Daz Studio Crashing/Freezing when rendering large scene

Getting directly to it, am having problems with Daz Studio crashing or freezing, when trying to render an image from a large scene, the second screenshot shows the scene am trying to render. It is a large scene and I can cut down on some of the assets in the scene for sure, but even before I added all the trees I was having issues with Daz crashing while rendering.

The first screenshot shows when Daz froze, I was monitoring the memory via “task manager > performance” and a “wise memory program”, and did see memory go right up to 95% before it froze, then % dropped to what you see.

I did a google search and did find threads on this forum from 2017/2018, however, these threads are old but did confirm my conclusion that memory was running out and why Daz was freezing or crashing.

Am certain if I can just figure out how to get past the “Rendering” stage and past “Loading/Processing scene”, then good to go with large scenes. I did plan to upgrade to 32GB memory at some point and could do that at end of year maybe, but am hoping people here might have some tips on rendering large scenes that can help.

As I said, I can cut down on assets, I have them saved as scene subsects so I can load what I need, I could split trees, roads, grass, street lamps up into subsects, and maybe even split houses up into more súbsects, is some furniture in them (baths/showers etc).

I am able to load the full scene am trying to render as well, as I deliberately tested to see if there were issues with loading scene as well.

I am using dome and scene with Orestes Iray HDRI Skydomes – Harvest Moon but did crash with sun-sky only as well. 

Houses built with Room Creator Version 2 and Room Creator Exteriors

Fence Collection

Trees are from Orestes Tree Vol 1

Road and Lampposts are from Streets

Sorry for the long read but more information the better I figure. 

frozenwhenrenderingcrop.png
1653 x 921 - 427K
streetlookwithtrees.png
1680 x 1050 - 2M

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I've run into a similar situation having moved from 4.10 to 4.12

In 4.10 (I don't know about 4.11 because I skipped that version I think) the selection plane would not load geometry to the video card that it was ignoring, allowing me to set up an entire city-scape for a comic series which would create consitancy throughout the comics of where everything was located.

Whe I updated to 4.12, the selection plane no longer worked the same way and everything ignored or not, was loaded to the video card. Of course it won't fit by a long shot so it drops to CPU and... Daz crashes.

The only "fix" I can think of is to drop back down to 4.10 to be able to use the selection plane again.

Enough of my story, I just realized you mentioned nothing of using instances, which may help a lot in your case. Such as create 1 lamp post, then go to edit -> create -> New Node Instance (or instances to create more than 1 at a time)

Do the same with the trees as well as fence sections and any houses that are similar. Even road sections that are the same.

Basically, anything that has an exact duplicate object, remove the duplicates and use instances. Then in the render settings where you have General, Render Mode, Progressive Render, etc.

Select the Optimization section and the very last setting (Instancing Optimization) change from speed to memory.

• Just more information as just tried to render the same scene but this time all trees deleted.

the first image is before I started rendering and can see my memory usage is high

second image is after I started rendering, can see Daz studio is frozen but it does sort itself out

the third image is after it sorts itself out and basically unfreezes, timer is active but is slow, moves every 2 seconds, then it crashed. I did get a Daz bug report this time.

maybe I should contact Daz support?

memorybeforestarting render.png
    1680 x 1050 - 948K
    memoryafterstarting.png
    1680 x 1050 - 323K
    afterrenderingimagebeforeprocessing.png
    1680 x 1050 - 412K
  •  

Enough of my story, I just realized you mentioned nothing of using instances, which may help a lot in your case. Such as create 1 lamp post, then go to edit -> create -> New Node Instance (or instances to create more than 1 at a time)

Do the same with the trees as well as fence sections and any houses that are similar. Even road sections that are the same.

Basically, anything that has an exact duplicate object, remove the duplicates and use instances. Then in the render settings where you have General, Render Mode, Progressive Render, etc.

Select the Optimization section and the very last setting (Instancing Optimization) change from speed to memory.

This is certainly something I can try but would mean having to go through and have to place everything again, I think it's mostly the houses and the trees though, does appear that roads/grass I have actually load/save very quickly

• notretsamnotretsam Posts: 74
    edited November 2019

ran a test after I applied the fix to houses only and it worked. 2minutes 23 seconds to render this image, got they dam white spots though which not sure how to fix.

But yeah "instances" is the way to go, the first two houses on left and right are actually built houses, the other 6 houses in the scene are instances

thank you very much kaotkbliss :)

edit* forgot to add, that is without doing this part as well >>>>>>Select the Optimization section and the very last setting (Instancing Optimization) change from speed to memory.

testsuccess.png
    1024 x 576 - 755K
    Post edited by notretsam on
  • so today I tried a test with a street and 5 models, then 3 models, daz crashed while rendering again.

This is using node instances on two houses and 2 trees, I could cut down to 1 house and use node instances related to the 1 house instead, and maybe even go down to 1 tree instead of 2, but this is getting a bit restrictive.

any other tips?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Did Studio just become unresponsive or did it crash to the desktop?

I would check to see what size your swap file is as it might be a memory problem. You need as much, or preferably more, virtual ram as you have dynamic ram.

• crash message came up, added screenshot to show.

Think I have a solution, I can render the location and models separately, then use photoshop to layer models image on top of the location. also, means I can reuse the location scene subsect and render off it at a later day as well.

There are also some more assets in the scene I can cut back on and turn into node instances that help as well. 

Still happy to hear any other tips or suggestions, more the better :)

bugreport.png
    1680 x 1050 - 2M