force daz to want to reinstall products by taking away existing folder?

some how my Daz3d library has gotten some corrupted or non compatilbe morphs that mess up my gen3 female characters. 
---
fortunately since I've controlled where DIM puts stuff the My Daz3d Library is on the the C drive with only 20.2 g of data, 121,127 files and 17,759 folders.
the other terabyte of data is on an external so don't have to deal with that. 
---
If I take the library folder away will DIM realize and give me the missing items as ready to install? Which somehow I have doubts of. 
So next question would be is it possible to get DIM to list the products by the folder they're installed in? So all I have to do is check a 1000 products to uninstall 
or do I have to go through and use the tooltip to find where they are and then install them one at a time? 
---
could I take the library folder out, take out DIM and Daz Pro...  then reinstall them? would them force them to say "OMG there's nothing in this folder I need to have this stuff reinstalled? 

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

No, DIM usesthe manifest files to determine what has been installed and where.

• Rob has provided a detailed reply to this:

Install Manager does not monitor the existence of files, but it can be used to determine whether or not a file exists in the location that Install Manager placed a file. First, to filter the Installed list to show only those packages that were installed to a specific path, you can use Install Manager's Advanced Filtering ( http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_field/advanced_filtering ) abilities to cull the list of any packages that do not meet the specified criteria. In your case, you want to use the "path" scope selector ( http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_field/advanced_filtering#path ). Copy/Paste

path::rx::ci::^C:/.*$

into the Filter Field. Once you have done this, the Installed list should only display packages that were installed to the C drive. At this point you can either check the "Products" top-level item (which causes all of its child items to become checked), right-click and choose to Re-Install Packages > All Selected (aka "the easy way")... OR, you can right-click a listed package and choose to Show Installed Files... in which case you can inspect the resultant file list for any entries that are not a blue hyperlink to know whether or not a file is no longer where it was installed and then Re-Install the individual package as appropriate.

• remember when I had the problem with the g3 females distorting when posed that happened int 412 pro but not in the beta .. 
    the beta was never linked on line. the pro was, and somehow the difference between working on or off line changed the way the program searched for data 
    thus pro looked at two librarys and the beta only at one.
    ---
    when I syncronized the librarys and got the path down to only one..  it also corrupted both librarys 
    ---- so now I have figure out which product was causing it, so will have to put them back in a few at a time. 
    ---
    but with your data above and least I can uninstall them in one action, 
    thank you. 

• remember when I had the problem with the g3 females distorting when posed that happened int 412 pro but not in the beta .. 
    the beta was never linked on line. the pro was, and somehow the difference between working on or off line changed the way the program searched for data 
    ---
    when I syncronized the librarys and got the path down to only one..  it also corrupted both librarys 
    ---- so now I have figure out which product was causing it, so will have to put them back in a few at a time. 
    ---
    thank you.

More likely diffrences in the content directories were to blame - different folders, or just listed in a different order.

• I'm down to one folder and the problem hit the beta where it wasn't happening. 
    I've never installed anything to the library .. only dim has 
    But I imagine I'll find it somewhere along the rebuild.. 
    As I mentioned the characters I created in 411 in august were fine, but when I opened them later in 412 they were broken.. so it had to have been a recent install of something that caused it. 

---
    ---
    thank you.

More likely diffrences in the content directories were to blame - different folders, or just listed in a different order.

the directory public>my daz 3d library had 6g
    the directory public>Daz 3d>studio>my 3d library had 15 g 
    the directory bard>Daz 3d>studio>my 3d library had 13 g 
    ----
    the Beta which was not logged in only looked at the first one and didn't hit the "bad" data
    ---
    now what I have one 22 g .. the bad data is found by all.
    ----
    before I do this mass unstall*
    I'm going to copy the "my daz library" off to a backup drive
    do I need to back up the manifest files also? 
    ---
    the goal is if something really goes weird that I can just put the slightly boogled stuff back in.
    ---
    *you can bet your mass that something will go wrong 
    ----
    thanks
    ---
    had to input this twice. Why do the forums log you out overnight while the sales part will keep you logged in forever? Okay, cause they don't have the potential to make money off this part. 
    But annoying ..  I input then tried to post and nothing...  tried again. and nope...  And the system logs out a page... Why not close the page or post a message. The server on my game takes great joy is saying You were inactive too long we logged you out. 

