What was your first DAZ purchase, and how long ago?

Hi Everyone,

It occured to me on the 11th of November 2013, I started using the DAZ studio program. My first purchase (not items included and bundled with DAZ) was Michael 5. I followed up shortly after with some clothes, and then Victoria 5. The PCplat club back then had some great bundles on V4/M4 stuff as Genesis was just hitting the market, and a few pro bundles later, I had quite a selection to play with. 

https://www.daz3d.com/michael-5

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-5

As we head into 2020, I am still using DAZ, with Genesis 8 primarily, with smatterings of Genesis 2 males, Genesis 3 females, and Genesis 3 males. I have a huge number of poses and props from each generation, and still continue to use them where they fit. Characters I created from Genesis 2, have also been remade on G8.

My old library and characters still fill my renders and are used in storyboarding. With an upgrade to my computer earlier this year, rendering G8 has been a joy, and the scenes I create can handle multiple G8 figures as well as supporting background characters from M4/V4 upwards.

What figures were your first? Do you still use them in current renders? Have you moved your characters to the latest generation with transfer utilities or by re-creating them? 

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

My first order was October 12, 2005 and was for Victoria 3 base, Michael 3 base, the Victoria 3 Head & Body morphs and a monthly PC membership. I don't do V3 or M3 much anymore except as the occasional background character. But I still use Aiko 3 and Hiro 3.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2019

my first purchases were made in the 20th century.  Actually don't show as specific orders any more, I just have an invoice with nothing on it but the amount spent..  I know one of the items I bought was "The Costume Shop" CD,  which I actually still have.

Edited to add that Victoria came to life in 1999, but was updated in 2001 to Victoria 2. 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

February 2006, Aiko 3 - and yes, I am still using her.

• I think it was either Victoria or Micahel, back in 2001, but as Chohole says the order histroy from that era is unclear and my emails from then are archived.

• Nov 1, 2017 was my first order which consisted of some quality of life stuff for G8 female (expressions, hand poses, breast utilities, head and body morphs and Voss hair). I came in not long after G8 stuff was hitting so didn't really get any G3 stuff until a little later in when I discovered Monique 7 and Ophelia 7. I used 3DL starting out. Bank account took a hit when I discovered iRay...Not sure that I still use anything from the initial purchase really.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,146
    edited November 2019

I discovered DAZ Studio (DS 2.3 in fact) via a cover disc on a PC magazine in January 2010. It came with some free content and I liked what I saw.

My first order was in January 2010 and was also free. 2010 was a golden year at Daz - there were lots of free things being given away that year, including all the Millennium characters from generation 1-4 and a weekly freebie without purchase. They also gave away quite a few "free money" coupons at that time - which I used to "buy" about a dozen items between January and September, costing me nothing at all. This was a great way to get people hooked!

ETA: DS 3.0 was also free on release that year - but you got a "basic" version and the "Advanced" version was pay-for.

My first actual bought item was a PC Annual Membership during the 2010 Anniversary sale - it was full price, but in those days you got a welcome package of freebies and a $30 voucher to buy any DOs of your choice. Annual Membership cost $99.95 back then for the first year, with a $30 discount on renewals. I also bought a shedload of PC items during that 2010 Anniversary Sale - and after all this time I'm still hooked!

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • TomDowdTomDowd Posts: 197

April 11, 2001

• Victoria's Changing Fantasy Suit
    • P4 Hair to Millennium Hair*

* which apparently I bought again three weeks later. Can I get a $6.95 refund? wink

TD

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,032

First purchase beside freebies was PC membership.

First content purchase included SP3, her MFD and the kimono expansion, in June 2004. I've not used SP3 much lately, but I still use A3 from time to time.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited November 2019

If Zygote counts it was in autumn 1999 I think. Or maybe I only looked because it was very expensive then. I wanted the anatomy set they had. And when they split into Zygote & DAZ and lots of items became more affordable to buy I remember Zygote kept the anatomy models and the same high prices as before the split.

I remember I wanted a DAZ DMX Bike and a skateboard park and such for a long time but refused to pay that much money for it (BMX Bike was $24.95 if I remember correctly). I forget what I bought first but it was likely cartoon themed. I remember when Victoria 1 & Michael 1 first when on sale (I think they were separated by more than a year) but can't remember 100% for certain if I bought them.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • I had freebies from Zygote, pre the split.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,261

Zygote purchases and my first Daz3d purchase was 2000...

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

On this account, looks like it was 26 Feb, 2008 and the product was Millennium Dragon

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

Got me curious....so I checked my account.  First purchase, Aug 24,2004.  DazStudio Beta, for $10.00.  It came with a $10.00 discount

• My first order was 6/15/2014 and it was Victoria 4, V4 morphs and various outfits. It's good to see that Daz is (albeit slowly) moving towards being a more modern, functional sweet with standardized features built in such as animation graphs and key frame control. Funnily enough, they were advertising it for free long before it was finally incorporated into 4.12.

