Help with seams

So I finally feel comfortable making my own skin textures. I have been using photoshop to paint out the textures using pictures but the issue I run in is with the seams. What software/method would I need to use to combat them. I would prefer this solution not be a workaround but an actual solution to my problem

Comments

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 163

If your colors match, the seams shouldnt be visible.

If you mean for fantasy textures (scales and what not) just be mindful of the seams and dont cross with textures.

Otherwise 3d texture painters like in Blender, perhaps in Photoshop, Substance painter, where you can paint over seams on the actual model are going to be your go to.

Less you deal with UV map editing,

or creating some sort of fullbody UV as a mockup template to transfer new layers to parts on the default UV maps, still being mindful of alignment to hide seams. 

Unless anyone else has better ideas.

• Think of working with uvmaps as 'sewing' ... seams require a 'seam allowance' or "buffer zone" ... it is the nature of how the modelers read the uvmaps that the uv templates are made the way they are. In use though with morphs and displacements the seams do a little wiggling around so yes we all need to add some matching texture colour into that buffer zone. Good idea to avoid putting tattoos etc over seams.

• Say if you are trying to paint scales . Wouldn't that necessitate having the patterns criss crossing over uv maps. How would one go about making the texture maps then??

• Thanks for the responses by the way.

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 163
    edited December 2019

Say if you are trying to paint scales . Wouldn't that necessitate having the patterns criss crossing over uv maps. How would one go about making the texture maps then??

If you look closely at alot of artists scales they have added scale accents (a patch on the arms, a patch on the thighs, some on the chest, and face) vs a full hard line textured body.

If they go full textured then they commonly use a texture so small or layer dense that the seam just mushes together in a blur camoflaging itself. They may make a shader and create UVs from it. They also may use a seamless texture or very repetative pattern as an overlay and rotate the texture till it matches the opposing seam or stamp over the seam. 

For a hard line seam you could use a UV map as a template. It has the geometry's edge lines as a guide. Where one ends the other begins.

With a 3d painter, (I recommend trying Blender's texture painter as free version for starting https://www.blender.org/ ), you can seal the seems by painting on the figure. 

Some "bad" (wrongful) artist will show you full body textures but hide the seams in promos with clothing items or behind props.

If they are "good" they will take the time to align the images.

Theres alot of different ways about most this stuff, it comes down to inspiration, knowledge, problem solving, tools, skills, time, a ton of determination and effort.  Dont get discouraged. 

Post edited by TDBAGZ on
  • Cheers man much appreciated

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,318

Some artists also use software which enables you to paint over the seams.

• Scales ... well, if this is a one time concept, make a VERY large uvmap [4096 or larger] so you can see all the lines very well because you'll have to match the work one side of the seam to the other. Tiling textures in the image editor may help, and make also a brush of them to help smooth over some areas. You can paint with textures ;-)

If this is a project to be repeated, seriously consider purchasing some program that paints 3D models.

• Thanks a bunch. I looked around and it seems I may have to invest in a 3d painting program at some point. That's something for when I have some more meat in my wallet then.