• The DIM Manifests have the exact locations (including drive and full path) for the isntalled files. If you move stuff you'd probably want to select things in the Installed tab of DIM, right-click, and choose the option to reinstall using the current isntall path (assuming that is where the files are).

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,113
    edited December 2019

not going to move..  copy...  I already backed the entire My Daz 3d library off. 
    and will now do all the manifest files and I suppose everything connect with DIM. 
    then I will use dim to un install reinstall Install stuff from the my daz library. 
    ----
    I know the "problem" has to reside somewhere in that folder. Because beta still worked until it was directed to look at it.
    ----
    but basically, I want to have everything on a backup disk so that if the uninstall reinstall etc gets really wonky .. I can just stick things back the way they were. 
    ---
    what I have discovered is the content manager/content library knows what is in the folders I point it at to add new directories .. It doesn't care whether DIM and the manifest files think and item is installed on G or H ... it looks at the folder it's directed too, DIM only remembers where stuff was installed and never checks for where it's installed .. 
    although it's strange it will uninstall something from the G drive even though it thinks it's on the H drive .. the result is it does the uninstall but with the message that I have to redown load the package, despite the fact the package is in the download folder. 
    ----

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on
  • Yes, the Content Management System uses relative paths (the location within a content directory) without caring where the content directory is. DIM, however, does need to know exactly where the files are in order to be able to uninstall them.

• okay used the advanced filter and uninstalled everything DIM said was in My Daz 3d folder 
    took out a couple hundred items  and took out 8 gigs of data.. which still left 16g behind.
    ---
    okay, I don't understand how a program can function in the following manner when it's supposed to be an installer
    ---
    decided to take stuff out
    so let's unintall the Inside the Asylum tutorial 
    ta da DIM says I uninstalled it. 
    And they're back in the ready to install section. 
    But hating to call a coding challenged program an out and out liar. 
    Why is the Inside the Asylum stuff still in a folder called Inside the Asylum inside the tutorial folder? 
    Reinstalled it.. didn't get a duplicate content message 
    uninstalled it .. didn't take it out how can it uninstall nothing without saying I uninstalled nothing
    ----
    part of what it uninstalled was the gen1, 2, 3, 8 starter essentials. 
    okay, that sort of worked I have no gen or gen 2 figure duf  inside the genesis and genesis 2 folders in the people folder 
    but I do have the gen 3 male and female base figures and the gen 8 base figures in their folders in the people folder. 
    ---
    I did take an item that I would never install into the My daz lib folder (because I want that folder for morphs etc) 
    so I installed the steam voyager I got the other day and it installed and then I uninstalled it and it uninstalled
    this was to make sure DIM was really using the specified public>My Daz 3d Library Path. 
    ---
    does the program install --- all by itself .. just the daz 4.12 package install the gen 3 and gen 8 characters? 
    ---
    currently DIM using the path::rx::ci::^C:/.*$ key, reset to path::rx::ci::^C:/.*genesis 3 says nothing installed
    ---
    but I can install G3f using the duf file in the content library in the MyDaz3d folder 
    ---
    off to dream about rendering something with daz 3d

• If DIM finds that a filename.ext that it is trying to install is already on disc then it will note that, and when it uninstalls the product it will leave filename.ext in plae on the assumption that it is needed for some other product. I would suspect that the files for the assylum set were already there when DIM installed the tutorial, and so aren't being deleted when you uninstall.

• the package is from 2016 it was installed by DIM. 
    But then I think I'm looking at uninstalling thousands of things by hand. 
    Or just moving the folders out and creating a new library by moving things that I know are needed liked the 30g of converted objects etc. 
    ---
    I know the gen 8 starter bundles were never installed by anything other than DIM and they're uninstalled and yet I still have the gen8 figures in the library which was way I asked if the base program installed stuck them in? 
    ---
    it seems what you said about DIM was if you install something that's a duplicate it makes a note, nice, but apparently it takes out the uninstall path for the original item? No, it doesn't because it should be offering to unstall it if it's already there? 
    In which case a checking routine needs to be built into the dim. 

