iray not able to see all angles?

LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801

Hi, i wanted to make photos of an object but at some camera angles it was not visibles and the renders got empty, now I checked the live iray system and saw how it disappeared at some angles.

I did record it:

(here was a video showing the problem, did remove it, cuz no longer needed).

Is it a bug with the model or is it a general thing ?

Post edited by Loony on

Comments

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited November 2019

Seems like a bug to me... I only notice that sort of thing happen with the OpenGL preview, never with the IRAY preview.

It might be specific to that item... Does it do this with any other items you try?

Does it render fine, even though you can not see it in the preview?

Have you tried the spot-render, if you go back to the normal textured view display, at the point where it disappears?

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801

Well... the good old "restart" (damn I should try it next time...) did fixed it, I just loaded the prop to test it and... NOW it works...

Seems like just a hickup at that moment ;) I had it already at some other moment, my rendering was instant done and... empty. I had to move the thing a bit and then it worked.

Confusing, but like we know, every software can have hickups, even if we do all correct :)

Thanks anyway for thinking about solutions!

• Looks to me like the camera was going below the ground. The camera will fail to see anything if it goes below ground. Next time this happens, you can try disable "Draw Ground" in render settings > environment.

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801
    edited February 2020
    Etheral said:

Looks to me like the camera was going below the ground. The camera will fail to see anything if it goes below ground. Next time this happens, you can try disable "Draw Ground" in render settings > environment.

so under the grid if I enable it? (visible)

btw... is there a way to move that grid? And does that help the models to stay better?

I did reproduce it, and youre right, if I enable the grid and see it and going under it, its gone.

Post edited by Loony on
  • Trollkind said:

btw... is there a way to move that grid? And does that help the models to stay better?

The grid shows you where the ground plane (y=0) is, you can't move it - but you can move the object upwards, which would have the same effect. I don't know what you mean by the second bit of your question.

• Trollkind said:
    Etheral said:

Looks to me like the camera was going below the ground. The camera will fail to see anything if it goes below ground. Next time this happens, you can try disable "Draw Ground" in render settings > environment.

so under the grid if I enable it? (visible)

I did reproduce it, and youre right, if I enable the grid and see it and going under it, its gone.

Yes, by default the ground is drawn at y=0 (the grid) and automatically adjusts itself lower if an object is moved below the grid, allowing the camera to also move below the grid. There's an option in render settings > environment called "Ground Position Mode" which is set to "Auto" by default which results in this behaviour. You can also set it to "Manual" and set whatever height you want for the ground so you can move it to be very far below the grid.