Black Is Beautiful II

Comments

• zaintczaintc Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

I have read as much as I can about this thread, can anyone give me some insight on how to adjust to darker skin or black skin texture in Daz. In either a thread or video, please (thank you in advance) happy holiday....

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Adjust in what way? Quick tinting of a lighter texture? Using better lighting options? Subsurface shaders?

edited November 2013

ZamuelNow said:
    Adjust in what way? Quick tinting of a lighter texture? Using better lighting options? Subsurface shaders?

thank you for getting back to me,
    I have M5/V5 characters and I am unaware of how to adjust to make more ethnic. (change skin color) For M5 I have Benj, yet we all know we have more colors in us, so I want to make or adjust to those w/o having to buy (if they were there) each one.
    I am not that knowledgeable in this as you guys are. I saw one program that worked in poser (not interested in going back and forth, unless forced to) and what I saw for Daz was for female (not sure as to why?) I would think it wasn't this difficult based on all what this program can do

Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

Ah... For smaller variations, you would adjust the color of the diffuse setting of the skin. It's generally easier to make a skin darker than lighter and only looks so good pending on how much you adjust it. Bigger variance usually requires simply using a whole new skin. One benefit Genesis (and thus M5/V5) has is that it can use any V4 or M4 skin texture which gives a lot of options. If you look at the first post, you can find links to several freebie characters you can use the skin from. Also, you may want to download DieTrying’s 182 V4 Morphs for Genesis since it give more options for adjusting the overall look. I will note that there's far fewer options for males than females in case you go looking and only see a few. However, sometimes V4 skins will work well for a male character.

edited December 1969

I noticed that as well, not sure why more female than male. I tried to not so much adjust but merge and the guy had lipstick, etc (lol, still learning) I will look into all this and find something that will work ez for me and try to catch up (one day to what you guys are doing, it all great!) Thank you for your help

edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    Ah... For smaller variations, you would adjust the color of the diffuse setting of the skin. It's generally easier to make a skin darker than lighter and only looks so good pending on how much you adjust it. Bigger variance usually requires simply using a whole new skin. One benefit Genesis (and thus M5/V5) has is that it can use any V4 or M4 skin texture which gives a lot of options. If you look at the first post, you can find links to several freebie characters you can use the skin from. Also, you may want to download DieTrying’s 182 V4 Morphs for Genesis since it give more options for adjusting the overall look. I will note that there's far fewer options for males than females in case you go looking and only see a few. However, sometimes V4 skins will work well for a male character.

BTW: I was wondering how that works I have TyreseM4 and TynasheV4, I will look on how to use them, again thank you

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

What ZamuelNow described is what's referred to as the "DiffuseTan" method. I find you can go about 20% darker that way before the model looks "spray painted" or plastic looking. The other thing to watch for when going darker is the palms and soles of the feet. You might have to avoid showing those areas in renders depending on the diffuse settings. To go lighter, you can dial in a little on the ambient channel, but I would only use 2-5% there. You can't do low-light renders with too much ambient in the skin.

I've never really like the Marie Dark settings the texture came with. Too much Diffuse Tan. Don't get me wrong, I love the Marie V4 texture, I use it a lot. I tweaked my own settings for it tho. At one point, I took the textures into an editor, created a uniform, faint grey layer over the top, then erased the grey over the palms and soles, and saved them to new files. This had the effect of darkening the skin in the same way as the diffuse channel, but not over the palms and soles. The hard part was getting the blend area right. There's still only so far you can change the basic color before you look to buy another skin. I also have Leena International, Dulce, Ebony, Grace, Sanura V3, and a few of Reciecup's models.

edited December 1969

I see your point about the spray paint guy, is the a preset setting to start and/or end to get me close to something. I am using Studio to make the characters and Carrara for the rest

spray_paint_guy.jpg
    448 x 296 - 42K
    diffuse_colors_and_selections.jpg
    534 x 558 - 127K
    color_palette.jpg
    502 x 364 - 68K
    edited December 1969

what is this "SSS" setting I keep hearing about?

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:

SSS is Age of Armour's Sub Surface Shader which comes with the Genesis 2 starter essentials as well as it's own independent download. (both options are free)

He has a pretty detailed guide here. http://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/tutorials/AoA_subsurface_shader_help.html

edited December 1969

zaintc said:

Never mind, lol
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

The Uber surface shader (included with DS), Posework's PW Effect, and default poser also can do SSS.

