Reset origin point?

llastffirst1234llastffirst1234 Posts: 55
edited November 2019 in The Commons
How can I reset the origin point of an object?
Post edited by llastffirst1234 on

Comments

• In Daz Studio, you can use the joint-editor tool (alt-shift-J) (or is it ctrl-shift-J?) (or go to the menu bar and select 'Tools>Joint editor') and move the green dot with the arrows to a new point (applies to props as well as figures). This will make the object rotate around the new point.

Or did you mean setting it to load at 0,0,0 in the global scene? (in which case you'd need to manually position it and then resave it). Most props and figures should start from there anyway (in which case using 'zero figure pose' from the parameters menu (right-click and select) should reposition it (or manually enter '0' under 'Translate-x/y/z' if you don't want to zero the whole pose.

• Why are you asking? If the issue is that you selct a figure and its centre point is far from the figure that probably means that the figure has been moved by the root bone (the hip on humans), in which case a better fix than adjsuting the joints is to zero the tasnlations on the hip and apply them to figure instead. Store poses should translate the hip only to keep the feet on the floor, and for placement in multi-figure poses - plaement within a scene should be handled with the figure node.

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 278
    edited May 2020

Make sure I understand here.  I have a rigged figure rope with 16 bones. For reasons lost in time, it's "zero" psotion is the centre point at 0.00 / -70.06 / 0.00, when I really want that to be 0.00 / 0.00 / 0.00. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to get away from this offset.Any suggestions?

Is Silent Winter's suggestion to move it to where I want it to be, save it (as ??? asset, ??? scene subset) and then reload?

It's an issue for me because I'm trying to use transfer utility to rig a variant of the rope, but I end up with my new rope geomety offset 70.06 from the bones.

Thanks, Lx

Post edited by stitlown on
  • Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433

Hello, I've been looking for this information for a very long time now. I had learned to do this several years ago, and used it to create 2 Articulated Props. I lost the use of the computer I had the information stored on several years ago. Now I am making some new products, and looking to either rig my first one as a Figure, or set the origin point so that one part rotates around the origin point on the correct axis, while the part it is attached to does not move. It will basically do what a rigged figure version would do, but without having to do all the other steps needed to make the part behave the way I want it. Then when I Save the Memorized model as an articulated prop, I should be able to preserve the information of the Origin Point's new position. Then I can zip it and share it.

Thanks foir the information concerning how to do this.