Long hair on toons?

I recently picked up @JoeQuick's Toon Girl, and so far every (female) hair I've tried to apply to her has been distorted in some way or another. Long hairs veer sharply inwards right below the jaw, and short hairs just disappear inside the head. On one hand, given what an extreme morph she is, it's not surprising that there would be challenges. On the other hand, though, there has to be a solution. What's more frustrating is that the problem is much less pronounced with Toon Boy; while Greer hair also disappears inside his head like it does hers, I can use other male hairs, even for other generations, and they work as expected. Even male hairs applied to Toon Girl work better. So my questions are:

1) Is there some trick to using hair with Toon Girl?

2) Are there some hairs that work better with Toon Girl? I notice that nearly all the promo images of her use the same hair (Sloane), which uses the Girl in its promos, so is that one optimized for toony shapes? I don't have other female toons, so maybe this is just a known issue that I hadn't encountered before.

tghair-charli.png
2400 x 2400 - 4M
tghair-karyssa.png
2400 x 2400 - 4M
tghair-lyam.png
2400 x 2400 - 4M
tghair-greer.png
2400 x 2400 - 3M

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,671

I think the easiest way is if you can find some dforce hair and then simulate it.

Some other options as I see it.

- Try to add cloth dforce to the hair - might need some weight painting for dforce influence.

- You can create a custom morph for the wanted hair; if you know how to do that.

- Weight paint the lower part of the hair so it follows the head instead of the shoulders. But that might have other unwanted affects depending on your pose.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

Don't fit the hair to the figure just parent it and fit it using the XYZ dials and smoothing if necassary.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172
    edited November 2019
    felis said:

I think the easiest way is if you can find some dforce hair and then simulate it.

Some other options as I see it.

- Try to add cloth dforce to the hair - might need some weight painting for dforce influence.

- You can create a custom morph for the wanted hair; if you know how to do that.

- Weight paint the lower part of the hair so it follows the head instead of the shoulders. But that might have other unwanted affects depending on your pose.

Actually, I did try some dForce hair earlier, but didn't render out the results, so here are some now:

Of the three dForce hairs I  own, only Elyssa ponytail really works as expected. Rozarie and MRL Long Hair, like Greer hair, seem to be somewhat confused about where the character's head actually is. Long Hair is presented with and without simulation.

I could learn to make morphs for the hair, which would be a good idea in and of itself, but I don't want to be limited in my selection of hairs if there's a way to fix the character itself so that this doesn't happen. Ditto weight painting: it's something I should learn how to do, but it shouldn't be the answer to this problem.

scorpio said:

Don't fit the hair to the figure just parent it and fit it using the XYZ dials and smoothing if necassary.

I was really, REALLY hoping this wouldn't be the solution.

tghair-elyssa.png
    750 x 750 - 538K
    tghair-rozarie.png
    750 x 750 - 689K
    tghair-longhairnosim.png
    750 x 750 - 835K
    tghair-longhairsim.png
    750 x 750 - 649K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,671

I am surprised that the dForce hair doesn't do better.

Some comments regarding that.

It is essential that the hair doesn't intersect with the character before starting the simulation. I do not know if the hairs might have some morphs to help with that.

The hair in your renders is clipping through the head. I would assume that only will happens if it does before starting the simulation.

And I always recommend using timeline for simulation. That was you can see along the simulation what happens and also try to correct it with some middlesteps.

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,699

The product should include custom fits for the two hairs I used in the promos.  Sloane and Orphelia I think?

One option for other hairs is just to scale and position the hair until it's where you want it and then parent it to the head.