Studio stalls instead of launching (Solved, thanks everyone!)

Eden EvergreenEden Evergreen Posts: 326
edited December 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

Greetings and salutations,

Before submitting a support ticket, I'm checking here. Just in case someone has an idea of what may be broken, or how to fix it. I probably won't have much time to do anything until next week anyhow.

A few days ago, I launched DAZ|Studio without any troubles. I cleared the scene before closing, as usual. No changes, beyond installing more library content. Yesterday and today, when I try to launch Studio, it hangs up at "Upgrading CMS ... " I left it running, in case it might resolve itself, and 8 hours have passed. Same screen, no launch. I restarted my computer yesterday, and tried again. And received the same results.

I want to play with ... erm, try out ... some of my recent purchases. Without Studio launching, though, that's slightly impossible. I never really learned Poser, and even if I had ... the most recent version I own (Poser 7) can't do Genesis 8 or dforce.

So ... does anyone have any ideas on what's not working, or how it could be fixed?

Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a DAZ-tastic day! smiley

Studio Stopped.png
640 x 480 - 39K
Post edited by Eden Evergreen on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010
    edited November 2019

I'm not the expert on this. My first guess would be that the CMS is out of date and needs to be updated. Possibly reinstalling D/S would force it to uninstall/reinstall the entire program including the CMS [content management service]. Speaking of which, unless you really want it to, might want to check the preferences and not have it searching your entire computer [just the Content folders it needs to] for any possible files to load into the program. You mentioned having installed more program content, could be something there hanging the service.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,812

Wait ... upgrading CMS? That's odd. It should say "connecting to CMS" when it starts.

How do you normally install Studio? That sounds like a failed update of some sort.

If you normally install/update either manually or via DIM, if you're running version 4.12, I'd recommend downloading the Studio installer from your account and doing a manual reinstall. (NOT a DIM install, the EXE file.) If you normally install/update via Daz Connect, that may be problematic. I don't use it, so I'm not sure.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,498

Have you gotten around this yet?

• It says "Connecting to CMS" briefly, then it goes to "upgrading" ... and there it sticks. It's still getting hung up there. frown

It's DAZ Studio 4.12.something, and was installed manually. I added content manually to the "content" folder, as I usually do. No scripts or plug-ins, just characters, outfits, props, and hair. Nothing that should remotely affect the program's ability to launch.

Yes, reinstalling is the next step I'm going to try. I just have about fifty-eleven things to do today, so it might not happen until tomorrow. blush

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

I'm having potentially the same problem. Ever since I started playing with XTransfer, the general release just will not open. In my case, it hangs on a prompt to add a potential new data directory to my runtime, then crashes. I even upgraded from 4.11, and it's still happening. I can use the beta, although it crashes if I try to load a G8F, again for XTransfer related reasons.

• I don't have XTransfer ... yet. wink

Currently, the re-install is hung up at "Installing Content Management Service." I may have to cancel it and begin again. frown

• UPDATE: new install *still* hangs up at "upgrading CMS ..." (the number of dots changes, but otherwise ... there it sits).

I've tried restarting the computer, and re-installing DAZ Studio. It's not launching, though. crying

Anyone else have any more ideas, or is it ticket time??

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

Mine now gets all the way to launching the UI and showing every sign of working before it locks up for 10ish seconds and crashes. 

• Eden EvergreenEden Evergreen Posts: 326
    edited December 2019

Sounds like maybe we *both* need to make tickets. sad

Ok, ticket submitted. Here's hoping they're not too busy, and can find a solution! yes
    (Probably when they get to the office tomorrow ... )

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,812
    edited December 2019

Deleted; accidental post.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010
    edited December 2019

Well it may a few days but yes they will get to it.

Possibly start the computer in Safe Mode, do not connect to the internet, open D/S, Edit > Preferences and tell it to stop looking for updates? Accept, then restart the computer as normal and see if that helps.

I download/install updates manually, saves the program calling home [and you would need to be signed in and also via DIM if using that] all the time.

Never Check for Updates.png
    403 x 588 - 31K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • UPDATE: new install *still* hangs up at "upgrading CMS ..." (the number of dots changes, but otherwise ... there it sits).

I've tried restarting the computer, and re-installing DAZ Studio. It's not launching, though. crying

How did you do the new install?