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    The Uber surface shader (included with DS), Posework's PW Effect, and default poser also can do SSS.

Not sure how to open or activate it

edited December 1969

select figure in scene tab, in the surface tab select the skin (don't forget the lips too if you're using Genesis 2) in your library go to shader presets/omni freaker/uber surface, double click the base uber surface preset. Go back to the surface tab, scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see sub surface scattering. Turn it on. Change the color to pink or orange. The rest of the settings will be all out of whack most likely.

It's easier to apply the skin you want, then find a character for that same figure that already has Uber surface set up, hold control while clicking the new skin texture. when the box pops up chose ignore and it will apply the Uber shaders with much better settings to start with. It will probably still need to be adjusted somewhat but it won't be totally out of whack.

(to find out if a character uses Uber surface select on the skin matzones in the surface tab and apply the skin, up in the top left corner ofthe surface tab it will tell you what shader that matzone is using. Uber Surface and AOA Subsurface both do SSS, if it sayz Daz Default it doesn't)

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    select figure in scene tab, in the surface tab select the skin (don't forget the lips too if you're using Genesis 2) in your library go to shader presets/omni freaker/uber surface, double click the base uber surface preset. Go back to the surface tab, scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see sub surface scattering. Turn it on. Change the color to pink or orange. The rest of the settings will be all out of whack most likely.

It's easier to apply the skin you want, then find a character for that same figure that already has Uber surface set up, hold control while clicking the new skin texture. when the box pops up chose ignore and it will apply the Uber shaders with much better settings to start with. It will probably still need to be adjusted somewhat but it won't be totally out of whack.

(to find out if a character uses Uber surface select on the skin matzones in the surface tab and apply the skin, up in the top left corner ofthe surface tab it will tell you what shader that matzone is using. Uber Surface and AOA Subsurface both do SSS, if it sayz Daz Default it doesn't)

I saw this: omHumanSurface, how does that apply to uber surface preset

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

That's the (Elite)Human Surface Shader - it's an earlier incarnation of uberSurface, with fewer options and features but what it has works in much the same way.

edited December 1969

That's the (Elite)Human Surface Shader - it's an earlier incarnation of uberSurface, with fewer options and features but what it has works in much the same way.

So what am I turning on then, the uberSurface option isnt there

edited December 1969

Sub surface scattering, it's towards the bottom of the surface tab when you have a skin matzone selected.

edited December 1969

I am not seeing the subsurface scatter

Not_seeing_subsurface_scatter.jpg
    539 x 633 - 134K
    edited December 1969

Updated the first post. The store promos for Nidalee don't do her justice since Silver has renders elsewhere that look better. Also, freebie maker Star Brooks updated her two dark skinned characters (Kayima and Amandi) to have more varied palms and soles than originally. Haven't had a chance to check out those changes though.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:

The subsurface scatter is a product of all of those subsurface-related settings.

RawArt has a nice tutorial on SSS using HumanSurface (should work equally well with UberSurface) here.

edited December 1969

Uploaded a picture to the galleries here that I had up elsewhere. Can't remember if I posted it to the thread or not.
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/16346/

edited December 1969

zaintc said:

The subsurface scatter is a product of all of those subsurface-related settings.

RawArt has a nice tutorial on SSS using HumanSurface (should work equally well with UberSurface) here.
    I saw that before and I need a certain material type or character type to access that menu

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Reciecup and Rebelmommy have a few characters in the rendo $3.50 clearance sale. There are also a few ethnic poser characters in clerance

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

hi
    I know I have been gone for a long time, I hope you all had a great holiday. and now that it is over it is time to get back to work, in the time I have been away, I have been working with shader and lighting and learning as much as I can. and would like to know what you all think.

my_man.jpg
    812 x 650 - 197K
    edited January 2014

and there is this one

im_still_just_a_biker.jpg
    812 x 650 - 459K
    Post edited by gp139 on
  • KalypsoKalypso Posts: 208
    edited December 1969

Nice work dune. Here's a new one from me after a dry spell. I've been experimenting with various textures and using hsv in Snarlygribbly's EZSkin to modify them with some interesting results.

phenomenally.jpg
    780 x 889 - 471K
    edited December 1969

thank kalypso
    it seems that a dry spell can sometime bring out the best in people, I love the way her eyes are done, and the texture you used, the lighting is great, I would like to see more of your work, where can I see more.

edited December 1969

sorry forget that I found you on renderosity, nice gallery