Black Is Beautiful II

Comments

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:

FW's V6/G2F characters use V5 UVs explicitly for backwards compatibility with Genesis. He's also open to direct questions about his characters in case you're unsure.
    I do wish product pages were better about stating this info.

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for sets with either V6 UVs (like Felicity) or G2F UVs. I could only find two with G2F UVs (Cassia and Nidale).

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited November 2016

wowie said:

ZamuelNow said:

FW's V6/G2F characters use V5 UVs explicitly for backwards compatibility with Genesis. He's also open to direct questions about his characters in case you're unsure.
    I do wish product pages were better about stating this info.

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for sets with either V6 UVs (like Felicity) or G2F UVs. I could only find two with G2F UVs (Cassia and Nidale).

G2F Base Female UV and Genesis V5 UV are essentially the same thing. There are slight differences in alignment in various places, but they were made effectively identical by DAZ by design, for a certain amount of backward compatibility. In theory, you should be able to use Cassia and Nidale textures on Genesis as well as G2F, but you need to apply the textures manually on the surfaces tab -- even though the UV map is more or less the same, the identification information in the DUF is different, so the DUF doesn't usually work.

Mahala uses V5/Base Female UVs, by the by. Also, Mahala, and to a lesser extent, Eve and Nidale have hand and feet issues, with dark diffuse wash over palms and soles.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

G2F Base Female UV and Genesis V5 UV are essentially the same thing. There are slight differences in alignment in various places, but they were made effectively identical by DAZ by design, for a certain amount of backward compatibility. In theory, you should be able to use Cassia and Nidale textures on Genesis as well as G2F, but you need to apply the textures manually on the surfaces tab -- even though the UV map is more or less the same, the identification information in the DUF is different, so the DUF doesn't usually work.

Mahala uses V5/Base Female UVs, by the by. Also, Mahala, and to a lesser extent, Eve and Nidale have hand and feet issues, with dark diffuse wash over palms and soles.

Thanks for the info. I have Nidale, but saw the problem you mentioned. That is why I'm looking for other textures.

edited November 2016

wowie said:

vwrangler said:

Thanks for the info. I have Nidale, but saw the problem you mentioned. That is why I'm looking for other textures.

Ah.

Apart from those that have been artificially darkened like Mahala and Nidale and Eve ... there are NO dark skinned V5/G2F UV textures. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Niente. Not here, not at any other site that I could find. None. Nowhere. At all.

The closest you can get are Rayne V5 and Olivia V5, neither of whom are terribly dark.

I was looking for them when I decided to do texture corrections on my own, because the hands and feet were making me crazy after a while. I wanted a naturally dark skinned texture to serve as a guide, but there is absolutely nothing out there for V5.

Now that Felicity exists, there will be something to help out with V6, should another dark washed texture make its appearance. And there are loads for V4 -- I've used the MST Sasha Resource from RDNA for that, primarily. Correcting V4 textures is So Much Easier! But for V5, there's just nothing.

I'd hoped that I could use the V4 limbs as a guide for V5, but they're differently sized and positioned, even at the same resolution. They can't work for that.

I know that darker textures don't sell as well, but I was genuinely shocked when I realized that not one had been produced for the Genesis generation.

For the record, there's also only one M5 UV darker texture, Benjamin. But at least there IS one!

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

I think the main thing that killed the V5 UV for darker characters was the V4 UV. Even today, a lot of characters with versions for more than one model tend to use the V4 UV, especially from other stores. I do think Daz sorta dropped the ball without having at least one "Daz Official" darker skinned female character like they did with Benjamin for M5. Or the options available for the V4 Elite sets.

I will note that there's a few stylized darker characters for Genesis but that doesn't quite help with altering the more realistic skins.

edited December 1969

Interesting. Noticed a few recent vendors explicitly mention having lighter palms on their characters.

• SupercopeSupercope Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

Here's a piece I completed for inclusion in a documentary on Sci Fi writers:

Squad_Leader_-_postwork_(for_Brave_New_Souls)_01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 8M
  • Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited December 1969

Looks good. I really need to add Skin Builder to the first post. Well, and I need to buy it too.

Out of curiosity, what lighting are you using?

edited March 2017

edited December 1969

Well, I've got good news and bad news.

Good news is that due to Skin Builder and a bunch of stuff for Dawn and K4, there's enough product to fill up the first page. Bad news is that the first page is full. I've moved the lighting info for a temporary stopgap but I really need to get on making that separate Google Doc I planned to do and never did. Well, a document is easy. What I actually want to do is a spreadsheet so things will be a bit more organized.