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
    edited November 2019

My first purchases occurred way back in 2016, when I purchased the V4 Elite Texture Marie skin. along with Victoria 4.2 Morphs++ and V4 Elite Body Shapes.  It really amazes me that those purchases occurred nearly three years ago already.

However, I didn't make my first hair and clothing purchases until March 3, 2017, and they were the Destiny Hair for V4, and the Dynamic Circle Skirt for V4.

I made several more purchases in April and May 2017 combined, but never bought anything else until later in August, and as of lately, any items on my DAZ Shop and Renderosity wishlists are considered low priority now.  I'll probably purchase them when they are marked down greatly.

According to data, I am two transactions away from reaching 200 as of right now, assuming "transactions" refer to one or more items purchased in one shot.

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

9-Dec-2006

844 orders later, still going strong.

• LintonLinton Posts: 541
    namffuak said:

My first order was October 12, 2005 and was for Victoria 3 base, Michael 3 base, the Victoria 3 Head & Body morphs and a monthly PC membership. I don't do V3 or M3 much anymore except as the occasional background character. But I still use Aiko 3 and Hiro 3.

Have you converted them iRay, or even 3DL? Or are you still rendering them with their original skins? 

JonnyRay said:

9-Dec-2006

WOW! 844 orders is a lot! I have 777, exactly. I had 776, but just got the freebie Sci fi hover cart!

777.jpg
    1534 x 1403 - 69K

Some really long time members in this daz community.

Over the years I have picked up quite a few items through PC sales and bundles to round out my library. Some sit there unusued for now, While others have become regular parts of my renders.

I don't really know about Zygote other than what's been said around the forums. For me, DAZ has been the mainstay of the 3D industry, followed by Renderosity as places I use for purchases. RDNA back in the day for some stuff, and of course, deviantart and shareCg for some stuff has been great for filling out the ranks.

I do find myself commissioning artists a lot now for specific sets. Especially the anime style armours.

I really appreciate everyones replies, and look forward to more.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Victoria 3 Base, Sept. 13, 2005.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    JonnyRay said:

9-Dec-2006

1053 orders. That includes a near five-year hiatis when I pigheadedly refused to move from Poser/Victoria 4 to Studio Genesis (2,3,8). Explains where my lunch money has gone.

• March 2004 - Victoria 3.0 Base and Victoria 3.0 Head Morph Pak...

"Only" 559 orders later and still going strong! lol.  Like rrward I too went on a long hiatus when I refused to move from V4 to Genesis (though, I did get some basic Genesis stuff before giving up).  When I came back Genesis 8 was the new hotness.  I switched to Daz Studio (from Poser) and now I have almost all the G8 base characters and my addiction is stronger than ever...

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited November 2019

11/9/14 I bought Bot Genesis but I have absolutely no recollection of doing this whatsoever.

Post edited by Robinson on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

The first order still showing in my order history is dated July 4, 2002.  It wouldn't have been my first purchased based on what it was, so presumably I ordered something prior to that.  I think I ordered Victoria1 on a CD, but not certain anymore.  I no longer use Victoria1 or Victoria2, but still regularly use Victoria3, Michael3, Aiko3, the original Freak, and Genesis1 figures (which also make use of Victoria4 & Michael4 materials and some of that generation of clothing.)  Autofit only works under certain circumstances (a great purchase and a good tool for some things, but can't be used for other things) and attempts to transfer V4/M4 figure shapes to G1 didn't work for some reason I cannot figure out, so generally I make no attempts to recreate figures in newer generations and just use what that generation already has available.  Currently I don't even use anything past Genesis1, although I may make an exception for one or two purchases or freebie items in the future for one-off characters or creatures for a single drawing if appropriate (hasn't happened yet), and I've kicked around the idea of using a recent figure's head with better expression options of the newer figures in conjuction with a collar on older figures but haven't really thought that one through yet.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Daz Studio 3 in 2010

I didn't seem to purchase anything else after; I was using Blender a lot then, and modelling cars iirc.

... Before I modelled the one in my profile pic.

• March 16, 2001 - Charger Map, Millennium Woman Victoria 1 and Millennium Man Michael 1

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    Linton said:
    namffuak said:

Have you converted them iRay, or even 3DL? Or are you still rendering them with their original skins? 

I don't remember the sequence of events anymore, but I do most of my renders in Iray.

Ah - 2,586 orders - seems I have NO self control.blush

• isymcisymc Posts: 36

My first item in cart was Gnasher by Blondie9999, on the 28th of April 2008.

I purchased it together with some generation 3 base figures, but I initally
    came to the DAZ store to buy this lovely creature.

1099 orders since then. 99 seems to be my favorite number :)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited December 2019

It says vicky 3 on march 2005 .. I can remember using her with lightwave 8 back then .. man I'm too old cheeky

Post edited by Padone on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Oldest showing is April 27, 2004 and that was for DS beta.