edited December 2019

If DIM finds that a filename.ext that it is trying to install is already on disc then it will note that, and when it uninstalls the product it will leave filename.ext in plae on the assumption that it is needed for some other product. I would suspect that the files for the assylum set were already there when DIM installed the tutorial, and so aren't being deleted when you uninstall.

okay, I have tons of items in the library folder that DIM won't remove. 
    So if I create a new library folder, I may have to reinstall a lot of stuff which brings up the question 
    if I remove the manifest file for an item will DIM then put it in the install list 
    I will be bad enough to install a couple hundred items but if by removing their manifest files all I have to do is install not  uninstall them. 
    thanks
    Other key question would be: how free can I be in moving duf files? 
    in the case of say a character, they call the pieces needed to load that character, but they should be able to do that no matter where the duf file itself is located?

• If the file is already there, not from a DIM install, then how would DIM know what it was from or should be associated with? If you remove the Manifests, so that DIM no longer knows that it installed the files, then it will treat them as pre-existing copies of the file to be logged and left alone.

edited December 2019

If the file is already there, not from a DIM install, then how would DIM know what it was from or should be associated with? If you remove the Manifests, so that DIM no longer knows that it installed the files, then it will treat them as pre-existing copies of the file to be logged and left alone.

what I'm asking is if remove the existing my daz 3d library folder down to  nothing but the root folder (my daz 3d library) and then take out the current manifest files
    will it decide that all the packages in my download folder are "ready to install"?
    -----
    all my other folders on an external drive are still installed to be dim.. 
    but in particular the My Daz Library on the C drive is where I always install things like morphs/shapes/base figures etc... which is what's frustrating about this .. I don't put anything in that folder manualy ever and the duplicate items are daz items 
    ---
    Since DIM doesn't want to recogize some of the stuff in the library folder (it let's me uninstall them but they're still there) 
    what I think I have to do is like I said.. just start with a brand new empty "Library" folder and then install everything I want in there back in there at which point the DIM written manifests should match the locations.
    ---
    So I was wondering how to make DIM think all the files in the download folder are new. 
    ----
    and if the manifest files tell DIM where a product is installed .. if I take them away will it treat all downloads without a manifest as a new "ready to install' product? 
    ---
    thanks.. 

• Pictures available. public>my daz lib>data> contains nothing other than autoadapted data.
    Install genesis started essentions 
    load Genesis
    warning duplicate formulas found 
    sample text.
    2019-12-14 02:13:06.433 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5995): Duplicate formula found linking xEnd & HFS_Shapes_Head01 in /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/HellFishStudios/HFS Shapes/HFS_Shapes_Head01.dsf.
    ---
    the issue is there are no items found when searching the daz library with the words "hellfish" or "HFS"... 
    Where is it looking 
    I know the genesis is in the right folder because uninstalling it removes it from my daz library in the content window and installing it puts it back and that's the icon I clik on to install genesis 
    ----
    above warning from the logfile and each test has started with an empty log file. (there are actually multiple warnings about the same morph).
    ----
    We know that Daz will sometimes hold on a texture despite it being replaced. 
    ---
    the test was run by closing daz unintalling the gen starter, checking the daz 3d folder to make sure it's empty, reinstalling it, starting the program and loading genesis which is where the dup formulas message appears. 
    ----
    the current state of the daz 3d library consists of only those items installed by genesis starter  --- Which eventually I will custom install because it loads the tutorial files also. 
    but for now there's nothing but the auto adapted folder and those items installed by genesis starter..  Since the auto-adapted folder is in the daz library folder and according to windows there are no files in the library folder with hellfish or hfs.. 
    pretty certain daz is looking elsewhere or is creating a cache somewhere .. that I would like to be able to clean out. 
    ---
    thank you for you time once again..  
    And yes, somewhere along the line I'm looking forward to not communicating with you for six months 

• Yes, removing the manifests files will tell DIM that nothing is isntalled (anywhere).

On the Duplicate formulas, the problem is presumably in one of the other content dictories you mention - DS will check all of the /data/Daz 3D/Genesis/ foldrs for assets when the base figure is loaded, so emptying one content directory won't help. Instead, try disconnecting the others to identify the location(s) of the problem files.