Studio stalls instead of launching (Solved, thanks everyone!)

2»

Comments

• I explored Norton's menus a bit, and found a place to white-list DAZ Studio. There are a lot of .exe's in the PostgreSQL CMS folder. I don't know which one to white-list. Does anyone else know?

I think it is this one:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS\bin\postgres.exe

Yes, I did see the log. That's why I'd like to know what happens when you try to run Daz Studio without PostgreSQL as the database looks corrupt.

• Eden EvergreenEden Evergreen Posts: 326
    edited December 2019

Houston, we have lift off! laugh  A very big THANK YOU to everyone who offered suggestions and assistance! yes

I uninstalled the PostgreSQL, and this time I *also* put the CMS folder within the DAZ Studio folder into a .zip file (and then deleted the unzipped one). Also cleared everything in every "temp" or "cache" folder I could find.

Now ... to figure out how to make the PostgreSQL stuff work again. At least, finally, DAZ Studio is opening again!

LiftOffDec6-2019.png
    1920 x 1050 - 147K
    PostgreSQL Error Msg Dec6-2019.png
    502 x 124 - 8K
    Post edited by Eden Evergreen on
  • Now we are getting somewhere.

Do a search for the ContentCluster folder in your system (I can't recall offhand where it gets created). Delete everything inside that folder, there should be a bunch of folders and files. Once you have an empty ContentCluster folder, install PostgreSQL again and start Daz Studio (be sure DS is closed when installing PostgreSQL).

edited December 2019

Now we are getting somewhere.

Do a search for the ContentCluster folder in your system (I can't recall offhand where it gets created). Delete everything inside that folder, there should be a bunch of folders and files. Once you have an empty ContentCluster folder, install PostgreSQL again and start Daz Studio (be sure DS is closed when installing PostgreSQL).

Drat, I could almost swear I was just looking at that. I might have already deleted it ... though I'll definitely look again! wink

PS - would it be expected to be one word, as in your post, or two (as it would normally be written)? I'm currently running a search as if it's all one word, just checking (if I don't find it, because I may already have deleted it) whether I should do a second search using two words...

• Doesn't matter if you deleted the ContentCluster folder itself, it'll get recreated when reinstalling PostgreSQL.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,932
    edited December 2019

Now we are getting somewhere.

Drat, I could almost swear I was just looking at that. I might have already deleted it ... though I'll definitely look again! wink

PS - would it be expected to be one word, as in your post, or two (as it would normally be written)? I'm currently running a search as if it's all one word, just checking (if I don't find it, because I may already have deleted it) whether I should do a second search using two words...

It is one word. Have a look in

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms\

There is an excellent freeware search utility called Everything, so much better than Windows search.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    edited December 2019

Found and deleted it. I might have found the one you're mentioning, and deleted it previously. The search turned up [another?] one in content/Applications/Data/DAZ3D/Content Database - so that one's gone now, also. DAZ Studio is closed.

Re-installed CMS. Hexagon launches without complaint.Now checking DAZ Studio ... - *huge sigh of relief* - it still launches! laugh

THANK YOU!!!!

PS - also whitelisted PostgreSQL on Norton. Hopefully, between whitelisting both Studio and CMS, this should not be a recurring problem. Thanks again! laugh

• Glad to hear it is working.

One last step: on the Content Library tab, click on the menu and select Content DB Maintenance. In the window which then appears, check Re-Import Metadata and then Accept. This will populate the database with your installed content.

• Good gravy, there's a lot of it! One doesn't realize, shopping a little here, and a little there, quite how much one has accumulated.

Until seeing it all listed, and how small the scroll bar's control piece is ... surprise

It may take it awhile to finish updating. blush

Anyhow, it looks like it's finally working again. Many thanks to you. I'll also close the ticket, since they hadn't gotten around to it yet. Thanks again! laugh

• No problem. Hopefully it won't happen again.

• No problem. Hopefully it won't happen again.

No kidding! surprise

(Let's not give it any ideas, shall we? wink )