• Gordig said:

Mine now gets all the way to launching the UI and showing every sign of working before it locks up for 10ish seconds and crashes. 

Does it still crash if you uninstall XTransfer?

edited December 2019

UPDATE: new install *still* hangs up at "upgrading CMS ..." (the number of dots changes, but otherwise ... there it sits).

I searched my account's product library for "DAZ Studio 4" and found the download for "Daz Studio 4.x Pro." I manually downloaded and installed "DAZ Studio 4.12 (Win 64-bit)." I also searched for "CMS," and downloaded and installed the latest version of that. Even after those two changes, it's still trying to "phone home," and hangs up there. sad

Previously, when I had access to various options, I had instructed it to "work offline." I cannot currently access preferences, because I cannot launch it.

Well it may a few days but yes they will get to it.

Possibly start the computer in Safe Mode, do not connect to the internet, open D/S, Edit > Preferences and tell it to stop looking for updates? Accept, then restart the computer as normal and see if that helps.

I download/install updates manually, saves the program calling home [and you would need to be signed in and also via DIM if using that] all the time.

I'm not exactly a "technical" person. blush  I know that accessing "safe mode" requires a restart, though I don't know (or remember, if I forgot) when or how to interrupt a standard restart and send it into safe mode instead for Windows 10. A lot of stuff changed, when it auto-upgraded itself to that newer operating system.

ALSO: I only discovered this when I updated the CMS file from a Product Library download ... according to the task manager, DAZ Studio and CMS were both still running even after I'd closed the window. I had to manually stop them through the Task Manager. frown

I searched my account's product library for "DAZ Studio 4" and found the download for "Daz Studio 4.x Pro." I manually downloaded and installed "DAZ Studio 4.12 (Win 64-bit)." I also searched for "CMS," and downloaded and installed the latest version of that. Even after those two changes, it's still trying to "phone home," and hangs up there. sad

Previously, when I had access to various options, I had instructed it to "work offline." I cannot currently access preferences, because I cannot launch it.

Ok, uninstall both DAZ Studio and PostgreSQL using the uninstallers. Once done, make sure there isn't anything listed in Task Manager. Using the standalone installers install PostreSQL first, then DAZ Studio. Make sure that when starting DAZ Studio, you use the offline mode. Click on the Content Library tab menu, and select Content DB Maintenance. Select the last option; Reset Database.

Out of interest, what AV are you using?

Ok, uninstall both DAZ Studio and PostgreSQL using the uninstallers. Once done, make sure there isn't anything listed in Task Manager. Using the standalone installers install PostreSQL first, then DAZ Studio. Make sure that when starting DAZ Studio, you use the offline mode. Click on the Content Library tab menu, and select Content DB Maintenance. Select the last option; Reset Database.

I have already uninstalled both, DoctorJellybean ... I can do it again, as you suggest. However, I do not know how to begin DAZ Studio in "offline mode" from launching. I chose "offline mode" when I had access to preferences, though I do not know if that choice has endured through multiple uninstallations and reinstallations. When I right-click on DAZStudio.exe, I don't see an "offline mode" option. - *puzzled* -

I'm not sure what "AV" means, so I don't know how to answer that question, sorry. blush

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited December 2019

UPDATE: new install *still* hangs up at "upgrading CMS ..." (the number of dots changes, but otherwise ... there it sits).

I have already uninstalled both, DoctorJellybean ... I can do it again, as you suggest. However, I do not know how to begin DAZ Studio in "offline mode" from launching. I chose "offline mode" when I had access to preferences, though I do not know if that choice has endured through multiple uninstallations and reinstallations. When I right-click on DAZStudio.exe, I don't see an "offline mode" option. - *puzzled* -

I'm not sure what "AV" means, so I don't know how to answer that question, sorry. blush

When you start Daz Studio for the first time after installation, when you cycle though the various windows e.g. entering your name, etc, it should come up with an option to start offline.

AV is antivirus.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    edited December 2019

Ah. Antivirus is "Norton Security Suite," though "Windows Defender" is also active.

Firefox (browser) also has "Ublock Origin," although that one is turned off for the DAZ website.

When you start Daz Studio for the first time after installation, when you cycle though the various windows e.g. entering your name, etc, it should come up with an option to start offline.

