crappy renders

GnawsGnaws Posts: 44
edited January 2014 in New Users

The DAZ splash screen renders are beautiful!!

After following a "Fiery Genesis" tutorial on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpxHLXXctrE), mine looked like it was done by a taxodermy major at a community college!!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/268/7kx7.png

Post edited by Gnaws on

Comments

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

I just loaded up the Ready to render Fiery Genesis scene in DAZ Studio Formats -> My DAZ 3D Library -> DAZ Studio Tutorias and rendered it. I've attached the render and render settings I used.

It looks like the lights are too intense in your scene. Can you try rendering the pre-made scene?

fg1_setup.jpg
    1442 x 1039 - 253K
    fg1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 302K
    edited January 2014

I did some more experiments. I think you somehow got the light set loaded twice. I could get a render like yours by loading the light set twice. Note that you cannot do this by just clicking on the light set twice, since the light set will delete all existing lights when you load it. I was able to do it by loading the light set into an empty scene and then merging the ready to render scene with the lights into my scene that already had a light set. I also lost the background images when I did that, and the background images is missing in your render.

Go to Scene Tab. You should have only:

Genesis
    Magus Shorts
    Magus Jacket
    Aldora Hair
    light - side left
    light - side right
    light specular 02
    light specular 01
    UberEnvironment2 1
    Camera 1

Make sure you don't have two sets of the lights.

Post edited by mark128 on
  • GnawsGnaws Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

@Mark128 - Thanks so much for taking the time to looking into this. THAT is a pretty swell render. I'll try your solutions when I get home tonite.

Do you ever use 3Delight? Is it worth struggling with?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,564
    edited December 1969

To render with even a remotely decent image you need to use 3Delight. QpenGL renders cant even come close.

edited December 1969

gnaws said:
    @Mark128 - Thanks so much for taking the time to looking into this. THAT is a pretty swell render. I'll try your solutions when I get home tonite.

Do you ever use 3Delight? Is it worth struggling with?

I use 3Delight all the time. I have Luxrender and the Luxus interface to it. I have fiddled with it a bit, but don't use it very much. I do almost all of my renders in 3Delight.

3Delight.is a robust production render engine used in many Hollywood movies. You can check out 3Delight at their web site.

Whatever render engine you use, there will be a learning curve to get good results.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    To render with even a remotely decent image you need to use 3Delight. QpenGL renders cant even come close.

From what these guys say, I'm not entirely convinced.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17016/

edited December 1969

@Mark128 - you were right. Somehow my render settings were askew. This looks MUCH better!! And to be honest, it's all I require of DAZ. 3Delight looks super cool, but I don't wanna dick around with more software, blah blah.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/819/fn9n.png

Thanks again, Mark!!!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

3Delight IS the included renderer on Studio. That thread you linked to discusses using the stand alone 3Delight as a supplement to DS...primarily to free up DS so you can do other things, while rendering.

But in order to use 3Delight, you need to have your render settings properly set...which means Level 4/Best. All the others are settings for using the OpenGL renderer. All the shaders and materials in Studio are geared towards being used by 3Delight, not OpenGL.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    3Delight IS the included renderer on Studio. ......you need to have your render settings properly set...which means Level 4/Best.

So by using "Level 4 Best" you're using 3Delight? That's all? That seems to address alot of problems. =]

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

gnaws said:
    mjc1016 said:
    3Delight IS the included renderer on Studio. ......you need to have your render settings properly set...which means Level 4/Best.

So by using "Level 4 Best" you're using 3Delight? That's all? That seems to address alot of problems. =]

Yep...that's 3Delight.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,564
    edited December 1969

gnaws said:
    mjc1016 said:

About exactly what I said, don't use OpenGL renders (which are anything below 4)

edited December 1969

gnaws said:
    Totte said:

From what these guys say, I'm not entirely convinced.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17016/

As mjc1016 pointed out this is a thread about the stand alone version of 3Delight.

3Delight is a commercial production render engine used in many Hollywood movies. You can see some of those at 3Delight web site. You can also see the pricing information to buy a stand alone copy (expensive).

DAZ Studio (free) comes with a copy of 3Delight also free. This is because DAZ has negotiated a licensing agreement with 3Delight that allows them to give away a copy of 3Delight. The only restriction on this DAZ Studio version is that it can only be run from DAZ Studio. It can use all the cores on your processor, but you cannot run it as a batch job in the background.

At the 3Delight web site you can get a one free license to a version of 3Delight that can only be run as a batch job, but is limited to using only 4 processor cores. (Not much of a limitation actually). This version can be used with DAZ Studio, but it is a little complicated. That is what the thread is talking about. How to use the free stand alone version of 3Delight to do batch rendering, which you cannot do with the version that comes with DAZ Studio.

I recommend you forget about the stand alone 3Delight for the moment and concentrate on learning the basics of DAZ Studio and using the included version of 3Delight before worrying about things like this.