not sure why it doesn't work for you.

It seems to memorize everything except the XYZ translations. So, for example, I wanted to use dForce "Start from Memorized" so I pose the figure and saved the pose then selected a different pose and then used Y Translate to lift the figure a couple of feet off the ground. I memorized that pose as the starting pose. When it came to running the simulation, it started from the memorized pose but she wasn't lifted off the ground. I figured out that if I used the Hip Translation to lift her, then the simulation started from where she had been lifted to as I wanted.

TheKD said:

nice trick thanks for sharing it :)

Glad to share my aha moments lol.

marble said:
    marble said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

It seems to memorize everything except the XYZ translations. So, for example, I wanted to use dForce "Start from Memorized" so I pose the figure and saved the pose then selected a different pose and then used Y Translate to lift the figure a couple of feet off the ground. I memorized that pose as the starting pose. When it came to running the simulation, it started from the memorized pose but she wasn't lifted off the ground. I figured out that if I used the Hip Translation to lift her, then the simulation started from where she had been lifted to as I wanted.

That's really odd. I use 4.7, 4.9 and 4.10 public beta, and memorize figure or memorize figure pose works perfectly in all of them, I just tested to be sure. The root node translations are saved along with everything else. So I'm wondering if this is a bug with the "updated" timeline thingy?

edited December 2019
    marble said:
    marble said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

That's really odd. I use 4.7, 4.9 and 4.10 public beta, and memorize figure or memorize figure pose works perfectly in all of them, I just tested to be sure. The root node translations are saved along with everything else. So I'm wondering if this is a bug with the "updated" timeline thingy?

So I just saw a mentioning that zero pose indeed removes all the morphs and resets the shape to the default figure (DS 4.12). This seems totally wrong to me and I consider it to be a bug. Should be reported.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/373166/clear-pose-restore-pose-zero-pose#latest

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • marble said:
    marble said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

So I just saw a mentioning that zero pose indeed removes all the morphs and resets the shape to the default figure (DS 4.12). This seems totally wrong to me and I consider it to be a bug. Should be reported.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/373166/clear-pose-restore-pose-zero-pose#latest

Did you actually confirm that it was an issue?

marble said:
    marble said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:
    marble said:
    Ivy said:

Did you actually confirm that it was an issue?

Well I saw your reply in the thread I linked to in the commons. Don't know what to say. I myself have no issues with DS 4.7, 4.9 or 4.10 beta. I have no reason to believe that experienced users make such mistakes, but it is of course possible, been there done that:) For example this post by marble is puzzling, to say the least:

marble said:

At least I know now that there are no major updates to the way these things should work in the latest build, and I have no intention to upgrade myself, so I'll leave it to others to file a ticket if they can't get it to work properly.