AV is antivirus.

Problem: DAZ Studio hangs up at "Upgrading CMS ..." which happens before it completes launching. So there is zero access to the various windows such as entering name, etc. sad

And yes, this still happens after the uninstall and reinstall per your instructions. crying

Thanks for offering suggestions, though ... I do appreciate the time and effort! Just wish it had fixed DAZ Studio so it would complete launching. wink

• Are you sure it hangs up, and not just busy?

I have shut down everything except the browser, and left it running overnight. It remains right there, "Upgrading CMS ... " and never launches. Given that it worked fine a few days before it began doing this, 8+ hours seems more than sufficient for it to stop being "busy" and finally launch. frown

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited December 2019

Are you sure it hangs up, and not just busy?

I have shut down everything except the browser, and left it running overnight. It remains right there, "Upgrading CMS ... " and never launches. Given that it worked fine a few days before it began doing this, 8+ hours seems more than sufficient for it to stop being "busy" and finally launch. frown

Please attach the log.txt file, which you'll find here (assuming you are using the release version):

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4

If it is the Beta, then it should be

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Beta

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on

Please attach the log.txt file, which you'll find here (assuming you are using the release version):

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4

If it is the Beta, then it should be

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Beta

I got curious, and peeked. The problem appears to be that it's looking for something it's not finding. I don't know how to make it stop looking.

The "data" folder in the "content" folder has over 1800 sub-folders. Plenty of data there, so no idea why tables would be considered "missing."

zip
    zip
    logDec6-2019.zip
    edited December 2019

Sorry, accidental double-post.

2019-12-06 00:04:57.807 WARNING: dzpostgresqlobjectdatabase.cpp(37): Init db error: ERROR:  schema "dzcontent" does not exist

Your Contant Database is either not setup or totally crashed. To me it looks like postgres is denied to write to the database files (Virus protection or other security software prevents it to do so).

I don't know where you have your files on Window (on OS X), but uninstall the Content Manager Database, aka Postgres, cms, (be sure the files are removed) and reinstall and then allow access to them in whatever protection software you use.

• Since DAZ Studio was working fine a couple weeks ago, I'm guessing it crashed?

Guess I need to look up how to make sure postgres has permission to write database files. After I uninstall them (again). Though I haven't changed permissions on anything, so ... I'm still at a loss as to why it worked just fine a couple weeks ago, then stopped last week.

Thanks to everyone for your input ... here's hoping I can find that, and it will finally cure it!

Windows Update, Anti Virus Update, many things can suddenly change permissions "behind your back"

edited December 2019

Neither of those had an update between the last time I successfully launched DAZ Studio, and the first time it wouldn't work. - *shrugs unknowingly* -

I uninstalled the posgres and Content Manager per your suggestion, though I haven't found how to verify permissions yet ... still looking. blush

PS - if it was caused by a stealth Windows or Norton update, seems like more people should be having the same problem. surprise

• Have you restoed your files from a back up? That can apparently break permissions (I know I had to take ownership of my documents etc. after a restore last year, or possibly the year before).

• If you are willing to try some other steps, uninstall PostgreSQL and start Daz Studio without reinstalling PostgreSQL.

• Have you restored your files from a back up? That can apparently break permissions (I know I had to take ownership of my documents etc. after a restore last year, or possibly the year before).

Nope, I haven't restored from back-up. Really hoping I won't need to, since I've installed a fair amount of content since the last back-up (I'd gotten behind on installing and sorting content, and it's something to do while Studio isn't working) ... thanks for checking, though! smiley

If you are willing to try some other steps, uninstall PostgreSQL and start Daz Studio without reinstalling PostgreSQL.

I'm pretty sure I already tried that, though I can try it again. wink

I attached a log.exe to an earlier post as you requested, DoctorJellybean. I don't know if you saw it, though.

I explored Norton's menus a bit, and found a place to white-list DAZ Studio. There are a lot of .exe's in the PostgreSQL CMS folder. I don't know which one to white-list. Does anyone else know?

I'll look through Windows Defender's menus, and see if I can find any place to white-list DAZ Studio there, also.

Unfortunately, if it's an issue of a partiular port, I will need more specific guidance. Sorry, I don't speak port. blush