• marymary Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

is there any black characters for josie 6 ?

edited December 1969

Not that I know of. You may need to use V6 or V5 options for her. Actually, considering the lack of those, you'll probably need to use V4 options.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited June 2014

maxi90 said:
    is there any black characters for josie 6 ?

FW Eve and FWSA Keshi both have fairly dark skin and use the V5 UV maps (genesis 1 and genesis 2 compatible), so will work fine on Josie, though neither one is explicitly black ethnicity. There is one coming very soon, again not for Josie specifically but the head morph should mix nicely with her and the skin will work perfectly.

Post edited by Fisty on
    edited March 2017

edited December 1969

Thought I would share a quick render I've done to test the Wildenlander for M4. It shows how well Felicity HD for Victoria 6 looks on G2M. The shape is Michael 6 HD.

Edit: I've added another quick test render. It's G2F with Modern Muses - Jaide textures and surface settings from Felicity HD for Victoria 6 .

Both look great =) Quick tip if you use a female skin on a male.. copy the face material zone settings and paste them to the lips, it's a nice fast way to get rid of the gloss that most female textures have built in.

edited March 2017

edited December 1969

Skin surface settings are one of my specialties so I notice things like that right off.. don't feel bad, most wouldn't catch it. =)

edited March 2017

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

My 3rd remake of Vivian McPherson a character from Bomaw - in keeping with the theme of this thread.

VivianMcPh-2.jpg
    1974 x 1971 - 595K
    edited December 1969

Oh now she's gorgeous!! And I love that necklace, I want one IRL.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Believe it or not, under that lovely dark skin, the model is Vampire Frida! :gulp: I got Frida on sale, and wanted to see what she looked like in dark skin, instead of blue skin with blood dripping from her mouth. The texture is Sanura V3 converted to V4, with the Spec maps and SSS settings from Marie Elite. Beautiful Black Hair Styles by Neftis 3D. The image is 1920x1080, suitable for wallpaper.

I did have to dial Frida's fangs back, otherwise this one would have to be Blacula's Daughter... :lol:

Frida-Sanura-test004.crop2_.jpg
    1920 x 1081 - 794K
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Arise, undead thread!

I've been improving my rendering with some things I learned from other folks at DAZ, and also playing with Amazing Skins, which has no nubian presets by default but is VERY nice for this use. Behold Rob:

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Elite-Rob-G2M-in-3Delight-with-Amazing-Skins-483983996

And the lights and skin preset I created for him: http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Making-of-Elite-Rob-M4-Study-483984007?q=gallery:SickleYield&qo=3

I attach another pic with that same shader in slightly different lighting with the Benjamin skin (the specular came out a bit drier than I wanted, but it still works decently).

SYExtrUndLightbox03.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Sorry for being so far behind in updating this thread but I've been really out of it as far as rendering is concerned. Don't even know how far behind I am at this point.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

This is one of the girls from my It Takes Character set. I used Raiya's beautiful black skinned, Felicity.

08-ITC-AssassinPromo.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 291K
    edited December 1969

Yeah I noticed her in your promos.. she has really nice knees.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

"Nabila"
    DS 4.6
    Reality 2.5
    LuxRender

Nabila_Reality.jpg
    1339 x 1500 - 196K
    edited November 2014

Been tinkering with Zere for V4Male and V3Digitimes Amazing Skins shader, transferred to G2M via GenX2, and with heavily edited hands. I think I've basically got him as far as he's going to get. Unfortunately, the shader exposes the edits, but them's the breaks.

zereV4MAmazingSkins-HillySurround-03.png
    1360 x 872 - 1M
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 1969

Hi. I just wanted to post to say thank you for this thread. I bought Ryze awhile back and had been frustrated because I couldn't make him look good. I had no idea black skin was so difficult to render so that it looked natural and beautiful. I found this thread and read all of the tips and Sickleyield's deviant art posts and am finally happy with the results that I am getting. I'm sure that there is room for improvement as I'm still a newbie and learning.

Tthank you all for the great tips and inspiration,

Cathy

Here is the gallery link for my Ryze.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/44672/

edited November 2014

Finished my setup for M4 Rob. Model is Michael 6 with some head/body dials. 3delight render, no postwork.

Rob.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 275K
    Post edited by wowie on